FIVB World Cup 2019 - Sept. 14 to 29, Japan

• So assuming they win their other matches in 3 sets Brazil can only get silver if they beat Russia in 3?

USA is assured silver and Brazil/Russia are fighting for bronze.

Brazil victory in tiebreak:

Russia: 21+3

Brazil: 20+3

Brazil victory in 3-4 sets

Brazil: 21+3

Russia: 20+3

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• USA doesn't give me intimidating vibes anymore. Russia is so close to winning with a bad passing team.

If Lazareva's reception stabilizes until Olympics, Russia can be a scary team.:obey:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Brazil still needs to beat South Korea.

And take full points hence the +3 points. 2 points is not enough to secure the bronze even if they beat Russia in 3-4 sets unless Kenya takes the russians to five sets. Unlikely though.

#FreeBritney

• So assuming they win their other matches in 3 sets Brazil can only get silver if they beat Russia in 3?

RUS v KEN & RUS v BRA and BRA v KOR...

After the match of RUS v KEN, assuming it a 3-0 ==> RUS will have 8-2 with 23 points and set ratio: 26 - 11

BRA now has 6-3 with 18 points and set ratio: 20-12

Thus I calc that BRA MUST get full 6 points from the remaining two matches to surpass RUS!

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• I didn't see who it was but ARG just had a play where someone was tasked with skyballing third contact, and it went up, but not over the net. I feel bad when that happens, after a quick chuckle.

that was elina rodriguez. she’s a blonde after all (just kidding... that was just a messy play). it was a tough angle, i think.

Does anyone here recognize the beauty of Nizetich (sounds like a German name)? :wavy:

sounds croatian to me.

• By World Cup 2015, was China already poised to take Rio Gold?

I don't think so. But they were already very good since WCH 14.

• By World Cup 2015, was China already poised to take Rio Gold?

Nope! It's the host team, Brazil, which was the hot favourite back then! And BRA as the OG host didn't take part in the 2015 WC.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• I don't think so. But they were already very good since WCH 14.

yeah i remember thinking after the US won it’s first world title, that it wasn’t a very impressive victory... not that CHN was super good, but US scored only one more point than CHN. it could have gone either way, but at that point, there was no indication who was favorite for rio.

• "This match remains wide open and it's up to grab" --> match commentator :-)

The 5-4 segment has NED (5th) and KOR (6th).

• I don't think so. But they were already very good since WCH 14.

I would say they were already a good team in 2013. They were the biggest threat to Brazil in WGP final 6 but instead of startiny Zhu Ting and Hui Ruoqi, Lang ping used the final game v Brazil to gauge if Wang Yimei is still NT-material.

#FreeBritney

• yeah i remember thinking after the US won it’s first world title, that it wasn’t a very impressive victory... not that CHN was super good, but US scored only one more point than CHN. it could have gone either way, but at that point, there was no indication who was favorite for rio.

And the US almost got eliminated on the third phase of the WCH, right? Or maybe I'm confused right now

• At this point Serbia and China are just different beasts. I'd say they are neck-and-neck in terms of claiming Tokyo gold.

Italy and USA are a tier below. There's something missing in both teams (ITA - SET/OH, USA - LIB/OH) that hinders them from being in the same level as SRB, CHN. If they solve one of those issues, they'd have a chance against the top teams.