FIVB World Cup 2019 - Sept. 14 to 29, Japan

• USA vs. China tho

This is the game I will be waking up very early for.

Excited to see the battle of the middles (+Zhu)

• This is the game I will be waking up very early for.

Excited to see the battle of the middles (+Zhu)

USA beat China VNL Week 4 and iirc at some point China was playing their A except for the libero. Hope USA can continue their vibe rn. They're strongest when Poulter sets the open effortlessly to Krob

• Russia now climbed to the Number 3 spot! Theoretically RUS can lose to USA and win against NED and BRA and they should take Bronze (assuming they win all their other matches of course lol). Koroleva is one of the best middles so far in this tournament, and Goncharova she deserves that best Opp award :heart: Match with Serbia should be interesting

• USA beat China VNL Week 4 and iirc at some point China was playing their A except for the libero. Hope USA can continue their vibe rn. They're strongest when Poulter sets the open effortlessly to Krob

This time around, it could be anyone's game.

Zhang CN looks better than she did during the VNL.

• China is just a bad match up for Japan. China has over 100+ victories head to head over Japan historically. It's just something you have to overcome mentally.

that's why london was such a shock...

i was able to watch CHN demolish RUS, the way they played i don't think any team, not SRB, ITA or US, can beat them. if they can maintain this form, they'll be a favorite for tokyo.

• Oh gawd. USA tomorrow. That could be even worse :sos:

Nah. China is just another level. Plus USA would probably use their bench players since they'll be playing China less than 24 hours later.

Speaking of schedule how could China be so lucky and have the same game time throughout this tournament? As if being the most dominant team in the world is not enough advantage they got a "favorable" schedule. They can stick to a routine without worrying about altering them like the other teams in this tournament. That's a big fucking deal.

Either way everyone here is just playing for 2nd place. China is firing on all cylinders. With the way they're playing right now, I'm convinced not a single team in the world can win a set against them.

• "From the same spot where she was siting on the photo, less than a year ago, in the match against Puerto Rico, Milenkovic staggered, jumped and grabbed a knee with painful grimace on her face. It was immediately known that this was a serious injury, and for the next eight months she first recovered after surgery for anterior cruciate ligaments and then slowly returned to the field.

Life often makes sense of strange ways and situations, and for the first time since the events mentioned, our national team spent considerable time on the ground in the same hall where the unpleasant event happened to her. After a match with Holland she wished she had a photo to remember.

It never happened to anyone. How many times did this movie just go through my head. I know how I felt all the time as I slowly, and increasingly worked on my return to the field. There were a strange combination of circumstances, so everything could start again from where I left off last year.

There were no Puerto Rico women who embraced her after the match and wished for a speed recovery, but her teammates hugged her after winning the Netherlands, where she gave a big share.

- I will certainly remember this match as well, we played very well and won a great victory. I`m also glad about my game. I wanted to have a photo of me leaving Hamamatsu smiling"

http://odbojka-volleyball.com/…VtEMgWXXIv4eqmhtjv12xIliU

• Speaking of schedule how could China be so lucky and have the same game time throughout this tournament? As if being the most dominant team in the world is not enough advantage they got a "favorable" schedule. They can stick to a routine without worrying about altering them like the other teams in this tournament. That's a big fucking deal.

part of reason for China playing at the same time is proximity to China from Japan only 1 hour time difference. With big Chinese sponsorship, it makes economic sense for FIVB. Teams are essentially in pods of six for the tournament. First six play in their own pod, then play the others in the remaining part of the tournament. In this case, China was placed in Japan’s pod for the first half. FujiTV wants a tough opponent on the first weekend and then be in the middle of the week for ratings.

• USA's bench is going to beat Japan? :( Seems cruel

• USA is too athletic for Japan. They'll throw their bench at them and still beat them.

I'm just preparing myself for the worse case scenario

• With how Japan has been playing right now, it looks like USA is just a level above them. 2nd unit can win vs. japan in 3 sets.

Also why doesn’t Ishii do passing duties?

Ishii receives. I think what Japan is doing here is they keep Kobata and Risa on the line and Koga and Ishii take turns, depending on the rotation. So they each get a shot at back court attack. I don't think it matters who it is, could be Ishikawa and Osanai.

• Ishii receives. I think what Japan is doing here is they keep Kobata and Risa on the line and Koga and Ishii take turns, depending on the rotation. So they each get a shot at back court attack. I don't think it matters who it is, could be Ishikawa and Osanai.

The Chinese commentators said something like

Shinnabe has the best reception. But China won't try to serve a single ball to her.

The Japanese have a strange passing system. It's the front row spiker + opposite + libero. They want to free the back row spiker for the pipe attack. Why not free up position 4, I have no clue