FIVB World Cup 2019 - Sept. 14 to 29, Japan

• "The hitter touched it last" Meaning that the ball stayed in contact with Zhu longer than with the block.
    These situations happen sometimes and it's hard to make a call. IMO Karch was right.

I don't agree with you. We can analyze this logically. Zhu was pushing hard with that ball on Lowe's hand, with forward momentum. If zhu touched last, that ball would go to the freezone of USA side. however, that ball was going outbound on China's side of the net, which means physically it's impossible that Zhu touched that ball last. To me, that was just USA's coach being whiny and lost his cool.

• As far as consequences go, losing the #1 on FIVB is pretty milquetoast. You know, it really is not that important whether you are #1, 2, 3 or 4. As long as you are still in top 6, it's all good. In volleyball, it's much, much less important (and prestigious) to hold world #1 ranking spot than in football, basketball, or even tennis.

Besides, what was the alternative? Let the A team play such exhausting tournaments as ECh and World Cup back-to-back, with less than a week of rest in-between?! Those 2 tournaments last a whole month between them. And then, to immediately begin a club season where every single member of Serbia's A team is playing an important role?!

They would be dead come Tokyo. If you want someone to blame, blame FIVB and their idiotic schedule, not Serbian volleyball federation or Terzic.

It is not the reasons that one would like to argue... nope, I don't want to argue about the too close the schedule of the two, I even have no idea which side fixed its schedule first... but at the end it might simply no choice as the club wheels will soon rotate... and things that you outlined are true, basically it becomes a mutual-exclusive choice for those teams played in the finals or semifinals; and it happened only SRB was qualified among the 4 ECH semifinalists, and truly its choice to dispatch the non-main starting lineup team is logical!

It's just the silliness to belittle the WC by some that said, rattled folks like me, when in fact it gives out the WR points that will determine ranks and future seeding etc. Say whatever one wants about the WR points and WR but FIVB just attaches some weight there that has its own consequences! Indeed I just teased back... that's all. And only when some serious type like you gave response that I care to explain :-) I read your some truthful post about the team member in the team's thread. As one who had opportunity to visit the Balkan region in the last winter for nearly fortnight incl. having night at Belgrade I may grasp what you explained. Btw you all have a grandeur Saint Sava, still under renovation back then... just beautiful, very tranquil. Peace.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• I don't agree with you. We can analyze this logically. Zhu was pushing hard with that ball on Lowe's hand, with forward momentum. If zhu touched last, that ball would go to the freezone of USA side. however, that ball was going outbound on China's side of the net, which means physically it's impossible that Zhu touched that ball last. To me, that was just USA's coach being whiny and lost his cool.

It is possible. From the slow motion replay you can see the ball was blocked by Lowe and the ball was kept in between both players' hand for a short period of time. It is hard to tell who touched the ball last. To replay this point could be a better solution.

• It is possible. From the slow motion replay you can see the ball was blocked by Lowe and the ball was kept in between both players' hand for a short period of time. It is hard to tell who touched the ball last. To replay this point could be a better solution.

The replay cannot show everything due to the angle. Physically, it's impossible that Zhu touched with that ball last, because it's one motion with Zhu pushing forward and the ball moved back ward to China's side.

BTW, that Bartsch net touch in the first set was right caught by the camera. No replay, no shouting and finger pointing from China's side either.

• No.1 and No.2 will be in the same group. However, russi, brazil, netherlands,italy.. etc may have different group!!

Btw, after this tournament,We will hear the world NO.1 and reigning olympic champion China in all the volleyball broadcasting~~~ :lol:

Let's make you a deal...you guys let us have Olympic Gold and you can keep world No.1 title for the next 10 years. How does that sound?;):rolll:

• No 1 and No 2 will be in the same group, for sure. So, it doesn't matter.

Yeah I really don't see why should anyone think about which pool they are in. It's not going to significantly change the outcome anymore like it did two quadrinneals ago.

Like Dominican Republic scares the Brazilians?They qualified for Tokyo while experimenting against them. They're not a threat to them if this squad is fully healthy for the olympics or 50% injured.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

Edited once, last by Rains ().

• No.1 and No.2 will be in the same group. However, russi, brazil, netherlands,italy.. etc may have different group!!

Btw, after this tournament,We will hear the world NO.1 and reigning olympic champion China in all the volleyball broadcasting~~~ :lol:

<3

• As no surprise the only 2 teams that are a threat for China, are Serbia and Italy....(Brazil can push them a "little bit" when they play their best).

I`m fine with China heading into the Olympics as #1, that means less pressure on Serbia. Would be nice if Serbia had their A team and we could for sure know who is currently the number 1 team in the World......BUTTTT....it actually just makes it more exciting for the Olympics.....since neither teams will be playing their best during VNL.....

My gut is telling me the Final will be once again Serbia vs China with Italy/Japan for the Bronze.

I bet Zhu will get another MVP.....but since she already won in 2015, I wish they would give it this time for Yuan, Ding Xia or Changning.

• IMO China, US and Serbia will definitely fight for gold in Tokyo. Italy will probably complete the semifinals. That's it. Unless important players get injuried, the other teams are in a much lower level than these 4. I hope Brazil makes it to the semifinals at least to try their best to get a bronze medal, but I don't see this coming.

My prediction is that the podium will be the same as last Olympics. Of course it all depends on the groups distribution too.

• I think Ding Xia is going to win the MVP this time. She's so critical for China's success like an injury to her is going to be the be-all and end-all to their olympic crown defense.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• True, but to be fair, China had no reason to be frustrated, unlike USA. I mean, give Karch a break, his team was being murdered there :D

In fact, there is a rule of FIVB explaining such situations:

9.1.2.2 When two opponents touch the ball simultaneously over the net and
    the ball remains in play, the team receiving the ball is entitled to another
    three hits. If such a ball goes “out”, it is the fault of the team on the
    opposite side.

This logic behind this rule is what I explained. There is no way that a player, in this case Zhu, touches the ball last and it goes out on this player's side.

Apparently, Kiraly forgot this rule, and was wrong to argue.

The ref's call was 100% right.

• All kidding and bravado aside, I honestly feel that we can't beat this Chinese team. Whether it is due to some psychological blockade, or some match-up issue (that I can't figure out), or it's just been decreed by some higher power that any and all teams of Boskovic will lose to any and all teams of Zhu, we would probably need for someone else to knock them out for us to get gold.

• prediction of WR after WC

1 china

2 serbia

3 usa

4 brazil

5 netherlands

6 russia

7 japan

8 italy

9 south korea

10 dominican republic

11 argentina

12 turkey

So thus pool composition will be:

A JPN USA BRA ITA KOR CMR

B CHN SRB NED RUS DOM ARG

I thunk it is well-balanced considering last olympic's pool composition.

BUT if turkey will get the ticket for CEV

If this happens:

A JPN USA BRA KOR DOM CMR

B CHN SRB RUS ITA ARG TUR

Pool B is such a hell...

• I think Turkey will get it based on ECh performance

It's gonna be like 2016 OG.

Group B had USA CHN SRB NED ITA PUR...... :/