2022 FIVB World Championship - POL/SLO

• Matthias

Changed the title of the thread from “2022 FIVB World Championship - Russia” to “2022 FIVB World Championship - POL/SLO”.
  • Slovenia replaced its head coach today naming Romanian Gheorgheju Cretuju the coach, replacing Mark Lebedew.

I hope team SLO will find their rythm back after that disappointing vnl results

• 1. France

2. Poland

3/4. USA/Italy

QFs. Slovenia, Argentina, Serbia, Brazil.

Cuba or Iran could have a place in QF too but I don't have much hope in either team to be honest.

• France, Poland, USA, and Italy. Not sure in which order.

I hope at least one of Cuba, Iran, Argentina, and Slovenia will make a surprise and prove me wrong.

Iran did a great job in VNL but I am not sure if they’ll be able to keep up with that performance, how middles and back ups will perform will decide whether or not they will go further in the tournament.

I am so excited to see Cuba in a top tournament after many years and genuinely hope they will get some good results and continue to invest. They have real talents but I don’t know anything about their back ups and they don’t tend to use much of them anyway. Any good serving team will hurt them bad.

Slovenia appointed a new coach just a few weeks before the tournament so we’ll see if they’ll get back to their old shape. There are reports that they already have started to develop chemistry having a new coach.

Argentina is an unstable team and it is hard to predict what they’ll do. I won’t be surprised if they win against Poland only to be defeated by a low ranking team. They kinda remind me of Dominican Republic on women side lol

Brazil is Brazil and I won’t be surprised if they end up on the podium after all, albeit it will be really hard. Maybe they would fire Renan finally and that would be a consolation.

Some experienced players have joined the team but it is hard for me to think they’ll do great on the long run. Not sure what they think Atana could provide for a team at this point.

• I am so excited to see Cuba in a top tournament after many years and genuinely hope they will get some good results and continue to invest. They have real talents but I don’t know anything about their back ups and they don’t tend to use much of them anyway. Any good serving team will hurt them bad.

Cuba on paper looks decent, the problem is:

- Yant had issues with his knee during Panamerican Cup, so Mergarejo played in a starting lineup

- Simon had COVID/finger injury, so he didn't play since FIVB Challenger Cup

- Concepcion (MB) also had an injury, so Michel Sanchez (OPP) played as a MB

- Cardenas (talented 4th OH) got injured and he'll miss WCH

So on paper, Cuba looks fantastic, but it's a big question mark in what shape they'll start this tournament. It's sad tho considering both libero and setter are very passable for Cuban standards.

• Alonso is out due to injury. I have read there is a possibility Sanchez may not play but he is in the roster and in Slovenia according to instagram posts. I want Cuba back in volleyball scene.

• I hope Simon can play, his presence can make a big difference. But I am not optimistic about Yant’s return unfortunately. He couldn’t play in the Challenger Cup as well, his injury may be more serious than we thought.

Their first match against Brazil would be interesting. Considering Brazil’s current bad shape, Cuba has a chance if their passing and setting can withstand the pressure from the Brazilian side. An upset against Brazil can boost their confidence a lot and help them go further in the tournament.

• He couldn’t play in the Challenger Cup as well, his injury may be more serious than we thought.

He played in the group phase of Panamerican Cup (and was decent in those games), so I think it's more of a minor issue, but the problem is even minor knee injury can leave you out of the court.

Cuba has really young roster besides Simon and Sanchez, Simon in an interview said that this team will be at the peak of its capabilities in 3-4 years from now, so more important than this year's WCH is whether they'll implode as a team, as they always sooner or later did since '01 breakaway, or not. With all the ranking points they've already won, they're by far the second-highest NORCECA team in a world ranking, so that may be enough for OT qualification (if USA makes it through intercontinental events).

• With all the ranking points they've already won, they're by far the second-highest NORCECA team in a world ranking, so that may be enough for OT qualification (if USA makes it through intercontinental events).

There is no more continental qualifications. Cuba as a second NORCECA team cannot play on that card. Basically this is only for african teams, all other spots will be decided just by rating positions.

• There is no more continental qualifications. Cuba as a second NORCECA team cannot play on that card. Basically this is only for african teams, all other spots will be decided just by rating positions.

Nope, the highest-classified team in FIVB ranking for every continent will play in Paris, but if USA advances through intercontinental qualies, then Cuba as the-highest classified remaining team will advance.

• Nope, the highest-classified team in FIVB ranking for every continent will play in Paris, but if USA advances through intercontinental qualies, then Cuba as the-highest classified remaining team will advance.

that's only if a team from that confederation doesnt qualify.

USA would take the NORCECA spot in that situation.

• Nope, the highest-classified team in FIVB ranking for every continent will play in Paris, but if USA advances through intercontinental qualies, then Cuba as the-highest classified remaining team will advance.

No :) 6 teams from intercontinental qualifications plus host will go, so 5 spots left.

Only continents that don't have any teams already qualified after that will have "luck" for free pass for their best ranked team.

After that, all other spots will be filled just based on the ranking.

• He played in the group phase of Panamerican Cup (and was decent in those games), so I think it's more of a minor issue, but the problem is even minor knee injury can leave you out of the court.

Cuba has really young roster besides Simon and Sanchez, Simon in an interview said that this team will be at the peak of its capabilities in 3-4 years from now, so more important than this year's WCH is whether they'll implode as a team, as they always sooner or later did since '01 breakaway, or not. With all the ranking points they've already won, they're by far the second-highest NORCECA team in a world ranking, so that may be enough for OT qualification (if USA makes it through intercontinental events).

Hope he can get enough rest during the preliminary phase and be ready at the knockout rounds then.

Cuba is the team I look forward the most to watch in this WCH. Most other teams are playing with expected rosters and familiar players that we know what to expect from them. Cuba otoh is so young and their physical talents are always out of this world. I wouldn’t be too surprised if they manage to win both their matches against Brazil & Japan in the first round (or vice versa, as stability is always their biggest problem)