Questions from the past

• Hi guys,

Last time I watch a lot of 90's and 00's volleyball and a lot of questions appeared in my head. And druring last Women's WCH I read some user story about Barbara Ruzić, which was interesting to read and I would like to find similar stories about other players and maybe keep this kind of information in one thread. Gathering and verifying information is my aim. Hopefully it will be possible.

Some time ago I was asking about Ana Moser and got even whole story of her career: Ana Moser: The Brazilian Fighter

At the beginning I would like to ask about two absences of Athens 2004:

- Simona Gioli - I heard somewhere that she was not liked by Bonitta and he was just malicious and just doesn't called her. Can anyone verify? (Quick check - she played as starting at WGP, so it is more interesting why she was missing)

- Elena Godina - I remember that Andrzej Niemczyk sais that Karpol didn't like her and just decided to not take her to Athens.

- Anastacia Belikova - just lost her place before tournament?

- Raisa O'Farril - why she didn't go to Sydney? She was in the roster for WGP 2000 finals and after that lost place in a sport way?

- Magaly Carvahal - after 1996 decided to retire with NT?

- Regla Torres - 25 years, 3 Olympis gold medals, 3 World Cups, 2 WCH... she disappears for 2001 and is back again for 2002. Why she deiced to end with NT after that being 27 only?

I will thankful for any answer.

• - Elena Godina - I remember that Andrzej Niemczyk sais that Karpol didn't like her and just decided to not take her to Athens.

I can answer this one, though I don't remember the source back then, but I remember it being reliable:

Karpol offered Sokolova money in order to return to NT for 2004 Olympics. Then Godina also asked for money to return, but in her case Karpol refused. As far as I remember both players left NT due to conflicts with Karpol before, and apparently Godina was quite upset about Sokolova being begged to return while she was not.

• - Regla Torres - 25 years, 3 Olympis gold medals, 3 World Cups, 2 WCH... she disappears for 2001 and is back again for 2002. Why she deiced to end with NT after that being 27 only?

Oh, and this one too: Torres had a serious knee injury, she was just about half healthy when she returned in 2002 and apparently it looked like it wouldn't get any better anymore, so she quit playing.

• I dont think Gioli was a starter in the 2004 GP. I clearly remember Barazza and Anzanello as the two MBs. Well, at least in the final round...

It's true they didn't like each other...Bonitta has had many issues with other players too if I remember correctly.

• I dont think Gioli was a starter in the 2004 GP. I clearly remember Barazza and Anzanello as the two MBs. Well, at least in the final round...

It's true they didn't like each other...Bonitta has had many issues with other players too if I remember correctly.

I checked intercontinental phase. Then she was starting.

I don't know Matthias how to thank you.:drink:DO you know what knee kind of injury Torres had?

• I checked intercontinental phase. Then she was starting.

I don't know Matthias how to thank you.:drink:DO you know what knee kind of injury Torres had?

I've been checking some articles from German press from 2002-03 (at the time she had a German boyfriend and for a while lived in Germany). It sounds like there was damage due to exhaustion which made her miss 2001 and during WCH 2002 she had to put ice on the knee after every practice and match. She had a surgery afterwards but it didn't help much.

• I've been checking some articles from German press from 2002-03 (at the time she had a German boyfriend and for a while lived in Germany). It sounds like there was damage due to exhaustion which made her miss 2001 and during WCH 2002 she had to put ice on the knee after every practice and match. She had a surgery afterwards but it didn't help much.

Thanks for so comprehensive answer!