South Korea - KOVO V-League 2018/2019 + KOVO Cup 2018

• I mean the coaches could have select a natural wing instead of getting a middle and convert her position to wing.

I think the Korean teams were always going to use them on the wing and that the players were efficient in both positions so the coaches didn't need to convert them to play on the wing.

In Kath Bell case, if she is next to the setter in the front then attacking wise she could spike it from the right side whilst in defence she could be blocking in the middle with the setter either joining her in the blocking or wait behind her for the ball.

For Alexa Olgard case, I think Heungkuk only recruited her because she might have been the best available option they had during that time of the year.

Samantha Middleborn never got to played, so we will never know what was KGC plans for her was.

• baes on the list who is the best option. I think valentina is very good. also, a lot of tall foreign players this season huh.

• baes on the list who is the best option. I think valentina is very good. also, a lot of tall foreign players this season huh.

If she does turn up for the tryout then she will most likely be 1st pick, that is also what some of the head coaches think too. With the exception of the players who has previous played in the V-League, I'm am only familiar with Diouf so I can't really comment on the other players.

I think the first four names on the list is regarded highly as I saw a few reports mentioning them and I believe the list is in order of ranking that KOVO gave them.

Maybe so members here might know a bit more about some of the players on the tryout list and can provide us with some info or their opinions about them.

Here a translated version of the list that I have done (btw some of the player age are incorrect).

• How's the tryout so far? Any links pls

Sorry no links, I don't think they will stream it. Actually, I don't think the tryout has actually started yet. The tryout is in Toronto, Canada so at the moment it is like 3:30 AM over there.

I do have some news about the tryout. I do know that Valentina Diouf is in Toronto, so it look more likely that she will play in Korea next season. It was reported that eight players could not make the tryout and one of those player was Nikoleta Perovic from Montenegro.

I will try to post the list of players who came to the tryout and/or some videos if I can find them later on.

• Very nice of you. I heard collar is injured as well. She played in Philippines after kovo. Not sure if she is 100% ready because the news from Philippines said that during quarter finals her team won in game 1 but lose in game 2 and she didn't play because of her injury. Also, it looks like breneka won't be back next season after winning this year?

• Very nice of you. I heard collar is injured as well. She played in Philippines after kovo. Not sure if she is 100% ready because the news from Philippines said that during quarter finals her team won in game 1 but lose in game 2 and she didn't play because of her injury. Also, it looks like breneka won't be back next season after winning this year?

From what I have seen in previous years, Collar won't need to take part in the actual tryout as she took part in last year tryout.

Yes, Berenika Tomsia won't be returning to the V-League in 2019-20. I previously mentioned that only Collar, Bergsma, Anae and Diouck re-applied to stay in the V-League. Along with Martiniuc, Tomsia decided not to re-applied and from a recent article it seem Tomsia had some struggles during the season.

• From what I have seen in previous years, Collar won't need to take part in the actual tryout as she took part in last year tryout.

Yes, Berenika Tomsia won't be returning to the V-League in 2019-20. I previously mentioned that only Collar, Bergsma, Anae and Diouck re-applied to stay in the V-League. Along with Martiniuc, Tomsia decided not to re-applied and from a recent article it seem Tomsia had some struggles during the season.

That is very emotional.

I am a fan of kovo league just recently and i pretty sure i don't know everything about the league. But, based on my research club team before was approved to have at least 2 foreign players for each team but the organisation believes that they need to priorities the local players that is why the league decided to have only 1 foreign player and i understand that.

But i also understand how foreign players feel. They are totally in a foreign country. Different people, team mates culture and language barriers. Would that be ideal to bring back their old rules which is to get at least 2 foreign player 1 middle blocker and 1 wing spiker. In this case local players will still have a chance and foreign players won't be homesick and lonely and at the same time decrease the pressure.

I heard alot of both negative and positive about the league and one of the positive feedback was good high salary but the pressure is very high and extreme expectation because they have to perform well.

Tbh i don't get the point of getting 1 foreign player only and then let local players play but still foreign players are getting more balls and getting more points where is the experience from the locals come from?

• Could I ask where you got the info about Korean team having two foreign players? From what I know, they have alway had a 1 foreign player per team rule since the inception of the Korean V-League in 2005.

The Korean women's league is very small with only six teams (smaller than both the Thai league and Philippine league). The 6 teams are allow to have between 14-19 players (incl. foreign player) so that means that from the pool of players playing at the highest level in the country is max of 108 players. To me, this is a very small pool of players to draw your NT team from. So if they allow another foreign player in each team that will mean 6 more local players will lose their place and the other remaining local players will get lest game time.

The protection of the local players would be more of decision from the governing organisations like KOVO and KVA whilst the desire to win by using the foreign player often in attacks during the game is a team decision.

Okay, I have managed to find one article confirming which players have shown up for the tryout.

From the 30 invited players, 4. Nikoleta Perovic, 20. Lianma Flores Stable, 21. Yunieska Batista Robles, 23. Verica Simic, 24. Natalia Dumcheva, 27. Tereza Vanzurova, 28. Slavina Koleva, and 30. Hanna Kyrychenko did not show up for the tryout.

Nikoleta Perovic gave up on the tryout because she was tired with visa issues. Whilst Yunieska Batista Robles, Verica Simic, Natalia Dumcheva, and Hanna Kyrychenko failed to get their visa to enter Canada.

And I think Lianma Flores Stable (?), Slavina Koleva (CS Stiinta Bacau, Romania League) and Tereza Vanzurova (?) can't make it to the tryout because they are still playing for their current club.

Sources: 1, 2

Some photos from the tryout:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw8S-vrg1T0/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw8UE4Vg7ep/

thespike.co.kr/article/view.php?no=10914

thespike.co.kr/article/view.php?no=10916

thespike.co.kr/article/view.php?no=10918

• Okay that make sense why they only allow 1 foreign player. Do you know how they created a team? Is it 1 team represent per city. Because Philippines and thailand i believe they have teams from sponsors like products that is why they have a lot of teams.

• Do you know how they created a team? Is it 1 team represent per city. Because Philippines and thailand i believe they have teams from sponsors like products that is why they have a lot of teams.

Sorry, I have no idea how they created a vb team. I do however know that the six women's teams are own by the Korean companies that they are named after (pretty much the same as most of the Japanese teams). IBK Altos is the youngest and was created after the league had started, so I going to take a punt that IBK invested a whole lot of $$$ to start up the team after getting approval from KOVO. Some of the teams do have additional sponsors whilst other team have support from their cities.

• News Update:

• IBK Altos and Hyundai E&C have decided to re-sign Adora Anae and Milagros Collar respectively. Both players will be earning $200K USD in their 2nd season. Sources: 1, 2, 3

This also means that KGC and Hi-Pass released Alaina Bergsma and Fatou Diouck, respectively. I think Alaina will most likely sign a contract with another team, after all these years spent in Korea she's relatively low risk signing.

I was really surpirised to see Taylor's Simpson (Cook) name on the draft list, maybe she's aiming to get back as a potential replacement.

• Yikes! I just googled Alaina Bergsma to make sure I knew who we are talking about. She was Miss Oregon 2012.

This is costly :lol:

• Yikes! I just googled Alaina Bergsma to make sure I knew who we are talking about. She was Miss Oregon 2012.

This is costly :lol:

hahahaha yes she was. and I think for her first or second season at the awards show, she wore her pageant dress too

• KOVO draft is over.

KGC Ginseng Corporation -> Valentina Diouf

Heungkuk Life -> Giulia Pascucci

Gyeongbuk Hi-Pass -> Sherridan Atkinson

GS Caltex Seoul -> Marete Lutz

IBK Altos -> Adora Anae *

Hyundai Hillstate -> Milagros Collar *

*re-signed players

2 surprises: Pascucci and Lutz made it and Hamson and Mayfield, who were among the favourites according to the last news, didn't.

I just wonder how long Pascucci can last in South Korea. She never played Serie A1 as starter. How can she score 30+ points each match? :what:

I love the korean vibes! :love::saint: