Japan - V.League V1 (Division 1, Women) 2018-2019

• I'm pretty sure Mai Okumura will play for Nakhon Ratchasima. Okumura's profile page for the World Championship http://japan2018.fivb.com/en/c…yers/mai-okumura?id=68752 and the Japan team page on the Japanese site https://wchs2018.jva.or.jp/team/jpn.html both show her club is Nakhon Ratchasima Mall VC.

No official words from JT Marvelous about Hattaya joining them. I think it will be unlike now because of her knee injury.

I noticed something when I look at Onuma Sittirak's profile page http://japan2018.fivb.com/en/c…s/onuma-sittirak?id=69261, it state that hercurrent club is JT Marvelous (also on the Thailand team page on the Japanese site https://wchs2018.jva.or.jp/team/tha.html).

Oh heck, I thought we had the mystery solved, and that part of the reason Okumura was going to Thailand was to play with Onuma. Do we know how bad Hattaya's injury is? Season ending? I imagine if it involves long rehab she'd want to do it near home.

• Oh heck, I thought we had the mystery solved, and that part of the reason Okumura was going to Thailand was to play with Onuma. Do we know how bad Hattaya's injury is? Season ending? I imagine if it involves long rehab she'd want to do it near home.

From https://www.facebook.com/B.Hattaya7 it look like she had surgery for her knee sometime toward the end of September.

https://www.facebook.com/B.Hat…4139892/2254354314583390/

https://www.facebook.com/B.Hat…4139892/2255816137770541/

https://www.facebook.com/B.Hat…4139892/2256863740999114/

Using Google translate, a recent news article from SMM Sport it will take 4-5 months after her surgery to heal. Source: http://www.smmsport.com/reader.php?news=223432

• hmm ... I wonder, does this mean that if Hattaya is out for the season that Okumura may not go to Thailand if JT is not going to get Hattaya in return? I have no idea how these transfers/trades work. Is it JT's decision or Okumura's? Or is it that if a decision was agreed to, then tough luck if one side gets injured. The season is about to start and I suppose one or the other of them could suffer a boo boo on the first game of the season, and you couldn't really call off the thing under those circumstances.

Poor Hattaya. I didn't know her injury was that bad. I was really looking forward to watching her all season. What a blessing that would have been! Get well soon, Hattaya :rose:

• Looks like Onuma Sittirak will be with Nakhon Ratchasima for the 2018/2019 season as she was at the team presentation.

An article from SMM Sport about this event also provide a list of the players in the team for 2018/2019 season. Mai Okumura name is also on this list.

Does the JVL allow 2 foreign players to play in the court at the same time?

Not sure but I think so.

The Japanese V-League only allow teams to have 2 foreign players starting from this season but the second foreign player must be from an Asia (not sure if it can be any AVC player or have to be South East Asian)

• The Japanese V-League only allow teams to have 2 foreign players starting from this season but the second foreign player must be from an Asia (not sure if it can be any AVC player or have to be South East Asian)

The second foreigner, as I understand it, can only be from an ASEAN country. So no Chinese or Koreans. I was hoping for a definitive answer to BOSKOBITCH 's question. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks.

I ran across a clip on the youtube about the two Filipino girls. Said they were a bit overwhelmed by the intensity of Japanese training, but they're having fun. I'm kind of excited to see Jaja (Ageo). I don't know the other player who's on Toray. The clip was kind of weird though, mentioning Jaja working alongside 'fellow foreigner' Kenia Carcaces. As far as I know Carcaces isn't with Ageo any more. Ageo

• The second foreigner, as I understand it, can only be from an ASEAN country. So no Chinese or Koreans. I was hoping for a definitive answer to BOSKOBITCH 's question. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks.

I ran across a clip on the youtube about the two Filipino girls. Said they were a bit overwhelmed by the intensity of Japanese training, but they're having fun. I'm kind of excited to see Jaja (Ageo). I don't know the other player who's on Toray. The clip was kind of weird though, mentioning Jaja working alongside 'fellow foreigner' Kenia Carcaces. As far as I know Carcaces isn't with Ageo any more. Ageo

I think the person who wrote the article was not updated about the new team foreign players. they have Katarina Barun now as their new member.

Exciting to see this jaja Santiago from Philippines. she had lot of videos in youtube and she is I think good but has more potential to improve. I think her prev. team in phil asked her to train in wing side to maximize her. she even played OH in Asian games and a top scorer of their team even with limited training. 16 pts against china? that is very impressive.

• they have Katarina Barun now as their new member.

:) I'm glad you just posted that. I'm not familiar with her and was having a heck of a time figuring out a proper romanization of a google translation from Japanese. I was going to go with: Balun Chou Nyaru Catalina :rolll:

I'm adding rosters to the top post in this thread. What a headache! If anyone knows an up-to-date list of properly romanized players for the teams--broken down by position for extra credit--please let me know

• :) I'm glad you just posted that. I'm not familiar with her and was having a heck of a time figuring out a proper romanization of a google translation from Japanese. I was going to go with: Balun Chou Nyaru Catalina :rolll:

I'm adding rosters to the top post in this thread. What a headache! If anyone knows an up-to-date list of properly romanized players for the teams--broken down by position for extra credit--please let me know

The news about Katarina Barun was posted last week in the 2018/2019 Transfer News thread.

Katarina Barun to Ageo Medics (JPN).

Has she cured her fear of flying?

• As I'm getting the rosters posted in the top post of this thread, I came across:

#8 Kaewkalaya Kamulthala for JT Marvelous listed on the Wikipedia page for JT. I know that's questionable but I figure it's one of those insider Thai fans who did it (but got her jersey number wrong--assuming she'd take Okumura's number). She is also listed on the JVA page for JT, but not yet on JT's Roster page.

I'm going with 2 out of 3.

• The New season is almost upon us:

• Nine of eleven teams have a foreigner Middle Blocker (Toyota & Okayama don't).
    • Three have an additional foreign OH (Ageo, JT, PFU)
    • Okayama has no foreigners, but have the largest roster--26
    • Kurobe has the smallest roster--15
    • Where is Yumi Nakagawa?

This MB splurge is going to party! Big Euro-OHs make for boring volleyball. Ironically, the two teams that have them, JT & Toyota, are exciting, fun teams because Brankica is Brankica, and Neriman is Neriman :cheesy:

Are there any deadlines for anything in the V.League? Trading deadline? Do they even do trades? Doesn't seem like it. No rookie draft and such.

Hisamitsu hasn't changed much. Two of their three not really "new" players were on the NT long list--OHs: Inoue and Nakagawa. New setter, Minami Higane, is the younger sister of Toyota's wonderful and goofy Momoko Higane. Wouldn't be surprised if they go undefeated again unless they B-team their way through the season--which would be welcome because their B-Team is good and it would be great for those players to grow. B-Team MB Fumika Moriya is the new Captain.

• Mari Horikawa is the new Toray Captain
    • Mako Kobata is the new JT Captain

Saitama Ageo Medics are the only team to adopt a place name according to the new JVA Vision. I'm going to still call them Ageo.

Four teams were to be added to the League but one of them imploded, so there's only three. I look forward to seeing them play: Okayama, PFU, and KUROBE. We get to see Miyashita and Ebata :thumbup:I wish they let the new team Victorina Himeji play in Division 1 :teach: I have a good feeling about them.

NEC Red Rockets :super:

• The second foreigner, as I understand it, can only be from an ASEAN country. So no Chinese or Koreans. I was hoping for a definitive answer to BOSKOBITCH 's question. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks.

Those Filipino girls are sisters. Younger is Jaja and the older is named Dindin, who has just gone thru pregnancy and ACL injury in the last two years. And both are slow in blocking haha

• Sitenoise, Two foreigners are allowed, but 1 has to be from an ASEAN country, the other can be from anywhere else.

I think we got that part but were wondering if the two foreigners are allowed on court at the same time.

• Katarina Barun is a OPP (just like Mihajlovic).

Is Jaja a OH? (I had a feeling she was a MB). Anyways I see them as one of the teams to beat this season having these 2 big hitters.

Thanks for the Katerina tip. I just guessed at 194cm she would be MB. :/

Re: Jaja Source

From her role as middle blocker during her collegiate days with the Lady Bulldogs, Santiago has been slotted in as a wing spiker for the national team in its stint in the 2018 Asian Games.

For Ageo Medics, however, Santiago will revert to being a middle blocker to suit her new team’s needs.

Please let me know if you see any other errors

• Wait ... Brankica an OPP?

Did you mean Katerina should be OH or OPP?

[EDIT] I found an Italian Wikipedia article that listed Katerina as an OPP for the 2016/17 season with some team, so I'll go with OPP.

• I really wish Jaja will be permanently trained in the wing position but I think it's kinda late now. She's okay/good as a middle hitter but never good as a middle blocker, because she's really slow in blocking. That's why I was glad when she was converted as an OPP/OH in her club and in the NT.