2019 South American League

• The current South American Club Championship is likely to be replaced by a new tournament called South American League starting this season. Brazilian and Argentinian clubs have come together to create a Champions League tournament of sorts, where the four best placed teams from each country will play against each other for the title. All teams will be split into two groups, including two from each country. The current plan is as follows:

Group 1:

Sada Cruzeiro (BRA)

Sesc-RJ (BRA)

Bolívar (ARG)

Ciudad Vóley (ARG)

Group 2:

EMS Funvic/Taubaté (BRA)

SESI-SP (BRA)

UPCN (ARG)

Second ARG team*

*Lomas was supposed to be the last team, but the club shut down.

The rules so far are kinda weird. In the group round, clubs from the same country will only face each other once, whereas games between Brazilian and Argentinian teams will be played in the format of home and away matches. Semifinals are set to have two teams from each country, meaning if the first and second place teams in a group are from the same country, the second place one will be replaced by the best placed one from the other country.

• I'm personally super excited for this. It's something I've always wanted to see since I began following club volleyball. It should be very entertaining and fun to watch, not to mention great for the development of high level South American volleyball.