FIVB World Cup 2019 - Sept. 14 to 29, Japan

• So far, I think that the good surprise of the tournment has been South Korea. They didnt have a good VNL, even though it was expected because its NT seemed a hospital, like Brazil in WCH 18; KYK has been injured, new players coming back from injuries and the heartbreaking lost against Russia.

Actually, SK played really well even when KYK wasnt on the court. It is more than obvious that their defensa has improved a lot, which is a key factor for their game.

In the other hand, I think the disappointments have been 3 teams: NED, JPN and DOM. The Dutch team has been underperforming during almost all the summer. So, maybe it isnt a surprise their position in the ranking. However, since this tournment is very important in order to keep WR points in case they dont qualify for Tokyo, I expected a better game from them. I know they are missing Robin, but there were some matches it was just painful to watch. And finally, DOM. From being Panamerican Champions some months ago, to just fight for the 9th position and being in the bottom with Argentina, Kenya and Cameroon. The same script: just a wonderful match (as against Russia) and then a tragic one (being trashed 25-9 by USA). It is so good for them and for their confidence to beat NED, but we all knew this NED was already in KO phase. I really like Larysmer Martinez. She isnt Brenda, of course, but she hasnt been the weakest link of her team. I expected a better performance from a team whose core has been playing together since more than 10 years ago.

• So far, I think that the good surprise of the tournment has been South Korea. They didnt have a good VNL, even though it was expected because its NT seemed a hospital, like Brazil in WCH 18; KYK has been injured, new players coming back from injuries and the heartbreaking lost against Russia.

Actually, SK played really well even when KYK wasnt on the court. It is more than obvious that their defensa has improved a lot, which is a key factor for their game.

In the other hand, I think the disappointments have been 3 teams: NED, JPN and DOM. The Dutch team has been underperforming during almost all the summer. So, maybe it isnt a surprise their position in the ranking. However, since this tournment is very important in order to keep WR points in case they dont qualify for Tokyo, I expected a better game from them. I know they are missing Robin, but there were some matches it was just painful to watch. And finally, DOM. From being Panamerican Champions some months ago, to just fight for the 9th position and being in the bottom with Argentina, Kenya and Cameroon. The same script: just a wonderful match (as against Russia) and then a tragic one (being trashed 25-9 by USA). It is so good for them and for their confidence to beat NED, but we all knew this NED was already in KO phase. I really like Larysmer Martinez. She isnt Brenda, of course, but she hasnt been the weakest link of her team. I expected a better performance from a team whose core has been playing together since more than 10 years ago.

Yes, SK played great. I had written them off mentally because KYK is like 30 or something now. But this new team doesn't rely on her so much.

• Koroleva is far away the best MB in this tournament. Ever since Fetisova was out of commission, she has become a great blocker overnight it seems.. Goncharova now sitting at #4 Best Attacker after the match against Kenya today go get that Best Opp award Gonchy :box:

PS. After all the Efimova hate, she is third best blocker if we look at the stats :what:

• Koroleva is far away the best MB in this tournament. Ever since Fetisova was out of commission, she has become a great blocker overnight it seems.. Goncharova now sitting at #4 Best Attacker after the match against Kenya today go get that Best Opp award Gonchy :box:

PS. After all the Efimova hate, she is third best blocker if we look at the stats :what:

true. She has silenced her haters lol. I'm not a big fan of her but i think she did pretty well. Still, Fetisova is miles better.

• I wonder who would win if they would face each other. This current China or the one from 2004?

• I couldn't follow this competition a lot but looking at the stats, Sheilla had 1 kill on 10 attempts today :gone: Did Ze Roberto really think she was able to be back in a good shape in a few weeks ?:gone:

He thinks she is the same from Beijing... He even had an argument with Roberta, in one of the games, questioning her why she wasn't passing to Sheila. Do you want me to answer, Zé?

• I wonder who would win if they would face each other. This current China or the one from 2004?

Well, it was different volleyball back then, especially in terms of serve pressure, I don't think '04 Chinese team would be so effective with their system of playing based on reception and utilization of middle blockers nowadays, neither they would have similar advantage in quickness of setting which Kun Feng's team had in 2003-04. Amazing team, but better suited to times they played in. Obviously they would be still very competitive in this era, but not as dominant as they were in 2003-04 winning WGP-World Cup-Olympic Games.

• You'd summarized a very complete piece of approval fact details about the World Cup achievements of the Chinese team, even more thorough than the many pieces written by the Chinese sport media :-) lol thumbs up

Some players were still new and young in Rio, players like Zhang CN, Yuan XY, Gong XY (the debutant) etc even Zhu Ting herself were still young and first time played in OG. Zhang just backed from recovery and had skipped the 2018 Asian Games, the largest multi-sport event for the Asia Continent, a quadrennial games, lasted till 02 Sep 2018, not long before the WCH kicked off. Zhang did not play well in WCH due to her previous sickness and long absence from the team.

You have pinpointed that the most progresses (in WC cf. WCH) are being displayed by Yuan XY and Zhang CN (prolly they wish to redeem themselves as both of them got the most blame from the past WCH performance, esp. Yuan).

About the 2020 OG, whether or not the team can prime themselves during that event is a crucial factor in defending its title. But nonetheless competition will be tough, there are several major teams as the serious medal contenders. Nothing is sure beforehand.

Well, btw this title defending in WC is nice gift from the team for the upcoming China's National Day, the 70th.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• LAST DAY'S MATCHES

Matches on SUNDAY, September 29 in Osaka:

1. South Korea v USA at 11.00
    2. Dominican Republic v Serbia at 12.30
    3. Russia v Brazil at 14.00
    4. China v Argentina at 15.00
    5. Cameroon v Kenya at 17.00
    6. Japan v Netherlands at 19.20

It's been a fantastic fortnight world class women's volleyball festive but all good things must come to an end.

Need to wait another four year to watch the similar event like this... and again back with the freebies of OG tickets, thus no one will attend with a B-C to this party :whistle:

the egalitarian all inclusive single round robin format... no draw is needed! No hide-out, no luck of pool, no so-called "rounds", no evasion at all, just limited seats like Oly!:bump:

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• I mostly agree but I’m not sure how Buijs gets in there. Parubets has been far better.

Parubets is disappointing against the strong teams. She really has to do well in the Brazil match to deserve an award.

Koroleva is far away the best MB in this tournament. Ever since Fetisova was out of commission, she has become a great blocker overnight it seems.. Goncharova now sitting at #4 Best Attacker after the match against Kenya today go get that Best Opp award Gonchy :box:

Third best blocker from a Russian team doesn't mean much.

Eye test dictates that Russia loses the right to serve when Efimova is in front.

It's basically the same complaint by the american fans to Washington but atleast she's a presence in the attack and not some wallflower during the offense transition.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Parubets is disappointing against the strong teams. She really has to do well in the Brazil match to deserve an award.

That’s true, though her performance against DOM was a big reason Russia won that particular match. I don’t think she should get any real award, just that if we were making a European Dream Team for this competition she is more deserving than Buijs.

• That’s true, though her performance against DOM was a big reason Russia won that particular match. I don’t think she should get any real award, just that if we were making a European Dream Team for this competition she is more deserving than Buijs.

Agreed but since an opposite is technically an outside hitter, let's just give it to Bjelica.:teach:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Congrats to Chinese girls!!

Zhu, and even Zhang, used quick RIPs much more in this tournament than before. I believe that this highly effective offense tactic is a weapon that China saved for this tournament. Zhu's Back-row attach becomes even faster. Yuan's slide also got improved a lot. What would happen next year? Will there be new tactics? Looking forward! Hope Li Yingying can get better in 2020, a little bit disappointed by her in the last few matches...

Surprisingly good to me was Korea. I also liked Lazovic from Serbia a lot.

Quite disappointed by Brazil and Japan. Their technique levels seem to have dropped....

• It seems Russia will get Bronze. Is this the first time Russia NT stand on podium in last nine years? Anyway it's an improvement for Russian girls.

• It seems Russia will get Bronze. Is this the first time Russia NT stand on podium in last nine years? Anyway it's an improvement for Russian girls.

They got medals in ECh and VNL

For the major international competitions, yes. Last time was Gold at WCh 2010. I think Goncha and Startseva were part of that actually.