Italy- Superlega 2018/2019

• Haven't followed Perugia's matches very closely these days. In the rotation when Lanza is at Position 2, in order to reduce Lanza's burden, Bernardi has arranged Leon to spike from Position 5 such that Lanza doesn't need to move so far to Position 4 after reception. This seems to work quite well. When has Perugia started this arrangement?

It has been used for a while. They don't need to reverse the positions during reception, and Lanza don't need to travel across the court to attack. I think it works better than letting Lanza attack at Position 2.

• Jenia passed between Juantorena and Sander. Balaso passes between Juantorena and Leal. That's the difference. Tonight De Giorgi ordered a 2 people passing line to cover Leal.

• Jenia passed between Juantorena and Sander. Balaso passes between Juantorena and Leal. That's the difference. Tonight De Giorgi ordered a 2 people passing line to cover Leal.

So far, Lube's transfers in this season: Bruno and Simon are good deals, but Leal was a bad one. I think if Lube keeps Sander other than buying Leal, they would be very competitive, either in Superlega or CL.

• IMHO Simon is a waste of money so far. He's useless on the net. Cester and Stankovic have way better blocking skills.

Simon's status is not stable all the time, but he saved Lube a few times in clutch time.

Lube vs Kazan in FCWC, Simon's fast attacking helped Lube come back at 9:14 in set 5

Lube vs Monza last week, Somon's key block saved Lube at 11:14 in set 5.

Lube vs Trentino yesterday, Simon's serves crashed Trento's reception in set 5.

A key player always is the one who can help the team in crucial time, not those having some amazing stats in normal games, but choking in clutch time. Just my 2 cents.

• So far, Lube's transfers in this season: Bruno and Simon are good deals, but Leal was a bad one. I think if Lube keeps Sander other than buying Leal, they would be very competitive, either in Superlega or CL.

Leal's reception has been disastrous throughout the season. His value can only be maximized when his team has a receiving opposite like Zaytsev. How did he fare so well in Brazil? Perhaps the standard there is not as high, especially the serving component?

• I don't think Balaso's reception will improve that significantly. He lacks the roundedness with his body and he's too muscular for the typical libero.

Some of the best liberos I feel are capable of playing soccer and they're not even that buff. Maybe I'm wrong and I hope I'm wrong. Dude's fit but not flexible enough to play as we hope or expect him to be for the good of italian volleyball.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Leal's reception has been disastrous throughout the season. His value can only be maximized when his team has a receiving opposite like Zaytsev. How did he fare so well in Brazil? Perhaps the standard there is not as high, especially the serving component?

When Leal was with Sada, the libreo and Ferraz covered most reception space for Leal, so he can focus on attacking.

• Leal's reception has been disastrous throughout the season. His value can only be maximized when his team has a receiving opposite like Zaytsev. How did he fare so well in Brazil? Perhaps the standard there is not as high, especially the serving component?

Ferraz and Sergio weren't considered for the NT so they were mostly about the club along with Leal so I feel they were healthier than the players of Brazil after NT.

Another point is the lack of tall setters for Brazil and there's not a lot of clubs acquiring foreign setters of more than 190 cm.

Most teams in Brazil are defensive minded. I feel like Sada is the only team in Brazil that plays european as they are set up with one powerful OH and a defensive OH as duo.

Correct me if im wrong but brazilian clubs usually goes with two defensive OHs to use the MBs more frequently than in Europe as they rely more on the wings than they do for a well-distributed offensive system.

For Sada, having Leal is a great option as there's not a lot of teams with tall setters anymore and having a player like Leal is great when you can score against smaller blocks.

Lastly, Brazilian clubs usually have one MB for serving and another as float server.

I think Sada have two jump topspin servers with Eder or Isac and Simon when he was still with them and now it's Le Roux who is a great server when he's in form.

So weaker serving teams aren't going to push off Sada easily when they can't do the same to them. It's not always true but serve is not that key component because of the two defensive OHs but can be crucial when you need them in a tight game.

But for me... I feel blocking is more an issue for Superliga than the serve.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• I don't agree. Throughout the match, he is giving way too much space to attackers. If the reception is good, they are automatically attaciking against a single block.

• I don't agree. Throughout the match, he is giving way too much space to attackers. If the reception is good, they are automatically attaciking against a single block.

Are you sure you watched this game? Simon had 5 blocks in this match, then you said "he is giving way too much space to attackers."

He is the best blocker of this match.

• So I watched the Gold medal match highlights between Lube and Perugia here. I really don't follow Superlega but here are my observations:

+ Simon had a couple of stuff blocks, I don't get what you're saying he was not effective at the net?

+ I've never seen Sokolov played this good (considering after injury), even better than CL Final 2018 I must say

+ Leon is really the guy who can turn around matches (again CL Final 2018); and is it just me or does both Leon and Zhu have a similar-ish approach when attacking the ball? Just 1-2 steps then jump

+ The other Italian? MB from Lube I think he was pretty impressive can't figure out his name

+ Leal, I don't think he was bad as what all of you are making him out to be, at least not on the highlight video I watched above

I was thinking it will be a blowout for Perugia as what all of you were alluding to, but Lube almost won I say they have a pretty decent team. Again if not for Leon and his ridiculous serves during clutch times, i think this was a pretty close match and Lube almost took it. This match should make me follow Superlega more closely in future!

• Simon made Lanza looked good. :lol:

#FreeBritney

• I just think Lube lost all concentration in the latter sets.

It hurts that Juantorena is already too old.

It also doesn't make sense to me not to use Kovar as an additional opposite who can receive.

This is the same point where Lube lost in last season.

The 6 service ace vs 12 of Perugia practically made it to tiebreak mostly on Leon. His serving is just on another level. You can't say that's luck if it's happening all the time.

When you're serving like that... It's just hard to come back for an opponent as it's easier to score from reception than during serving unless you can do the same or if their defense absorbs the pressure which Lube with their tired legs and aging bodies... just can't possibly overcome. Not to mention the lack of confidence in themselves. It's just an avalanche and they have to figure it out as taking down Trentino, Modena or Perugia in up to five games when the playoffs come is harder without a youth core.

#FreeBritney

• I don't think Balaso's reception will improve that significantly. He lacks the roundedness with his body and he's too muscular for the typical libero.

Reception is difficult to improve. Training helps to improve defense much better than improving reception. For improving reception, he needs to play more matches and receive more balls. It takes time.

I just think Lube lost all concentration in the latter sets.

It hurts that Juantorena is already too old.

It's just an avalanche and they have to figure it out as taking down Trentino, Modena or Perugia in up to five games when the playoffs come is harder without a youth core.

The averge age of Lube's player is higher than that of the other three teams. The physical conditions of the old players drop more than young players during matches. In the F4 of Italian Cup, Lube played a 5-set match in the semifinal and had less time to recover comparing to Perugia. It was obvious that the their physical conditions were worse than their opponents in the 4th and 5th sets, especically for the players who are over 30.

However, during the playoffs, they will only play maximum two matches per week, including CEV CL. This gives them time to recover for the next match. It's still quite challenging, but better than playing matches consecutively. We will see how it goes.

• I re-watched the match again.

Leon's services at 19-18, 19-19 were playable .Too bad Balaso and Kovar couldn't handle it ( they should have). Massari instead of Kovar could be a better choice.

Age wasn't a factor.

Balaso made many mistakes both in defense and reception.

Leal was absolutely terrible. He was the main factor of Perugia's comeback at the third set. Many reception mistakes. Even Juantorena was trying to hide him on reception, which explains the tragedy :)

Lanza did what Zaytsev was doing last year. I think he played a great game .

Sokolov as fourth reception option is the worst decision ever. Every ball he touched turned into an ace. What a waste.

For me De Cecco was the real MVP of the match. Fabulous !

Colaci was another hero for Perugia.

I don't understand how you can blame Osmany for the last ball (13-12). That was a terrible reception by Leal, very difficult set to score against triple block.

His every good serve was cancelled by the Lube's blocking mistakes.

I don't care the direct blocks, Simon's blocking is a big liability throughout the match. If you watched last years CL Final, you will understand the difference between Stankovic and Simon. Simon can't react quickly .

What I don't understand is ; Leal is two times MVP of World Club Championship. He was there , he won it against Kazan.

• So far, Lube's transfers in this season: Bruno and Simon are good deals, but Leal was a bad one. I think if Lube keeps Sander other than buying Leal, they would be very competitive, either in Superlega or CL.

Personally, I still believe Christenson is the biggest what-if for Lube. Not Candellaro :lol: nor Sander and Grebennikov(although Grebennikov's the second biggest what-if for me).

I am a big fan of Bruno but changing your setter is the strangest decision Lube have ever made during the whole mess in Modena-Ngapeth-Stoychev Saga.

We do have arguments and agreements here about Christenson's decision-making but I still see him as a plus over Bruno because while the latter played a very good final four and is considerably a better setter during crucial times, Christenson is "in my opinion" a better volleyball player because of his athleticism and height.

I also find Lube's reception not the worst factor with their constant defeat to Perugia.

Perugia is simply a better serving team and i feel Superlega clubs just can't figure out Leon's serve yet.

The two skills are tied to one another but serve is a weapon you can never count on the men's game to be this consistently a factor in winning matches. It's mostly about the number of serving errors and atleast two or three aces for the winners but not double or at its worst triple!!! It's just not possible but Leon is bending the impossible to reality and that's personally for me even with Sander can really do anything. Someone have to suffer like Grebennikov did in their defeats during the final.

I am mostly disappointed with Leal's attacking... That's absurd in my opinion. From a genuine attacking threat for Sada Cruzeiro to something 30%. Just unacceptable especially if you aren't receiving very well and even with negative reception, he should atleast do better than 40%. It's not like they have a Vettori as their opposite.

Maybe he would've done better with Christenson... That's my what if. Bruno is a great setter and I love his passion but it's like fitting a square to a triangle slot. If they got Lucas... It could've been a different look for Lube and while Simon can do all sort of different things in attack, his connection is just unbelievable with Lucas.

There are also many things a taller setter can do that Bruno can't. On this year of easy service aces for the standard of Superlega, a tall setter could probably fix a reception mistake and set faster to position four without losing consistency like Bruno have not done during awful reception.

Just my two cents.

#FreeBritney

• Wilfredo Leon's highlights in Italian Cup's final (including parts of semi as well).

• Milano 2:1 Siena

Siena almost made a big come back when they're down at 18:23 in set 4, but ends up losing at 30:32.

Poor Siena. :wall: