Japan - V.League V1 (Division 1, Women) 2018-2019

• Wow that crazy how none of the officials pick that up.

At the end of the video you can see two Toray players in the background (sitting at the end of the court) smiling that they got away with it.

Was there any comments or announcements from the V-League about this error?

I'm kind of curious, as over in the Korean V-League a referee recently got fined for making a wrong call. post

• The only people (besides Jana) who noticed it were the two smiling Toray players on the bench you mentioned, and the Twitter user who posted about it. No harm, no foul I guess. PFU won the set.

I didn't see it live but I have watched it now and I don't see any PFU players, or the coach, pointing fingers.

I wouldn't know if the V.League was talking about it because I don't 'follow' them anywhere. This isn't like the Korean Kerfuffle where you could see people's heads exploding.

It just occurs to me that it might be weird if a Ref Challenge could be initiated via Twitter :what:

• Sat 23 Feb 2019 Results

Home Team Away Team
    Set 1
    Set 2 Set 3 Set 4 Set 5 Total Stats
    Denso Airybees 3–2 Saitama Ageo Medics 20-25 23-25 25-16 25-21 15-12 108–99 Stats
    JT Marvelous 3–2 PFU BlueCats 25-18 19-25 23-25 25-20 15-8 107–96 Stats

A couple 5-sets to end the Regular Round :drink:

Denso pulls off the victory without Nabeya or Ishida (or Riho Otake, but she's been out most of the season). There was nothing riding on the game, so why not. #1Minami Nakamoto (17/41 @41.5%, 2 aces, 1 block) started at OP. Forty-one swings is about as many as she had taken all year up to this point. Good for her. #3 Yui Asahi (16/51) and Rei Kudo (10/33) played spikers. Good for Yui, too: a very naturally pretty young woman who seems too polite to hit the ball too hard, but she receives well (better than Kudo). She also looks confident on court now that she has a handful of full time endeavors under her belt. She might knock Kudo out of the lineup. Sinéad (24/31 @77.4%, 4 blocks--not enough to surpass Nana Iwasaka!) played a swell game.

Saitama played without MB #11 Kyōko Aoyagi which made it less fun for me, but Saitama lives and dies on the strength of the Keti Show, and 24/60 isn't that good for her. Jaja (8/15, 2 aces, 1 block) wasn't used enough. Jaja has developed a lot. I hope she comes back next season.

Play of the game: Airi Tahara footsies one over the net. Queued up:

----------

JT, What up? They played full strength and beat PFU in 5 sets. I didn't watch it because the only stream I could find was the one where someone films their TV with their iPhone and picks up the audio ambiently from the room, and one of our cats just had a tooth pulled and needed some extra love. No one had stats worth mentioning.

FINAL 8 starts next weekend

• Standings 2019.02.17 -- (Final Standings for the Regular Round)

EASTERN CONFERENCE

POS TEAM POINTS WIN LOSE
    1 NEC Red Rockets 35 11 9
    2 Saitama Ageo Medics
    32 11 9
    3 Denso Airybees
    29 10 10
    4 Hitachi Rivale
    21 8 12
    5 KUROBE Aqua Fairies 7 2 18
    6 PFU Blue Cats 4
    0 20

WESTERN CONFERENCE

POS TEAM POINTS WIN LOSE
    1 Hisamitsu Springs 52 18 2
    2 JT Marvelous 44 14 6
    3 Toyota Body Queens
    13 7
    4 Toray Arrows 37 13 7
    5 Okayama Seagulls 30 10 10

OVERALL

# Team MP W L S Pts
    1. Hisamitsu Springs 20 18 2 57:19 52
    2. JT Marvelous
    14 6 52:31 44
    3. Toyota Body Queens
    20 13 7 43:28 39
    4. Toray Arrows
    20 13 7 46:33 37
    5. NEC Red Rockets
    20 11 9 43:36 35
    6. Saitama Ageo Medics
    11 9
    40:37 32
    7. Okayama Seagulls
    20 10 10 41:38 30
    8. Denso Airybees
    10 35:36 29
    9. Hitachi Rivale
    20 8 12 36:49 21
    10. Kurobe Aqua Fairies
    20 2 18 13:55 7
    11. PFU Blue Cats
    20 0 20 16:60 4
  • 2018-2019 Final Stage

• Final 8 2019 March 2 (Sat) - 2019 March 24 (Sun)
    • Final 3, 2019 March 30 (Sat) - 2019 March 31 (Sun)
    • Final Final Matches, 2019 April 6 (Sat) - 2019 April 14 (Sun)

FINAL 8

Gift Points going in:
    Hisamitsu Springs 6 NEC Red Rockets
    JT Marvelous 4 Saitama Ageo
    Toyota Body Queens 2 Denso Airybees
    Toray Arrows
    0 Hitachi Rivale

Sat 02 MAR 2019

11:00 Hisamitsu Springs v Denso Airybees

13:30 Toyota Body Queens v Hitachi Rivale

16:00 NEC Red Rockets v Toray Arrows

Sun 03 MAR 2019

11:00 Hisamitsu Springs v Toyota Body Queens

13:30 JT Marvelous v Saitama Ageo Medics

16:00 Denso Airybees v Hitachi Rivale

Sat 09 MAR 2019

11:00 NEC Red Rockets v Toyota Body Queens

12:00 Hisamitsu Springs v Toray Arrows

13:30 JT Marvelous v Denso Airybees

14:30 Saitama Ageo Medics v Hitachi Rivale

Sun 10 MAR 2019

12:00 Hisamitsu Springs v Hitachi Rivale

12:00 NEC Red Rockets v JT Marvelous

14:30 Denso Airybees v Toyota Body Queens

14:30 Saitama Ageo Medics v Toray Arrows

Sat 16 MAR 2019

11:00 NEC Red Rockets v Denso Airybees

12:00 Hisamitsu Springs v Saitama Ageo Medics

13:30 Hitachi Rivale v Toray Arrows

14:30 JT Marvelous v Toyota Body Queens

Sun 17 MAR 2019

11:00 NEC Red Rockets v Hitachi Rivale

12:00 Hisamitsu Springs v JT Marvelous

13:30 Denso Airybees v Toray Arrows

14:30 Saitama Ageo Medics v Toyota Body Queens

Sat 23 MAR 2019

11:00 NEC Red Rockets v Saitama Ageo Medics

13:30 Toyota Body Queens v Toray Arrows

16:00 JT Marvelous v Hitachi Rivale

Sun 24 MAR 2019

11:00 NEC Red Rockets v Hisamitsu Springs

13:30 JT Marvelous v Toray Arrows

16:00 Saitama Ageo Medics v Denso Airybees

----------

FINAL 3

Sat 30 MAR 2019

15:08

Sun 31 MAR 2019

15:08

----------

FINAL FINAL

Sat 06 APRIL 2019

13:10

Sat 13 APRIL 2019

14:10

• NEC Red Rockets for the East and Hisamitsu Springs for the West each get a cash prize of 1.5 million yen (~USD$13,500) for winning their conference. Haha JT, Toyota, and Toray

Award Player Team Score # of times

Top scorer

Jana Kulan

Toray Arrows

544 points

The first award

Spike Award

Foluke Akinradewo

Hisamitsu Springs

59.7%

The second consecutive year the third time

Block Award

Foluke Akinradewo

Hisamitsu Springs

The first award

Serve Award

Jana Kulan

Toray Arrows

14.2%

The first award

Serve Receive Award

Risa Shinnabe

Hisamitsu Springs

70.0%

The second consecutive year fifth time

Again, Congrats to Risa but it would have been nice for Yurika Baba to get that award. She was solidly in the 70+% all season and just tanked the last week or two. Kurobe could have gotten something before heading back to V2.

• Foluke has only played three years in Japan. The first time she played there was in the shortened 2010-2011 (due to the 2011 Tohoku earthquake).

In 2011, she had a kill percentage of 50.7% on 900 swings (456 kills). In those days they played each team 3 times, not twice like this season.

• 900 swings for Foluke? Wow. That would translate to 3,000 or more for a Brankica

• I think we are going to say goodbye to Kurobe even though they beat PFU both times during the Regular Round. PFU is playing better now than they were back then and Kurobe is playing not-better.

I had a brief little fling with Kurobe Love, and I still like them, but I don't see any path to improvement for them, unless Brankica or someone like that plays for them next year. But that would be gross. Freya was perfect for them.

I'm not sure about PFU. I could never get a handle on why they couldn't win a game. But since they never won a game I didn't watch them very closely

• Just remember it is single round robin. So if Kurobe or Okayama get a win they are at 4 points (3 points at worst). PFU has to win twice to stay up potentially.

Also if tied on points, the better ranked teams get the tiebreaker.

PFU with a win, has to be in <5 sets to put pressure on Okayama-Kurobe duo

• That sounds encouraging (for this Kurobe fan). Okayama will beat them both so it comes down to the Kurobe v PFU match, right?

But the loser doesn't have to go home. They can still survive by beating the V2 Challenger. Likely Gifu or Gumma

• That sounds encouraging (for this Kurobe fan). Okayama will beat them both so it comes down to the Kurobe v PFU match, right?

But the loser doesn't have to go home. They can still survive by beating the V2 Challenger. Likely Gifu or Gumma

That would be right on both.

• News Update:

Two more announcements of new player recruitments:

• Kurobe Aqua Fairies - Yuri Umezu [OH] (Higashi Kyushu Ryukoku H.S.). Sources: 1, 2 (2019.02.12)
    • Hisamitsu Springs - Shion Hirayama [MB] (Higashi Kyushu Ryukoku H.S.). Sources: 1, 2 (2019.02.21)

Btw Higashi Kyushu Ryukoku H.S. produces players like Miyu Nagaoka, Nana Iwasaka, and Sayaka Tsutsui.

• News Update:

Two more announcements of new player recruitments:

• Kurobe Aqua Fairies - Yuri Umezu [OH] (Higashi Kyushu Ryukoku H.S.). Sources: 1, 2 (2019.02.12)
    • Hisamitsu Springs - Shion Hirayama [MB] (Higashi Kyushu Ryukoku H.S.). Sources: 1, 2 (2019.02.21)

Btw Higashi Kyushu Ryukoku H.S. produces players like Miyu Nagaoka, Nana Iwasaka, and Sayaka Tsutsui.

Yes, Higashi Kyushu Ryukoku H.S having too much influence to Japanese female volleyball and produces many V-league players.

We can easily create one team.

Setter:

Yuki Kawai (Himeji/ 2008 Olympian), Erika Sakae, Higane Sisters (Toyota AB & Hisamitsu)

OH/OP:

Miyu Nagaoka, Hikari Kato, Miyu Nakagawa (all Hisamitsu), Yurie Nabeya (Denso), Miharu Yoshioka, Minami Nishimura (all Okayama)

Middle Blocker:

Nana Iwasaka (Hisamitsu), Aika Akutagawa ( JT)

Libero:

Mana Toe, Sayaka Tsutsui, Yuka Taura (all Hisamitsu) , Kyoko Katashita (Himeji)

• A lot of these kids end up with Hisamitsu. Does Hisamitsu just have better scouts while other teams aren't looking or is there some arrangement between them and the High School.

• A lot of these kids end up with Hisamitsu. Does Hisamitsu just have better scouts while other teams aren't looking or is there some arrangement between them and the High School.

I guess it's nothing different then most talented Turkish youngsters coming from VakifBank. Probably a combination of a lot of things, like having the proper resources, best trainings, best investments (money) and yea aside from that most youngsters I can imagine would rather bet their carreers on Hisamitsu then let's say Kurobe f.e. it does give you that high push to make it bigger and possibly making it into the NT.

Honestly feel like the girls pick it out themselves.

Hisamitsu is based in Saga on the island of Kyushu. It isn’t hard to drive around the entire island to watch good teams near you.

• We need to take a serious look at the Western/Eastern Conference thing. :rolll: All those high school kids went to Western Conference teams with the exception of Nabeya who went to Denso. And Denso is right next to Toyota, a judgement call. Himeji is in between Okayama and Hisamitsu.

I don't know how player's scouting works in Japan, but for last 10 years, it's one of the 'trend' that best player(s) of the year from Higashi Kyushu Ryukoku joins Hisamitsu.

- Here is ; Iwasaka (2009), Nagaoka (2010), Shiori Murata (2011), Tsutsui (2011), Toe (2013), Kato (2016), Taura (2017), Nakagawa (2018) and Hirayama (2019)

Exceptions are Akutagawa (2010) and Nabeya (2012).

Nabeya actually had the offer from Hisamitsu as a setter (and her high school coach also recommend this), but she hoped playing as a wing spiker and earn more playing time, then joined Denso. Wise choice.

Another trend is the best player of the year from Shimokitazawa Seitoku High School joins Toray Arrows.

- Here is ; Araki (2003), Kana Oyama (2003), Miki Oyama (2004), Saori Kimura (2005), Miya Sato (2005), Yukina Hayashi (2014), Kurogo (2017) and Ishikawa (2019)

• for last 10 years, it's one of the 'trend' that best player(s) of the year from Higashi Kyushu Ryukoku joins Hisamitsu.

Very interesting. Looks more like an arrangement than a trend. lol

rather bet their carreers on Hisamitsu then let's say Kurobe

Also interesting. I often wonder about that choice. Go to a winning team that may offer better training resources but less court time, or go to a team where you might be the star player, where court time is the best development choice ... along the lines of a big splash at 19 or a seasoned ripple at 23