FIVB World Cup 2019 - Sept. 14 to 29, Japan

• A fantastic match between the South Koreans and the host team, tension built was incredible!

Once more time the KOR NT A again shows they are stronger than the host team after beating JPN NT A as well in the bronze medal match of the 2018 ASIAN GAMES (biggest multi-sport event in Asia) and in the 2019 VNL.

Were you looking the other way when the Japan U20 squad opened a can of whoop ass on the Korean NT at the Asian Championships? :)

Korea is ramping up for some good times lead by the Lee sisters (and the new coach). They're pretty solid across the board, Kim Heejin hate notwithstanding. And they're going to get better as Yang Hyo-Jin gets back to form.

I'm excited about this and can't wait for LeBron James to retire

• Korea is ramping up for some good times lead by the Lee sisters (and the new coach). They're pretty solid across the board, Kim Heejin hate notwithstanding. And they're going to get better as Yang Hyo-Jin gets back to form.

South Korea did really improve under Lavarini. Sad to see that Thailand may not make it to Tokyo.

• Were you looking the other way when the Japan U20 squad opened a can of whoop ass on the Korean NT at the Asian Championships? :)

Korea is ramping up for some good times lead by the Lee sisters (and the new coach). They're pretty solid across the board, Kim Heejin hate notwithstanding. And they're going to get better as Yang Hyo-Jin gets back to form.

I'm excited about this and can't wait for LeBron James to retire

Yeah, I missed that event, but that edition wasn't taken as quite an important event for the top teams, so I don't consider that one as an "NT A event" to accurately measure the real strength of the competing teams!! And VNL too. But in the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta, the top Asian teams all sent their "best available" line-ups to that quadrennial event.

As for the KOR team at the Asian Championships, was the team as complete as the current one in the World Cup?

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

Edited once, last by samsara ().

• South Korea did really improve under Lavarini. Sad to see that Thailand may not make it to Tokyo.

It's so sad that at this point (unless I've missed something) only one or the other can make it. :( If only Korea had hung on and beat Russia ;( the world would be all puppies and rainbows

• Maybe that was the real drama between KYK and Nootsara. They both needed some time off to focus with their NT putting their feelings on the side. The reality of it is only one can go.

• It's so sad that at this point (unless I've missed something) only one or the other can make it. :( If only Korea had hung on and beat Russia ;( the world would be all puppies and rainbows

Then you only get one of Russia, Turkey, and Netherlands in Olympics.

• Then you only get one of Russia, Turkey, and Netherlands in Olympics.

Those are Euro teams. Who cares? :rolll: 

• Yeah, I missed that event, but that edition wasn't taken as quite an important event for the top teams, so I don't consider that one as an "NT A event" to accurately measure the real strength of the competing teams!! And VNL too. But in the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta, the top Asian teams all sent their "best available" line-ups to that quadrennial event.

As for the KOR team at the Asian Championships, was the team as complete as the current one in the World Cup?

It was "NT A Event" for Korea and they blew it, but they didn't have sister setter LEE, and they were up against the rapscallion Japanese U20 squad, so I give them a break.

Every team misses a player here or there and they do the bet they can. No need for world pronouncements. It's all good volleyball

• i have not watched many matches but it seems that KOR might be inconsistent, and it's normal in this WC. we saw JPN easily beat DOM, yet DOM beat KOR and now KOR beat JPN.

wait, KYK and nootsara were a couple??????

and who the heck is mila star?

• that interference call was very strange. i haven't seen any replays but from when i watched it, i don't remember zhu ting interfering with any play, besides it was a hopeless play anyway, they'd not have been able to recover the ball. i mean, is the referee saying that a player has to actively, speedily get out of the way of other players, i mean players don't even necessarily react that fast when defending their own court...

there was also a call today for a ball that was deemed to touch the floor in NED x BRA but later there was a challenge that showed the ball did not, and they called a do-over or play-again, yet the ball was not bounced high enough anyway, so it would have been a lost cause even if the call was wrong...

• i have not watched many matches but it seems that KOR might be inconsistent, and it's normal in this WC. we saw JPN easily beat DOM, yet DOM beat KOR and now KOR beat JPN.

But our job here is to adjust the world rankings, and the player rankings, after every match, after every set, after every play.

• ossubtus i wish you’d have been around for the DOM v CMR match. Would have enjoyed your input

• find me a video and i'll provide play-by-play commentary... :-)

i checked livestream365 before i went to bed but it wasn't on... the problem with that website is that you never know when it'll show up, often quite late, like in the 2nd set or so... oh well, it's ok because i got to watch the later matches...

• and as someone pointed out before, another difference between men's and women's game, zhu ting went over to argue with the referee about that call and she did it without losing her cool, politely. whereas in the men's games, it's all that screaming, tantrums and acting out like murder, that's one of the reasons so many of us don't follow men's game as much, they are a bunch of whiny, self-entitled, bratty crybabies...

• Yeah don't they have the ECh or something important anyways?

I fear we've gone to a very dark place here. I hope our Euro friends have a sense of humor :*

• Yes, ECh is an important competition for European teams and fans. Why is that so difficult to understand?

That side of the coin is not hard to understand at all, JoanaBG . Come on. It's the other side of the coin that seems inscrutable to some.

• Those are Euro teams. Who cares? :rolll: 

With all the respect to both Korea and Thailand, the absence of either NED or TUR (even POL) will be more drastic than missing one of KOR and THA:whistle: On the other hand RUS wouldn't be there if they were any other qualification pools. KOR had their chance there but couldn't grab the slot that's why I will be cheering for THA this time:super: