FIVB World Cup 2019 - Sept. 14 to 29, Japan

• Japan against Russia is always an uphill battle due to the height difference. I mean 24 point difference in a 5 set match. Realistically Russia should have won in 3 sets.

Koroleva with 6 blocks and 21 points was great for Russia. Goncha using her height advantage to get to 30 points.

As for Japan, the problem is always for me that they don’t use the middle enough. 24 of 161 attempts, 14.9%. With Russia’s block you’ve got to use the middles to keep them slightly honest. 17 blocks by Russia tell me they cheated to the outside and won the battle easily at the net.

• As for Japan, the problem is always for me that they don’t use the middle enough. 24 of 161 attempts, 14.9%. With Russia’s block you’ve got to use the middles to keep them slightly honest. 17 blocks by Russia tell me they cheated to the outside and won the battle easily at the net.

Yeah, This^

Araki went 5/5 or even 6/6 to start off and then kind of withered. Okumura never got her offense going. I might have tried Akutagawa.

• True!! I think Gonchas prime is better than Egonu and Boskovic.

I remember 2010-2015. Shes getting 30 plus points in just 3 sets.

What i like about her is not just the power but her technique. She hits the ball on a strange way.

The best Goncha was the one from 2015 world grand prix. I remember how she was tooling the opposing block with her tips. Something I don't get to see from her lately.

• i wonder what will happen to the mix when you put back kosheleva.

Fetisova is also a missing piece in russian defense.

And Yana Scherban! Where is she? What happened to her with the Russian NT?

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• And Yana Scherban! Where is she? What happened to her with the Russian NT?

I guess Pankov never liked Scherban. Now that Pankov is out from NT, and if she plays good this coming season maybe she will get a call back to NT next year..

• And Yana Scherban! Where is she? What happened to her with the Russian NT?

Pankov didn't invite her to the NT. Yana said in an interview she was ready to play for the NT few days ago. This roster wasn't selected by Busato. Hope next year she will be called. I'm waiting for Yana, Koshe and Khodunova for next year.

Edit: + Malova, she is the best libero in Russian Superliga.

• The best Goncha was the one from 2015 world grand prix. I remember how she was tooling the opposing block with her tips. Something I don't get to see from her lately.

Yes I remember this. I think 2015 and even 2016 Goncha was at the highest of her abilities she was the best Opp in the world during the time. Now she's kinda past her prime but she's still an offensive powerhouse just not so dominant like she used to

• Pankov didn't invite her to the NT. Yana said in an interview she was ready to play for the NT few days ago. This roster wasn't selected by Busato. Hope next year she will be called. I'm waiting for Yana, Koshe and Khodunova for next year.

Edit: + Malova, she is the best libero in Russian Superliga.

Plus Fetisova :-) I hope she'll recover for the next year's event.

my affectionate nick for her 'Pritisova' :rose: :whistle:

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Russia with Kosheleva (if she can perform better than the last 2 years), Voronkova, Goncharova trio will be a nightmare for blocking and defensive players. Startseva is the best setter they have. Can't believe Russia settle down with that tragic short chubby setter few years ago.

• Startseva clearly in better form in this competition than she was during Olypic qualifuers and ECH. Hopefully she can continue playing at this level

• Russia with Kosheleva (if she can perform better than the last 2 years), Voronkova, Goncharova trio will be a nightmare for blocking and defensive players. Startseva is the best setter they have. Can't believe Russia settle down with that tragic short chubby setter few years ago.

Blame that choice of chubby short setter --very uncharacteristic to this Slavic team-- to their earlier emotionless head coach(es)... dunno why they all did not notice the sleek, beautiful, tall, agile and skillful :-) Startseva <3 :whistle: lol

The passing will be disastrous with this trio lol There is really no reason for Voronkova and Kosheleva to be on the court at the same time as they are similar kind of players IMO. Russia needs a defensive OH similar to Busa for their system to work

The passing will be disastrous with this trio lol There is really no reason for Voronkova and Kosheleva to be on the court at the same time as they are similar kind of players IMO. Russia needs a defensive OH similar to Busa for their system to work

• Startseva clearly in better form in this competition than she was during Olypic qualifuers and ECH. Hopefully she can continue playing at this level

Finally I am excited to see what Russia can do with this new improved team with Startseva as starter.

Blame that choice of chubby short setter --very uncharacteristic to this Slavic team-- to their earlier emotionless head coach(es)... dunno why they all did not notice the sleek, beautiful, tall, agile and skillful :-) Startseva <3 :whistle: lol

I thought there was some nepotism going on like her father or mother is someone important to the Russian team. Is it true?

Of course. I was talking about the attacking power. With Malova back to the NT, she can cover them. Either Voronkova or Kosheleva needs to step up their receiving game so they can do the 2-women receiving system like they always do. But with Scherban back to the NT, maybe you are right. Either one of Koshe or Voronkova needs to sit it out.

• They haven’t looked great this summer, it’s true but in 2019 there’s no doubt in my mind that Voronkova and Parubets are better players than Kosheleva and Shcherban.