FIVB World Cup 2019 - Sept. 14 to 29, Japan

• Yeah she hit the last ball crosscourt at a sharp angle. It's impossible for the ball to pass back outside the antenna (without hitting the bench or the stands)

shame on ref

It has nothing to do IMPOSIBBLE to pass back or not of the next move.

That ball travelled right inside attennas, miles away from traveling outside, so Russia player has no right to play that ball!!!

I agree that the ref is pretty bad. Zhu might not be able to express herself fully in English, but the ref should think twice when Zhu explained it to her.

Because that ball is not even clost to antenna at all, as the picture I showed in

<a href="http://inside.volleycountry.com/thread/6993-fivb-world-cup-2019-sept-14-to-29-japan/?postID=419466#post419466">FIVB World Cup 2019 - Sept. 14 to 29, Japan</a>

• SLOETJES HOPES NETHERLANDS GET VIBE BACK IN WORLD CUP FOR OLYMPIC QUALIFIERS

Hamamatsu, Japan, September 16, 2019 – Superstar opposite Lonneke Sloetjes is currently competing with her national team – the Netherlands – in the 2019 FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Cup and she is hoping that the tournament will help them prepare for the Continental Olympic Qualification Tournament in January 2020.

“This tournament is one big training for Olympic qualification,” Sloetjes said. “It’s really important that we get a lot of experience and play tough games against good teams, so this tournament is really welcome.”

Prior to the World Cup, Sloetjes and her squad competed in the Tokyo Volleyball Qualification Tournament and European Championship. In the intercontinental qualification tournament, Sloetjes led her squad in scoring but the team lost the spot to Italy.

In the World Cup, Sloetjes is hoping for a good performance that will hit the restart button in preparation for their final chance to book a ticket to Tokyo 2020.

“We’re not in the best place right now after the last Olympic qualification and the last European Championship wasn’t really our tournament. For us it’s really a good way to restart and fight our way back,” shared Sloetjes.

The World Cup is also her last tournament before she travels to Italy for the club season. But preparation still continues for the Dutch player.

Lonneke Sloetjes celebrates in their match against Brazil in the 2019 FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup

It’s really hard because each one of us will go to a club and we need to keep continuing to prepare there although we are on our own there, we still need to think about what will happen in January,” Sloetjes explained.

“So it’s really important for everyone that in January, we can be the best we can and I think in this tournament we just have to get our vibe back and to enjoy – to get our mojo back. I’m really happy that we can participate here to get the training.”

The Netherlands are having a good run so far in Hamamatsu as they had a 3-0 winning start - all wins in straight sets.

Sloetjes helped out teammates Anne Buijs and Maret Balkestein-Grothues in scoring in their first two outings, claiming wins against Argentina 3-0 (25-16, 25-17, 25-19) and Kenya 3-0 (25-12, 25-19, 25-17).

Sloetjes’ game against Brazil was her most brilliant so far, as she notched 25 points in a solid performance from the attack line. The Dutch team stunned the South American team 3-0 (25-23, 25-21, 25-22) to be among the three teams that remain undefeated in the tournament.

The Netherlands will face the United States on September 18 at 14.00 local time, and then face European rivals Serbia the next day at 11.00.

Source

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• It has nothing to do IMPOSIBBLE to pass back or not of the next move.

That ball travelled right inside attennas, miles away from traveling outside, so Russia player has no right to play that ball!!!

I agree that the ref is pretty bad. Zhu might not be able to express herself fully in English, but the ref should think twice when Zhu explained it to her.

Because that ball is not even clost to antenna at all, as the picture I showed in

<a href="http://inside.volleycountry.com/thread/6993-fivb-world-cup-2019-sept-14-to-29-japan/?postID=419466#post419466">FIVB World Cup 2019 - Sept. 14 to 29, Japan</a>

What is she going to do during the match anyways? Draw a diagram?

• What is she going to do during the match anyways? Draw a diagram?

Nothing! What else could Zhu explain then? Her English is a badly broken one. But even if Zhu's English had been excellent, does any one here really think that the referee, Patricia Rolf, from the USA would have accepted her call be challenged? And under hard pressed of time?

I just wish that FIVB has some following-up mechanism to review some bad call by the referees... after the match... or, perhaps after the affected team filed a complaint review. It won't affect the outcome, but such action may call the attention of all referees to improve and avoid the same faulty call. Otherwise the referees may not be aware or take any lesson. But I wanna put it into proportion, Time on court runs very fast, everything has to be decided in few seconds, and ball runs so fast... thus error does occur. Rolf is a long time, quite familiar face on court, so I take it as a human's error.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Matches on WEDNESDAY, September 18 in Hamamatsu and Yokohama

• Serbia v Argentina at 11.00
    • Russia v South Korea at 12.30
    • USA v Netherlands at 14.00
    • China v Dominican Republic at 15.00
    • Kenya v Brazil at 18.00
    • Cameroon v Japan at 19.20

• South Korea has a chance to get back at Russia after their most recent truly unfortunate defeat!

Does anyone know where I can replay the Korea vs. Japan match? And no not on FloTV.. LOL

• South Korea has a chance to get back at Russia after their most recent truly unfortunate defeat!

Yes this will be a particularly tense match! The results from the Olympic qualifiers notwithstanding, that plus the Buzato slant eyes scandal and Russia bouncing back from their hard defeat against China. I think we can expect a good game tomorrow between KOR and RUS only difference KOR roster got stronger and RUS lost their best blocker in Fetisova.

Also, the following match NED vs USA will be important to determine the potential podium finishers.

• Yes this will be a particularly tense match! The results from the Olympic qualifiers notwithstanding, that plus the Buzato slant eyes scandal and Russia bouncing back from their hard defeat against China. I think we can expect a good game tomorrow between KOR and RUS only difference KOR roster got stronger and RUS lost their best blocker in Fetisova.

Also, the following match NED vs USA will be important to determine the potential podium finishers.

KORxRUS will be exciting match!! OQT+slant eyes

KOR will try their best to beat RUS because of these. Can't wait to see it!!😆😆

• Wow, I thought noone will care about this tournament at all after it was stripped from basically any value outside of FIVB World ranking points, but wow, even Kenya and Cameroon get at least 3,000 spectators per match!

People shouldn't underestimate the African teams. They have the physical build for power and they have tall players as well. Great to see all these countries receiving solid support and viewership.

• Am I going to get to see any Aleksandra Čirović action in this B Tournament?

• This is a post that I hope will take me to the next page so that when I refresh I don't have to see that stupid picture

• damn

• This Argentina coach needs to run around and pretend he's an airplane to get his team riled up

• Success!

• OMG. Not sure if it's ok to post this but I just found this photo of the Russian coach doing the "eye slant" after their win against South Korea at the most recent international. Wow, this is NOT cool.

ë¬ìì ì¬ì배구 ì½ì¹, íêµ­ì  ì¹ë¦¬ ë¤ 'ë 찢기' ì¸ë¦¬ë¨¸ë (ìì¸=ì°í©ë´ì¤) ë¬ìì ì¬ì배구 ëííì ì´í리ì ì¶ì  ì¸ë¥´ì§ì¤ ë¶ì¬í  ììì½ì¹ê° 5ì¼(íêµ­ìê°) ë¬ìì 칼리ëê·¸ë¼ëì ìí르ë경기ì¥ìì ì´ë¦° 2020ë ëì¿ì¬ë¦¼í½ ì¸ê³ìì  Eì¡° 3ì°¨ì ìì íêµ­ìê² ì¹ë¦¬ ë¤ ì íì ì¸ ì¸ì¢ì°¨ë³ íìì¸ 'ë 찢기' ì¸ë¦¬ë¨¸ë를 íê³  ìë¤. [ì¤í¬ë¥´í¸ 24 캡ì². ì¬í매 ë° DB ê¸ì§] photo@yna.co.kr

I think that many people around the world (inclunding me) didnt know it about how some people could feel bad because of this gesture.

I suggest that this action was kind of "hey people we are going to Tokyo 2020".

Good to know about how disrespectufull this can be claimed for some people.

• That's mean :(

• it was not my intention to be mean.

I just reported how this can be assumed by people from others cultures.

Once we know that this action its something wrong, that hurts some people. We can not do the same mistake.

Sorry for my bad english.

• Milenkovic's spikes are so beautiful... Or she goes for difficulty and magic, or she doesn't even try to spike because why bother... Really good technique :heart: