2019 Volleyball Nations League (VNL)

• Yeah, it's so strange though, even the FIVB itself announce that Iran is the first team to go to the Chicago, How are they calculating mathematically ?! :sos:

Considering BRA FRA ITA CAN will be in the same group, I was thinking whether all these related teams could end up above IRI. I did a math and logic game, and my conclusion is -- in theory the worst ranking of IRI could be #8, counting USA in as well.

To "realize" this, assuming IRI got the worst result -- losing all 4 remaining matches, and got 0 point. That'll be 5 losses and 30 points total.

CAN currently has 5 wins and 5 losses and 15 points , and needs all 5 wins with 15 points for all remaining 5 matches, including USA JPN FRA ITA and BRA. (their game vs USA is later today, maybe when you see my post, they already lost to USA, lol, but I'm talking about as of now). Then CAN would have same wins and points with IRI, and counting set ratio, there would be some cases (different combinations of 3-0 and 3-1) where CAN could be better than IRI.

POL has deficit in points if they have tie with others in number of losses (too many 3-2 wins), so would have to win all remaining 4 matches (ITA, JPN, POR, GER), to have 4 losses only to be above IRI, but as long as they could win all 4, whether that's 3-2 or 3-0 doesn't matter.

Now that CAN and POL both have to win all remaining, that means two more losses for ITA (to POL and CAN) already, so ITA has to beat BRA and FRA, then have 5 losses as well. But POL doesn't have to beat ITA in 4 sets. So if POL 3-2 ITA, and ITA beats BRA and FRA in 4 sets, ITA will collect 7 more points to have 31 points, 1 more point than IRI.

Now that both ITA and CAN have to beat FRA, that'll also mean 2 more losses for FRA, but FRA just needs to beat IRI and BRA in 4 sets to collect 6 points, that'll also give FRA 5 losses in total and 31 points, 1 more point than IRI.

Now that CAN, ITA, FRA all beat BRA, that'll mean 3 more losses for BRA, then as long as BRA beats RUS, BRA will have 4 losses in total.

RUS definitely can afford one loss to BRA, since their last 3 opponents are AUS ARG and CHN.

USA (yes, I know they qualified, but just do the math of ranking here...) just needs to beat CHN, SRB, IRI and BUL in 4 sets, losing to CAN, to have 5 losses as well, but also end up with 31 points.

So in the scenario above, RUS has 3 losses, BRA and POL have 4 losses, FRA, ITA, USA have 5 losses but 31 points, CAN has 5 losses and 30 points, but can have slightly better set ratio than IRI. So IRI can rank 8th.

FIVB needs a math teacher... lol

• I don't think the problem is wing spikers, they have normal height for the position as far as I can tell. It's just the Opp. position really. Lima is a WS playing as opp. and Pereyra is simply too poor for this level.

I always say this but, once again: there was a time when Argentina had Milinkovic scoring 30+ points almost every game and no team around him to support. Now they have a very decent team all around but no Milinkovic to go for the kill when needed... the gods of volleyball have not been kind to Argentina.

When I say wing spikers I mean the spikers at both wings (OHs and OPP). Argentina has a group of decent spikers (Conte, Poglajen, Palacios, Martinez, Bruno, Lima, etc), but it’s a challenging task for them when facing taller blockers like the Polish B team yesterday. They’ve already got good skills, but unfortunately they don’t have superior height nor jump. This becomes crucial at the crunch time of a game when the tactics usually turn simpler and there’re no go-to players among them to close a tight game.

• Thanks for clarification :win:

• Praying for a France win no matter the no. of sets.

• WoW Iran is playing with its almost B team except Mousavi and Marouf

• I dont think Russia can win against Brazil, especially not in the absence of their OH duo Kliuka-Volkov.. I predict 3-1 win for Brazil

• Unfortunately, less block pts always seem as our main problem in men and women volleyball, even if we win the game. Our 4block pts against Bulgarian 8block pts.

I don't see that as a negative.

You have to view the game as a whole.

Russia had more attack, serve and points from opponent errors.

Russia also defended better so even with less block kills it's just something you should consider as Russia having more chances to counter attack.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Is Iran’s plan to send the same team next week and use their starting players perhaps in one match to secure the spot for the final round? Interesting choice for them to use a reserve squad today, especially in front of their home fans.

• Is the challenge system in Iran different from the one used in other countries? Why is the resolution of the video replay that low?

I can’t understand why FIVB accept that. Iran should provide high quality product as other countries do with all of the options of challenge system.

• Is the challenge system in Iran different from the one used in other countries? Why is the resolution of the video replay that low?

because of the sanctions, Iran can't get the new challenge system.