FIVB World Cup 2019 - Sept. 14 to 29, Japan

• I'm asking you since you brought it up remembering this vividly. Nothing surprising to lose against an unknown team that defeated Poland. Serbia on the other hand...

I really don't believe the Brazilian team and its true fans ever forget the Brazilian early exit from the 2018 World championships in Japan :whistle:

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Dude, it was 2002 and I'm not sure what event you're talking about (It would be more than appreciate that you elaborate further your thought). But even though if what you're stating is a stone cold fact, this was happening almost 20 yrs ago. There is a huge, huge and huge difference between a one time "offender" and a repeat offender.

LMAO, your whole arguement is a joke, like killing one person is better than killing 10?:rolll:

• LMAO, your whole arguement is a joke, like killing one person is better than killing 10?:rolll:

Hummmm... I'm not sure if you have enough intellectual capacity to understand the difference between killing someone with a rule of sport. If I follow your logic, do you mean I cannot criticize someone for dangerous driving because I had speeding once 20 year ago? Do you also mean I cannot call someone who lies chronically a mythoman because I lie once 20 yrs ago? If I go further with you logic, do you mean, no one had the right to criticize Hitler because almost every country had also killed innocent people in their history?

Well, if my argument is a joke, then you must be a clown.

Edit: And oh btw, since you brought up with a such idiotic example of "killing", I just let you know that from judicial standpoint, there are also a huge, huge, huge and huge difference between killing one person and killing 10 people.

• Is russia locked for a podium?

if brazil win 3-0 would it snatched the bronze?

ROSSIYA is well locked into podium. Only we can't be sure for 100% her medal colour at present. Most likely bronze is the colour but by some godly touch she can just end up in silver :whistle:

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• When a team has clinched their positions for the next round, the coach has the option to rest players. So last year Serbia had clinched their spot in the 3rd round and chose not to start their normal roster against Japan. Japan won the match and then needed to win two sets against Brazil to advance to the 3rd round. Brazil did not win against Germany and had match points in that match early which kept them out of the 3rd round. USA needed help from a full strength China roster in their final 2nd round match against Russia to advance. China did play their first string team and won.

The FIVB has tried to prevent “gaming the system” with additional draws later in Olympics and World Championship.

I think the reason we see 3 team groups now is to prevent the gaming of the system later in tournaments.

• When a team has clinched their positions for the next round, the coach has the option to rest players. So last year Serbia had clinched their spot in the 3rd round and chose not to start their normal roster against Japan. Japan won the match and then needed to win two sets against Brazil to advance to the 3rd round. Brazil did not win against Germany and had match points in that match early which kept them out of the 3rd round. USA needed help from a full strength China roster in their final 2nd round match against Russia to advance. China did play their first string team and won.

The FIVB has tried to prevent “gaming the system” with additional draws later in Olympics and World Championship.

I think the reason we see 3 team groups now is to prevent the gaming of the system later in tournaments.

China could very well saved its team energy by playing bench players, a very legitimate decision, instead of its starting line-up against the RUS team. That match outcome ain't significant for China at all, which already secured its spot. And that might be Lang Ping's very silly fault to play a high sportsmanship, when the SRB team already set the tactical example first. And really, who could complain about that SRB's tactical decision that ended up with that match owned by the host team and eventually kicked out the BRA team?? I blamed Lang Ping for her such naivety!

I just hope that Lang would have learnt good lessons from that situation!

Edited 2 times, last by samsara ().

• Why Araki isn't playing? Has something happened with her?

Gold Medal - Prediction Game - Men's - Olympic Games 2012
    Gold Medal - Prediction Game - Men's - European Championship 2015
    Silver Medal
    - Prediction Game - Women's - Olympic Games 2012

がんばれ 日本!

• Wang Yuanyuan seems to favored by Lang Ping. Maybe she will be the third MB in Tokyo? Though we still have to see how the season goes and how they play during VNL as that will be their last chance to show their skills.

Expect Wang Yuanyuan and Yang Han-yu to play a lot in the 2020 VNL along with other subs and reserves! The great festive testing ground.

• The Asia's ranked #2 simply destroyed the Latin America's #2... JPN v ARG 3:0 (26-24, 25-15, 25-14)

And Ai Kurogo played as sub in all three sets! Attacks 5/10.

Just spotted her awaited appearance in this tournament!

• WHY BE SO RUDE ??? Just skip it if you didn't like what I posted!! Yeah you're the smarter class here :wall:

Had I enjoyed watching the silly anorectic fashion model I wouldn't have been here! :P

Btw you can add me in your ignored list if you don't like my post! No need to act uncivilized here!!

I don’t think you meant anything bad by it, but please don’t call anorexic people silly. This is a very serious condition that most people don’t understand and to call them silly is quite disrespectful.

Sorry. I know this is off-topic and not the place for this discussion but I hope you understand where I’m coming from.

• WORLD CUP:

1. ALL STAR ASIAN TEAM

OH: Zhu Ting, Zhang Changning

OPP: Kim Yeonkoung (moving her here)

S: Miya Sato

MB: Yan Ni, Yuan Xinyue

L: Hae Ran Kim

2. ALL STAR AMERICAN TEAM

OH: Kelsey Robinson, Brayelin Martinez

MB: Chiaka Ogbogu, Fabiana Claudino

S: Macris Carneiro

OPP: Andrea Drews
    L: Leia

3. ALL STAR EUROPEAN TEAM

OH: Voronkova, Buijs
    OPP: Goncharova

MB: Koroleva, Aleksic

S: Mirkovic

L: Pusic

• China could very well saved its team energy by playing bench players, a very legitimate decision, instead of its starting line-up against the RUS team. That match outcome ain't significant for China at all, which already secured its spot. And that might be Lang Ping's very silly fault to play a high sportsmanship, when the SRB team already set the tactical example first. And really, who could complain about that SRB's tactical decision that ended up with that match owned by the host team and eventually kicked out the BRA team?? I blamed Lang Ping for her such naivety!

I just hope that Lang would have learnt good lessons from that situation!

It was the same for Italy, that was dead-tired at the end of the competition...

I'm not fan of the formula of WCH, I prefer to have 1/8 and 1/4 finals rather than the final 6

• I mostly agree but I’m not sure how Buijs gets in there. Parubets has been far better.

• my picks:

OH: Zhu, Robinson

OPP: Goncharova

MB: Koroleva, Yuan

S: Ding Xia

L: can't pick one. Maybe the Japanese libero? Maybe a bit biased, but i've been quite impressed with Pilipenko.

• Congratulations for China for their 5th Women's World Cup win. It is important to point out that after 1981s and 1985s victories, they won World Championships, and after 2003s and 2015s victories, they won two Olympic golds. I guess it's a quite good prediction for them to win World Cup a year ahead of important global competition, if that was Italy, we would know they won't reach Olympics SF a next year. :P

Zhu Ting was outstanding as always, I don't want to drag out this whole discussion, but I think this tournament once again showed her biggest argument in comparisons to elite opposites like Egonu and Boskovic - she's not only a killer on offense, in contrary - on the left wing, but she's also so great in limiting errors, for example this tournament she's been attacking on 55% efficiency, and only 7% of her attacks ended as points for China's opponents, basically it's impossible to make less errors than she does this tournament and in her whole career considering how dominant her role is in every team she plays in on offense. I guess she'll receive another MVP - and she will become first back-to-back MVP in both female and male World Cups.

I think that in general, China's team is Olympic-ready form-wise, style-wise and definitely was ready shape-wise during this tournament. Taking into account the way they defeated Turkey during Tokyo qualification, I think this year Lang Ping's team played the best volleyball in women's competitions, even better than Serbia. This tournament, they basically have had up to know one moment of weakness: against Brazil, but they were still able to fight over difficulties and get a W.

Like I said previously, the biggest development in overall of Chinese performance, outside of being in top shape of every starting player, was in my opinion Yuan Xinyue. China plays differently than in a past, when middle blockers were perhaps the most important part of an offensive strategy (Zhao Ruirui, Zhang Ping in Athens, Xue Ming later) of Kun Feng-based setting system - because now they have Zhu, but Yuan was still able to be the best player on a court during crucial game against Brazil, and her offensive stats (63% efficiency on attack) are truly amazing as for female middle blocker. She's also 6th in blocking statistics, so I guess her and Koroleva will receive awards for best middle blockers. If she maintains this level of performance next year, China will have another amazing option on their offense, with quality setter Ding Xia capable of exploiting that.

My biggest question mark regarding China's team is whether Zhang Changning will be able to reproduce this type of performance next year. She's very quality player with her serve, blocking, quite solid receiving and good offensive skills - and played on similar level four years ago during previous World Cup, but I do remember she didn't play her best in Rio nor during last WCHs. When China has on a court second high-efficiency winger around a net like Zhang. they're so difficult to beat with their error-less style of playing, and if Zhang plays the way she's been playing this tournament, I think they're the front-runners to defend their Olympic gold.

Last but not least - in 2016, Lang Ping became the first ever person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as a person and a player, and how she has become first person ever to win back-to-back World Cups both as a player (1981 and 1985) and a coach (2015 and 2019). The latter will be possible to reproduce in a future only if some Italian player from 2007-2011 teams or one of Chinese players from this team decide to start her coaching career and become the very best, like Lang Bing has done 23 years ago when she took a job of a coach of China NT back in 1995 for a first time. :P I didn't notice any Cubans from 90s Golden Generation to become relevant coaches yet.

Oh, and I forgot, with five World Cups won, China set a record of wins within this competition, previously shared with Cuba. That's a nice achievement, and like I said, in four of them, Lang Ping was crucial part of Chinese teams in different roles, what's truly amazing. :P

• I think they will give Best OPP award to Bjelica.

MVP: Zhu

Best OHs: Robinson, Gabi

Best OPP: Bjelica

Best MBs: Koroleva, Yuan

Best S: Sato

Best L: Larysmer Caro