Italy- Superlega 2018/2019

• Juantorena was injured at the start of second set (score was 4-1 for Lube). He clashed with Simon after a block.

Because he acted like he broke his pelvis, Fefe took him out and never gave him another chance despite his continues requests.

As you can see at the end of the match, there was an argument between coach and player

Yeah. that's reason why Lube had been struggling since set 3. Monza deserved applause as well. They played tough even without Oleh.

• Orduña seemed to have a hard time mixing the offense at the last part of tiebreak. Bruno only have to think about Sokolov and Simon in order to win. Orduña had to think about everyone else. Ghafour according to the livescore had a good match. Maybe he should've done the same instead of letting the crucial ball go to Botto or Donovan on the pipe. Hesitation can kill.

The coach should've also used Buchegger for the block or attack when Botto was in front. A tough loss for Monza. They almost had it. They played well for a team missing its best player but it's a loss that will keep them awake at night for a while.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Juantorena was injured at the start of second set (score was 4-1 for Lube). He clashed with Simon after a block.

Because he acted like he broke his pelvis, Fefe took him out and never gave him another chance despite his continues requests.

As you can see at the end of the match, there was an argument between coach and player

Bravo to De Giorgi for putting Osmany back into his place.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Not having a good opposite isolates your OH. Can you just imagine a top team without any good opposite around? Lube basically lost all major tournaments three seasons ago before Sokolov. That's a big example how an opposite can change everything.

Unfortunately, I will have to answer Rains once more. I will ignore the fact that you changed the discussion by mentioning opposites again and will focus on the bolded part. So what exactly was Sokolov's contribution? He turned Lube from a team that had won almost nothing to a team that... won almost nothing? That's a big example of how an opposite actually didn't change much. (Although truth be told, Sokolov was brilliant in the CL final in Kazan and I still blame Christenson for overusing the not-reliable-towards-the-end-of-sets Sander at the end of that notorious tie-break).

Trento's reception is overrated. Probably why Scarpetta hates the statisticians upgrading Grebennikov's numbers to something legendary. :gone:One thing you failed to notice is Lube's improvement and they are even a more complete team than Trentino on paper even the bench is better for Lube. Trento play without an opposite. Lube plays with Sokolov. If Lube plays like they do on paper, Trentino's going to have a harder time even with better reception on their side as Vettori's best day just can't beat Sokolov on even his normal days.

Watch the ECH 2013 semifinal in Copenhagen again and correct that sentence! You clearly overevaluate Sokolov.

• Is the tie-break or at least highlights of those epic few points from Lube-Monza uploaded somewhere already? Monza's YouTube channel only showed two points after 14-14. Would've liked to watch it. Seems like Monza did a Zenit Kazan. But that's just how it goes in volleyball. You know the ever-valid volleyball rule about the 2-set lead, no matter if you opponent has been weakened by a key player missing or not.

• Is the tie-break or at least highlights of those epic few points from Lube-Monza uploaded somewhere already? Monza's YouTube channel only showed two points after 14-14. Would've liked to watch it. Seems like Monza did a Zenit Kazan. But that's just how it goes in volleyball. You know the ever-valid volleyball rule about the 2-set lead, no matter if you opponent has been weakened by a key player missing or not.

The drama started at 11-14.

• Just took the time to watch the replay of Coppa Italia Modena vs Milano. Milano was leading in every single set, but they managed to close the first set and then lost the next three sets in a row. It's an entertaining game with big shifts in momentum. Milano was so dominating at the net in the first set that I was curious how many stuff blocks they made. They were leading by at max 5 and 6 points respectively in the 2nd and 4th sets, but Modena destroyed them with jump serves. All in all, the offensive power of the three wing spikers of Milano was inferior to Modena. Nimir is an explosive opposite but lacks in absolute height and techniques.

Holt's return to the court is also an important factor for Modena's marginal victory.

• Unfortunately, I will have to answer Rains once more. I will ignore the fact that you changed the discussion by mentioning opposites again and will focus on the bolded part. So what exactly was Sokolov's contribution? He turned Lube from a team that had won almost nothing to a team that... won almost nothing? That's a big example of how an opposite actually didn't change much. (Although truth be told, Sokolov was brilliant in the CL final in Kazan and I still blame Christenson for overusing the not-reliable-towards-the-end-of-sets Sander at the end of that notorious tie-break).

Lube could've masked their weakness in the opposite position in the regular season during the 2016-16 season by winning it, they couldn't deny the reality of Ivan Miljkovic going through the twilight of his career during the playoffs. Obviously they needed a change in the opposite. Won Coppa Italia and the Scudetto in 2016-17 season with Sokolov.

Everyone knows Lube was stronger in 2017-18 campaign than any other teamsin Superlega but it's nobody's fault from the players that they've won nothing.

The management just doomed them to a silver medal finish by disarraying their foreigner allocations. Who to choose: Sander/Candellaro or Kovar/Stankovic?

Big headache for any team while Grebennikov plays as libero. Some may say Juantorena burned that season on the ground with his social media antics but not having that particular rhythm you get with playing your strongest team is in my opinion the biggest culprit of Lube's failed season.

OT: I'm not sure why you're blaming Christenson for that loss in CL Final. That is in my opinion one of his best games he played but Juantorena's mind(and body) switched off and Sokolov only pushed himself while having an injury. Wise men say go with your gut says and that didn't work for Sander. Shame as their connection only worked wonderfully in the national team after the club season but still Juantorena having a terrible match against Zenit Kazan in the final is always the worst time to have that moment. Just sucks for Lube as they could've ended their campaign with a victory.

...But I'm still thinking even if Lube won Scudetto and CL, they still can't get away from the fact that Kovar had a cannaboid positive doping result. I'm not sure what CEV and FIPAV will do but I'm guessing Perugia and Kazan will win either way.:lol:

Watch the ECH 2013 semifinal in Copenhagen again and correct that sentence! You clearly overevaluate Sokolov.

Pure Nostalgia.

2013 vs 2017-19 Vettori

Everyone wants a piece of that 2013 but Vettori just can't deliver so far.

#FreeBritney

• Modena had some unfortunate injuries this week. Kaliberda and Christenson were out.

Keemink did well in my opinion as setter but there are qualities of Christenson that I missed from him particularly the defense and block.

Kaliberda wasn't really that much of an absence as Pierotti held the reception for Bednorz when they need it. Maybe if Bednorz played as bad as he could possibly be then Kaliberda's assistance could've been necessary for this game.

Zaytsev didn't have a particularly good attacking night but held his serve and caught Padova's lead at the tiebreak which made Padova missing the upset.

Louati played really well but his spike went out at the last stop. Just unfortunate like Monza against Lube in the Coppa Italia.

#FreeBritney

• Hello

Does anyone know how to get a ticket for Modena vs Perugia this Saturday? I tried to buy it on vivaticket yesterday; but they were sold out in 20mins. I got nothing.

Will there be someone selling the ticket in front of the stadium before the match starts?

• Hello

Does anyone know how to get a ticket for Modena vs Perugia this Saturday? I tried to buy it on vivaticket yesterday; but they were sold out in 20mins. I got nothing.

Will there be someone selling the ticket in front of the stadium before the match starts?

Have you tried the winter package on vivaticket?

Just took the time to watch the replay of Coppa Italia Modena vs Milano. Milano was leading in every single set, but they managed to close the first set and then lost the next three sets in a row. It's an entertaining game with big shifts in momentum. Milano was so dominating at the net in the first set that I was curious how many stuff blocks they made. They were leading by at max 5 and 6 points respectively in the 2nd and 4th sets, but Modena destroyed them with jump serves. All in all, the offensive power of the three wing spikers of Milano was inferior to Modena. Nimir is an explosive opposite but lacks in absolute height and techniques.

Holt's return to the court is also an important factor for Modena's marginal victory.

Last season he was amazing and now... even his serve which was his main weapon is now ordinary. I don't think it's just technique that's missing. Maybe he is going through something.

#FreeBritney

• Thanks to flosports in US, I can now follow the Superlega together with Coppa Italia, etc, this season. Transmission quality, though, is not that satisfactory, considering that it's a paid subscription service.

Modena vs Padova is another match (at least the 3rd match recently) where the underdogs couldn't control their nerves when facing a golden opportunity to close the game. Zaytsev's recent form in attack is sub-par from his standard --- did this happen after he got an eye injury, or even before that?

Also, what's everyone's thought on Travica's chance of going back to NT? His performance looks pretty solid!

• I'm not 100% sure about the block touch point for Urnaut. It could've been just a shadow of the ball off the thumb of De Cecco.

#FreeBritney

• Travica is playing very well indeed and he is playing together with one of the most promising MBs of Italy. I would definitely give him a trial for VNL if I were Blengini.

#FreeBritney

• De Cecco just doesn't trust Lanza.

#FreeBritney

• Modena's middle attacks are very ineffective tonight but Perugia is closing the gap with their errors.

#FreeBritney

• Anzani's blocking. :thumbdown:

Christenson's setting to his MBs. :thumbdown:

Zaytsev and Atanasijevic are not clicking but Atanasijevic is more dangerous when he's serving though.

#FreeBritney

Edited once, last by Rains ().

• Lanza just aced Bednorz twice in a row. :cheesy:

#FreeBritney

• Christenson is too predictable right now.

He's gone to Zaytsev when the pass is slightly out of the court.

He goes to Holt when the pass is a little tight and near the net and use the pipe when other options does not present itself.

His OHs are scoring and he freezes them during crucial moments of the game. :aww:

#FreeBritney

Edited once, last by Rains ().