FIVB World Cup 2019 - Sept. 14 to 29, Japan

• That was a brilliant Ding set to Zhu in the pipe

• Now NED had errors after errors.

Zhu's attack at pos 4 is solid as usual. Zhang and Gong also contribute to the team.

Yuan's attack and block improved a lot in this WC, compared with her performance in WCH 2018.

If this China team play in WCH 2018, they might win the trophy.

Yuan definitely improved the most out of all the Chinese players this year. Zhang is also more fit and healthy this time around.

• Yuan definitely improved the most out of all the Chinese players this year. Zhang is also more fit and healthy this time around.

Zhu Ting still looks about the same but all of the other players look more fit and healthy to me.

• I think in the background China went on some secret nutrition and training regime. And fully committed to it. Like Batman.

• Well, I do remember that in like 2013, Yuan looked like 2nd Zhao Ruirui in the making during U20 WCH, where China won a gold and Yuan was selected as MVP, and very soon she was introduced to senior national team. And she's been very good player in general in all these years, but underperformed a little in context of (my) expectations taking into account her potential (height and extremely fluid mobility for her size). This tournament, she looks like a top top middle blocker, not only with a development in blocking, but also in attacking, what was on display especially during a game against Brazil.

And if she'll be able to maintain that level, she can become x-factor for Chinese NT next year against Italy and Serbia, because with an elite offensive middle blocker and Zhu they can improve even further than their level from past 4-5 years.

• I think in the background China went on some secret nutrition and training regime. And fully committed to it. Like Batman.

Fairly recently Paul Sunderland and Kevin Barnet was talking on air about how Lang Ping told them that before she took over nutrition/fitness/stretching was not really a part of the Chinese NT regimen. Its just practice X3. She said it's one of the most important thing she learned while coaching the USA team and now they're doing all of that on top of the practice X3.

• Slöetjes is having a few moments of looking years younger here.

• Fairly recently Paul Sunderland and Kevin Barnet was talking on air about how Lang Ping told them that before she took over nutrition/fitness/stretching was not really a part of the Chinese NT regimen. Its just practice X3. She said it's one of the most important thing she learned while coaching the USA team and now they're doing all of that on top of the practice X3.

Whenever I look at tournament photos there's always a few of the Chinese team doing yoga, or some derivation. Always. Never see that with other teams

• Li Yingying was too nervous in set #3. She was more confident when playing for Tianjin club.

NED finds their rhythm. The game looks interesting now.

• In hockey and golf there's always a fear of peaking too early. Like Tampa domininating the NHL in the regular season and then fizzles and got swept in the first round of the playoffs. Is "peaking too soon" a thing with volleyball?

Yeah, peaking in proper moment is sooo problematic with schedule in volleyball, basically months of an effort can be ruined if you don't play your best in a week of playoff phase of Olympic Games, and you have to reach top shape in very specific moment, because one match (f.e. Olympic QF) can determine everything from team's perspective.

I remember Poland male NT in 2012: winning World League in great style and then losing to Australia and Bulgaria at London Olympics.

• NED's two unforced errors gave up the leads.

• Why was Dijkema guarding the out of bounds after setting the ball?

• Which team's reception is shaky, which team start to struggle.

• Buijs' pass is always an issue for NED.

Congrats to China.