FIVB World Cup 2019 - Sept. 14 to 29, Japan

• FIVB World Cup to return to Japan in 2019 ahead of Tokyo 2020 Olympics

October 20, 2018, according to FIVB official announcement by President Dr. Ary S. Graça, the next edition of World Cup will be held from September 14 - 29, 2019 in Japan.

There will be total 12 Participants in a round-robin system tournament

Team 1. Japan (as organiser)

Team 2. Serbia (recent World Champion)

Team 3-12. the best teams from AVC, NORCECA, CSV, CEV and CAVB (subject on the recommendation method of different confederations)

Remarks: No Tokyo Olympic vacancies are allocated by this tournament but FIVB WR points will be rewarded.

The general schedule and cities are decided by JVA

Site A: Yokohama, Sapporo

Site B: Hamamatsu, Toyama

Round A+B: Osaka

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• So the Olympics qualification was created in order to allow Japan to participate the World Cup? Not fair to past Olympic hosts that couldn't participate the World Cup.

• Wondering which two teams are the two best teams from CEV

I guess it depends on three possible ways:

a) the Winner and Runner-up of CEV Championship 2019;

b) the best two teams according to FIVB WR after NVL 2019;

c) the best two teams according CEV Ranking annually.

some rumor disclose Russia and Netherlands will participate the WC but i do not see any official annoucement of it.

to be me...

• Netherlands and Russia

Wrong Netherlands and Turkey. Fıvb accepted January 1, 2015 Cev ranking last editon http://worldcup.2015.women.fiv…competition/qualification

so Fıvb will agreed 1 January 2019 ranking.

Cev projected ranking 1 January 2019

SRB 292

NED 290

TUR 282

RUS 276

ITA 272

• Of course I would be happy to see young Turkish team to compete there to gain more international experience but it would be more fair to see Italy there with Netherlands

• I'm sure Terzić will be thrilled to have to play this tournament :lol:

But seriously, I don't understand how the calendar is going to work next year. This thing apparently ends in late September. So, when is the ECh going to be played? It HAS to finish by the end of October because the club season needs to start at that time, so what gives? The European teams participating at WC will go straight from Japan (having played 11 matches in two weeks) to Europe to play again. I think it will be impossible for them to play both tournaments with their A teams.

And when you throw the VNL and the Olympic qualifier in the mix... It's gonna be fun. Oh, FIVB, you never fail to disappoint.

• I'm sure Terzić will be thrilled to have to play this tournament :lol:

But seriously, I don't understand how the calendar is going to work next year. This thing apparently ends in late September. So, when is the ECh going to be played? It HAS to finish by the end of October because the club season needs to start at that time, so what gives? The European teams participating at WC will go straight from Japan (having played 11 matches in two weeks) to Europe to play again. I think it will be impossible for them to play both tournaments with their A teams.

And when you throw the VNL and the Olympic qualifier in the mix... It's gonna be fun. Oh, FIVB, you never fail to disappoint.

Oh I forget about ECh! I can imagine in this case they might be held in early August but then it will overlap with VNL :mad:When is the 2019 Asian Championship?

• Just LOL :rolll:. I thought the whole point of the new Olympic qualifying tournament was because the WC was now redundant. If they are keeping the WC anyway, why don't they just keep the same OG qualifying rules from last time? Just make it the top 2 (or 3) teams other than Japan qualify. Let's be honest, Japan are unlikely to finish on the podium anyway.

Watch them revert back to the old rules by 2023.

• VNL will start on May 21st and the preliminary will finish on June 20th. Then the final round will be probably between July 3-7.

Thanks for the information, then I think it is more likely to have ECh in early August so that there will be time for European teams to prepare for WC. On the other hand, they might just send a young team to WC instead as well

• Just LOL :rolll:. I thought the whole point of the new Olympic qualifying tournament was because the WC was now redundant. If they are keeping the WC anyway, why don't they just keep the same OG qualifying rules from last time? Just make it the top 2 (or 3) teams other than Japan qualify. Let's be honest, Japan are unlikely to finish on the podium anyway.

Watch them revert back to the old rules by 2023.

What Przedpelski said is that there were already agreements in place between JVA and FIVB about World Cup so the tournament must be played no matter what. However, they decide for it not to be OG qualification because Japan must participate and then they don't want to hear that afterall Japan wanted to purposely loose to some team in order to help them qualify to OG and fight harder with teams that they lets say do not like :)

• Yes, the ECh can be held in August (wasn't it also like that in 2003?), but then the question is when the Olympic qualifier will be played. Those will be small tournaments that won't take up much time, but given their immense importance, the teams should be given some time to prepare for it.

Ideally, the Olympic qualifying tournaments should be held in August. That way teams could have the opportunity to prepare through VNL and some time to rest and recover. But with the WC being held until late September, there's really not much time left for ECh, so...

I'm starting to think it will look like this and I don't like it one bit:

Early May - Olympic Qualifer

Late May to early July - VNL

August - ECh

September - WC

That would be horrible as it would mean the teams would have to start their seasons with most important tournament and end it with the least important one.

• The OG qualification tournaments will be held in August (via Przedpelski which is in FIVB board). It is only one weekend so they will squeeze it somewhere ;)

• OK, that makes sense. Still, I think having both the Olympic qualifier and the ECh within the same month is a bit too much, especially as some teams will certainly play their QTs in remote places like Asia, after all the travelling they will have done during the VNL.

And then having to play WC on top of that is just an overkill.

• This international sport is too complicated and full of palace intrigue for me :wall: Can't wait to turn off the noise and enjoy club volleyball :white:

• I was more than sure that the World Cup wouldnt be canceled and we would keep watching vabochan. It is such an historic tournment and cancelling would have been such headache in order to set the ranking points.

Ok, don cancel it...but why it should be still hosted by Japan? Oh maybe because Japan = TV rights = FIVB <3. I understand the point that WC cant be an olympic qualifier because there is Japan and as it was well pointed out, playing against a team which is already qualified can always be risky for fair play.

I respect so much japanese team and players, but it is more than obvious that all the changes in the olympic qualification are because of Japan is the host.

Teams which dont have enough competitive bench will suffer the double in this 2019. You must need a big depth on the bench, also a good B team, in order to not be squeezed as a lemon.

• Here's another thing - the next year's ECh will be expanded, featuring 24 teams, which means the format will be different. Compared to the previous edition, the teams reaching the medal matches stage will have played 9 matches in total instead of 6 (or 7). Also, with the tournament being hosted by four countries, you need to have days off to accommodate the travelling, which means the tournament will need to take up two weeks at the very least. Men's basketball ECh '17 was played with the same format and the competition was played out over 18 days.

How they're going to squeeze all that in the already overcrowded calendar is beyond me.

• Oh I forget about ECh! I can imagine in this case they might be held in early August but then it will overlap with VNL :mad:When is the 2019 Asian Championship?

AVC championship will be held in Thailand but the schedule has not confirmed yet.

According to Ze Roberto's interview, next year will be very important to Brazil and he will devide the team into two to complete the piles of games, including NVL, Tokyo International Qualification, South American Championship, Pan Games (Lima, Peru), World Cup (Japan) and so on..

to be me...