FIVB World Cup 2019 - Sept. 14 to 29, Japan

• CEV ranking is used to choose a participat at WC for 2nd time in a row. For CEV, European Champs are more important than other world events, so it looks a bit different than world ranking.

https://www.cev.eu/Rankings/Women.aspx

Btw. As Serbia is world champ and has already guaranteed place at WC, Italy should be qualified as 2nd best European team.

Edit: ok, I see, there is tie between rus and ita. Interesting...

• I am sorry but can anyone explain why Russia can go but Italy can’t?

I have been meaning to write this, maybe it was shared and discussed back in the time but I will share anyway. I listened to a podcast where Karch Kiraly was the guest, he said Olympic Qualification was changed most probably only for this Olympic Cycle and the reason World Cup is not considered a qualification tournament is Japan hosting the World Cup and Olympics. According to Karch, there is a rule that says a team that has been already qualified to Olympics cannot attend a qualification tournament. When I heard this, I was shocked. I mean, FIVB loves Japan and their money so very much, that they can change the rules in order to have the tournament in Japan anyway. Is Japan the one and only country that can host a FIVB tournament? He said most probably it will go back to old style, teams will be able to qualify in World Cup after 2020.

I know Brazil didn’t participate in World Cup in 2015 but I thought they didn’t want to play a meaningless tournament since they are already qualified to Olympics as host in 2016. I didn’t know this is a rule. I am suprised to myself for being suprised to FIVB and Japan relations.

Technically Japan should not host this tournament as Japan normally is the host for this event. However, with Japan hosting (as a preview to the viewing public in Japan), I would consider it similar to the FIFA Confederations Cup. A trial run (even though not using the venue in 2020).

Brazil has complained in the past that Japan always hosts, well put some money up and host the tournament then.

Japan puts up a ton of money to host big events. China could do it as well, but has not. The reason why Japan gets them more frequently is that Fuji TV and Tokyo Broadcasting System get good TV ratings for the length of the tournament. Those TV networks are on the FIVB Communication Commission.

• Because they get a lot of world ranking points!

That's true, but the tournament starts immediately after the ECh and if SRB, ITA and RUS reach the last stage, which at least some of them probably will, they'll have to be going straight from Turkey to Japan, if they wan't to participate with their A teams. And that's on top of playing the Olympic qualifier and the VNL earlier and the summer AND the club season that ends literally as soon as the NT season begins and then starts again just when the NT time is over.

It's impossible to play all those competitions with your best squads and I guess some compromises will have to be made.

• It's official now:

Host: Japan

World Champion: Serbia

Asia: China & Korea

Africa: Cameroon & Kenya

Europe: Russia and the Netherlands

North and Central America and Caribbean: USA & Dominican Republic

South America: Brazil & Argentina

So, Russia did make it instead of Italy. I don't know what the criteria were, but the Italians shouldn't be to sad anyway. It's madness to even have this tournament after everything that will be played this summer.

• Oh, yes, I now see it was mentioned in that article on the FIVB's website I found this info in the first place. :lol: I don't know why they changed it this time. Maybe it was to avoid making the decision in the European tie-break. But who knows with the FIVB anyway.

• More info about World Cup: Each team can register 25 players 6 weeks before the competition start. 14 players teams have to be determined 24 hours before start of the match. It means that you can travel to Japan with all 25 players and then change them everytime you need. This rule was introduced due to very short time between other tournaments and the start of World Cup. Prizes: winners 600k + 30k to fedaration, runner-ups 300k + 15k to federation, and 3rd place 100k + 10k to federation.

World Cup will return as OG qualification tournament in 2023 and two best teams will earn a spot in Paris 2024.

• More info about World Cup: Each team can register 25 players 6 weeks before the competition start. 14 players teams have to be determined 24 hours before start of the match. It means that you can travel to Japan with all 25 players and then change them everytime you need.

No team is traveling with 25 players to Japan. Costs for the federation are too damn high

The reasoning for the 25 player rule is to prevent last minute changes by teams. Additionally teams are limited with how many coaches on the bench and traveling party (PR, translators, etc.)

This is already used in past tournaments. Coaches still have to narrow down to 14 before the tournament.

Look if you've got essentially 4 teams of 6 (liberos could be in there as well), you have enough players to practice in your home gym.

• No team is traveling with 25 players to Japan. Costs for the federation are too damn high

The reasoning for the 25 player rule is to prevent last minute changes by teams. Additionally teams are limited with how many coaches on the bench and traveling party (PR, translators, etc.)

This is already used in past tournaments. Coaches still have to narrow down to 14 before the tournament.

Look if you've got essentially 4 teams of 6 (liberos could be in there as well), you have enough players to practice in your home gym.

I know that no one will go to Japan with 25 players. However I can imagine that they can change few players later on. Before it was impossible to do in World Cup. You had to choose 14 players before first match and couldn't make any changes until the end.

• Right but teams from Africa for example will take 14 or 12 players to the Japan. Once again the richest federations will be rewarded.

• I don't know does anybody mentioned it before, but World Cup 2023 will not be hosted in Japan.

Japan is no longer interested to organize WC (hard to believe :) ) and probably number of teams participating will be reduced,

• I don't know does anybody mentioned it before, but World Cup 2023 will not be hosted in Japan.

Japan is no longer interested to organize WC (hard to believe :) ) and probably number of teams participating will be reduced,

Any source? Or is it just a rumour?

Gold Medal - Prediction Game - Men's - Olympic Games 2012
    Gold Medal - Prediction Game - Men's - European Championship 2015
    Silver Medal
    - Prediction Game - Women's - Olympic Games 2012

がんばれ 日本!

No country can afford to host World Cup like Japan. Japan hosts both men's and women's World Cup together.

If FIVB still wants men's and women's World Cup in one country, the size must to be cut. It's a huge financial burden to federation.