Schedule:

http://www.volleyball-bundesli…lan/1blm_hauptrunde.xhtml

Streaming:

https://www.sporttotal.tv/volleyball

Live Ticker:

https://www.vbl-ticker.de/1blm

Individual/Team stats:

https://www.volleyball-bundesl…m_spielerranking_rs.xhtml

• Before it ends up under "Other European Leagues", i decided, for the sake of tradition, to open a new thread for the new season. The party will start tomorrow.

From a consumers perspective, we will have a major change, as the streaming service changed from sportdeutschland to sporttotal.tv. Lets see how this will work out.

Compared to other seasons i am rather unprepared this year. So for the moment you won't read very elaborated stuff from me. Some thoughts which came to my mind anyway:

• Berlin, in every perspective, looks very strong this year. They are surely "the team to beat".
    • Not so sure about Friedrichshafen. I like Janouch as a setter but he has big shoes to fill. All other guys played very well last year and i am not sure, whether this is repeatable. Also Heynen might have difficulties to return from the big stage to daily bundesliga business. I wouldn't be surprised, if their road will be a bit more rocky this year.
    • I hope Lüneburg will do better than last year. Guys and coaching stuff are very ambitious and apart from the new setter (Schriemer, CAN), they will work with almost the same team, which could be an advantage, especially early in the season.
    • Herrsching is going to have a difficult year, after they lost all their key players, apart from Tille.
    • VCO Berlin probably won't be a punching bag this year. With Linus Weber and Anton Brehme two very highly rated talents will play there.
  • Do you have a link for the game statistics / box scores ?

• Do you have a link for the game statistics / box scores ?

Here you are: stats

You have to navigate between rounds in the tabs on top or just select "Alle Spiele" if you want to see the full list.

Yes. :thumbup:

Additionally you can also check overall season's individual and team stats here. But so far, there are only last seasons stats available. Hope they will keep on with that service......

I edited the entry post accordingly.

P.S.

Lüneburg started the season with their first ever victory over United Volleys. Now thats what i call a good start.:super:

• Berlin losing at home to Düren is the first surprise of the season. Berlin surely had to pay tribute to their short preparation time and to the injuries of Patch and Reichert but still a lot of credit to Düren. They have assembled a pretty decent and experienced squad which may be able to make a good run in this season. Very cool to see Sebastian Gevert back in the league....

stats: http://live.volleyball-bundesliga.de/2018-19/Men/1011.pdf

• Tonight the first league encounter between Friedrichshafen and Berlin is taking place (18.30 CET).

stream: https://tv.sport1.de/sport1/ (german IP needed)

After defeats against Düren and Friedrichshafen (supercup), Berlin may already feel slight pressure. Patch should be back on court for them, while Reichert is still questionable. No injuries are reported for Friedrichshafen.

• Berlin have been capable of stepping up when it matters the most against Friedrichshafen over the past years. It wasn't that crucial tonight, still early in the season, yet Berlin already unveiled what the eventual title race might look like. This Friedrichshafen's style is well-known, they reached the best of it last year and still lost to Berlin in the final play-offs. The only really new thing at Friedrichshafen is the setters' pair which easily explains the better start into the campaign. Berlin will need more time to adjust to the new players, you all mentioned it, quite normally started the season a bit slower, not for the first time, but as of November, they look again as eventual champions.

It was a weird match that, in my opinion, would've finished earlier had the Berlin side spent more time together or had it been scheduled later into the campaign. We've discussed Friedrichshafen last year, everything is still valid now as well. They need contribution from everywhere in attack due to their short offensive players. Protopsaltis had a great match, but I would argue that Sossenheimer didn't even get the rhythm of it. Janouch is a decent setter but I am curious to see if he has the class to be a starter at a club like Friedrichshafen. He is not that fast, one of his greatest weaknesses, and added to the reception problems and Adam Smith's serve series, we saw Heynen's side struggle at Rotation 1. Also, I like Boladz but he has kind of a spiral swing that spins the ball in a way that prevents him from playing down the line. Boladz is a player who serves great and can be devastating when hitting diagonal but his line attacks cost his teams (or at least what I've seen mostly in Germany) a lot of points.

Berlin, on the other side, played very organized volleyball for a team that is practically brand new. And they should get better with time. I will confess this was the first longer period in which I watched Kyle Russell. I will need more time to make some impression about his game, he was fine tonight. He is very athletic, though, and I think he should be able to reach higher given that athleticism. But I may get the chance to watch Russell more as Patch again had to be taken out. Now that I think of, Patch played only a couple of matches from the beginning to the end (those that I watched at least) and they were with the NT during the summer when Anderson was on holiday. The guy seems to be having difficulties with the professional volleyball life.

• Berlin, on the other side, played very organized volleyball for a team that is practically brand new. And they should get better with time. I will confess this was the first longer period in which I watch Kyle Russell. I will need more time to make some impression about his game, he was fine tonight. He is very athletic, though, and I think he should be able to reach higher given that athleticism. But I may get the chance to watch Russell more as Patch again had to taken out. Now that I think of, Patch played only a couple of matches from the beginning to the end (thos that I watched at least) and they were with the NT during the summer when Anderson was on holiday. The guy seems to be having difficulties with the professional volleyball life.

I think it has more to do with injuries. Speraw mentioned that Patch was injured twice this summer so they couldn't really train him. For the 2017 nt season, he was also coming off injury from the NCAA season.

• i could only watch the first two sets, which were a bit wild and not of very high level. So thanks to Yavor for your observations...

I will confess this was the first longer period in which I watch Kyle Russell. I will need more time to make some impression about his game, he was fine tonight. He is very athletic, though, and I think he should be able to reach higher given that athleticism. But I may get the chance to watch Russell more as Patch again had to taken out.

Russell can be spectacular when he is on a run. Imo he lacks of technique and ball control, which makes him a bit of a black and white player on which, at least last year, Berlin couldn't always rely to 100%. As far as i can judge, Patch in this regard is a bit similar to him, so we will see how this will turn out for Berlin. In their place i would have made a bit for Jochen Schöps :teach:

yestrdays stats: http://live.volleyball-bundesliga.de/2018-19/Men/1021.pdf

• Berlin with 14 and 11 errors in set 2 and 3 made the difference. The other three sets pretty clean for Berlin.

Yeah, I saw the stats afterwards, that explains a lot, too. You are right, it would've been 3 points for Berlin otherwise.

• United Volleys Frankfurt are winning 3:0 in Berlin:white::super:

They had a pretty decent week, while Berlin is grounded again and obviously still is work in progress. Credit to Moritz Karlitzek, who was bombarded big time from the service line but stood his ground and still was effictive on attack. If he can hold his form he will surely receive decent offers from other leagues for next season.

stats: http://live.volleyball-bundesliga.de/2018-19/Men/1029.pdf

• No surprises in the german cup semis 8)

Friedrichshafen vs Düren 3:1 (25:20, 22:25, 25:19, 25:22)

stats: http://live.volleyball-bundesliga.de/2018-19/Men/7113.pdf

Lüneburg vs. Berlin 3:2 (18:25, 22:25, 26:24, 25:19, 15:13) :super::dance4:

:drink:

stats: http://live.volleyball-bundesliga.de/2018-19/Men/7112.pdf

Meanwhile, the 6th defeat in 7 matches for Berlin in Lüneburg/Hamburg. It was a great and emotional match which could have easily ended in 3 sets for Berlin. But Lüneburg resisted and waited for their chance which came late in the third. Tragic hero for Berlin was newly recruited libero Nicolas Rossard who overall had a decent match, but tragically shanked the last two receptions in the fifth set to end the match.

Final will be played on 24th february in Mannheim.

• After the first two sets i never think that Lüneburg can comeback in the Match. But Berlin open the door för Lüneburg and then .. Great Atmosphäre in our CU Arena. I wish that by our Girls :-)

• With todays victory over Friedrichshafen , Alpenvolleys Unterhaching/Innsbruck is now 8/8 in the league and they impressively confirmed their top spot in the ranking. After years of complete dominance of Berlin/Friedrichshafen the league finally looks more competitive and i really like it.

Berlin and Friedrichshafen might have lost some strength but in the same way, teams like Alpenvolleys, Lüneburg, Frankfurt and Düren did a good job over the summer.

• Who is this Douglas Duarte from Innsbruck? I've never heard about him before.

Also it's surreal to see a team led by Danilo Gelinski leading the German league. He's never been really any good here in Brazil before. Good for him I guess.

• Who is this Douglas Duarte from Innsbruck? I've never heard about him before.

According to Wikipedia, he left Brazil a while ago and, by volleyball standards, is already a long time now with the austrians. Don't think is too impressive as a player but being team captain probably shows that he is an established and important figure for the team off the court too.

Also it's surreal to see a team led by Danilo Gelinski leading the German league. He's never been really any good here in Brazil before. Good for him I guess.

He is truly getting a lot of praise at the moment by coach and media. Tbh i haven't seen them playing too often in last two years to make a proper judgement. Maybe he is a kind of late bloomer. Happens at times in volleyball, especially with setters......