2019 Volleyball Nations League (VNL)

• I haven't watched all matches from France this VNL. I've seen Kevin Tillie and Rossard playing as Libero. When did Carle and Le Roux play as Libero? How about Clevenot?

My pick for France's strongest 7:

OH: N'gapeth, Clevenot

S: Toniutti

MB: Le Roux, Le Goff

OPP: Patry

L: Is there a chance that I wouldn't pick Grebennikov :-)

OPP is their weakest link on court.

• Of course I know what running-sets means. Running-sets means the spikers face empty net or a single blocker. Still-sets means spikers face two or three blockers. For sure, other factors will affect the result too, but running-sets is the key factor to evaluate a setter. High running-sets tells us the setter's ability to avoid blocking, which also improves attacker's percentage overall.

The more stats we count, the more accurate it would be. For example, the data of several hundreds of running/still definitely tells us something.

Better way to calculate setter efficiency:

First portion: Estimate Maximum Net Assists (Set led to kill)

((Team Spike Kills-Team Spike Faults)-(Setter Spike Kills-Setter Spike Faults)) x (Setter Sets Played/Team Sets Played)

This takes out setters own spike attempts and focuses on the amount of chances the setter had to set the play for a kill.

Second portion: Estimate the amount of Net Assists (setting attempts by the setter and not the teammates)

Maximum Net Assists x ((Running Sets+Standing Sets)/(Team Set Attempts))

If a player does the majority of setting for a team, they had more attempts to give their players a chance to kill the ball.

Last portion: How Many Net Assists per Set Played

Net Assists/Setter Sets Played

If the player is on the court more, they will affect the play more. If not, they will affect the play less.

I also use 48 point sets (25-23 or 24-24 set score). If the score is less than 48 it is an expected result, for 1.00 sets played. If it goes to extra points, then take the point total between the two teams (26-24)=50/48=1.04. A 5th set would be 28/48 to start or .58 sets played. Again increasing in value even in extra points. (22-20)=42/48=.875

• As their back-up libero

Trevor, game against USA. Carle when they played Iran and Le Roux vs Portugal.

Checked it. Got it right

• Using this data, Kobzar is around 4.18 Net Assists a Set with 43 sets played (I didn't do 48 point sets, just tried to do the quick calculation)

Kovalev is at 1.64 Net Assists a Set in the same amount of sets played. The big difference is about 400 more sets for Kobzar.

• Are you even watching Russia's games in its entirety? Kobzar has definitely been the better setter overall. Leadership skills notwithstanding, he sets the balls to the middles better, is more scrappy in defense, and can "turn up" the team in the crucial moments. I love Kovalev but the only thing going for him is his block, that is why he is now mainly used as a blocking substitute towards the end of the sets.. Lastly, stats don't tell the whole picture, if you are able to I suggest you watch the replays of these matches in particular: RUSxJPN, RUSxSRB so you would see how Kobzar is currently the better setter.

I think that Kobzar is good with Poletaev, Yaroslav, Kurkaev, Yakovlev, etc because they play "fast" volleyball. But I don't think that he will be useful when Maxim, Dmitry, Kliuka, Volvich come back... That's the reason why Kovalev needs to be ready in the principal competitions. If he fails, Grankin should return to NT.

Pd: In the future Abaev (19y-o) will be the principal setter. I hope that this happens in Tokyo :rose:

• Brizard instead of toniutti? Also if n'gapeth had to replace one of the OHs who would you pick.

• Brizard instead of toniutti? Also if n'gapeth had to replace one of the OHs who would you pick.

I would like for them to go with their Curitiba line-up

OH: N'Gapeth / Clevenot

OPP: Boyer

MB: Leroux and Chinenyeze (but i think Le Goff is better, injured 2017)

S: Toniutti

L: Jenia

• Ah makes sense, pity I can't watch vnl from where I live tho, just have to be satisfied with highlights

good thing we have it here in the Philippines. And i think it's cheaper here. Got my season pass for 14.99 :dance6:but when my friend was about to subscribe it went up to 26 :lol:

• Poland in Lipsk

Rozgrywający: Marcin Komenda, Marcin Janusz

Atakujący: Maciej Muzaj, Łukasz Kaczmarek, Bartłomiej Bołądź, Bartosz Filipiak

Środkowi: Norbert Huber, Karol Kłos, Mateusz Bieniek

Przyjmujący: Aleksander Śliwka, Tomasz Fornal, Bartosz Bednorz, Piotr Łukasik

Libero: Damian Wojtaszek

• Ooh lucky you

Any idea when France will start using their strongest lineups?

I hope they can figure that out soon. They're not safe yet.

• Looks like US sent none of their top players and instead sent their B and C squad players to the next round.

MB: Taylor Averill, George Huhmann, Price Jarman, Jeff Jendryk

OH: Torey DeFalco, Thomas Jaeschke, Jake Langlois, Garrett Muagututia

OPP: Ben Patch, Kyle Russell

S: Micah Ma’a, Josh Tuaniga

L: Kyle Dagostino, Dustin Watten

• Makes sense, all the starters can just hang out in Chicago and train for two weeks. Surprised at no Stahl though

• Brazil roster:

S: Bruno, Cachopa

OPP: Alan, Rafael

OHs: Lucarelli, Leal, Douglas, M. Borges

MBs: Lucão, M. Souza, Isac, Flávio

L: Thales, Maique

Wallace is taking the weekend off, so Alan is gonna take the starter spot and Rafael will be his backup.