2022 FIVB World Championship - POL/SLO

• FIVB copies the ranking system from FIFA but football can gain world ranking points with friendly matches but volleyball can't. It's ridiculous.

That's why football players can earn millions while volleyball players struggle with life. Volleyball fans are one of the reason. They refuse to take change.

On 10 June 2018, the new ranking system was approved by the FIFA Council. It is based on the Elo rating system and after each game points will be added to or subtracted from a team's rating according to the formula:

{\displaystyle P=P_{\text{before}}+I(W-W_{e})}{\displaystyle P=P_{\text{before}}+I(W-W_{e})}

where:

• Pbefore – the team's number of points before the game
    • I – the importance coefficient:
      • 05 – friendlies played outside the International Match Calendar windows
      • 10 – friendlies played within the International Match Calendar windows
      • 15 – Nations League matches (group stage)
      • 25 – Nations League matches (play-offs and finals), Confederations' final competitions qualifiers, FIFA World Cup qualifiers
      • 35 – Confederations' final competitions matches (before quarter-finals)
      • 40 – Confederations' final competitions matches (quarter-finals and later)
      • 50 – FIFA World Cup matches (before quarter-finals)
      • 60 – FIFA World Cup matches (quarter-finals, semi-finals, third place play-off and final)

• you dont think teams/federations/confederations having the possibility to tamper with rankings is not a problem/not messy?

(this is getting off topic, sorry)

FIVB copies the system from football aka called soccer in USA. Do you see football has a problem? People around the world enjoy football friendly matches. The sponsors are giving millions of millions for friendly matches. Football players are well paid! But volleyball fans are talking about giving some world ranking points to friendly matches will create messiness.

• The others confederations should create a League as CEV did.

We dont need great teams playing against weak teams in Qualys.

Some continental competition for lower tier teams should bê a great improvement imo.

As someone mentioned here. With this New VNLs formato some teams can bê add. If the número of teams is a problem.

• Ppl talking about China and forgetting Bulgaria :gone:

• I Just want 2 pools of 6 teams in Olympics back.. please :sos:

• Of course I will go back and say, how many of these federations are financially stable?

I mean Kenya's women had to get Serbia to pay for them to get to this year's world champs, and Kenya has been a long-term success in Africa.

FIVB tried expanding the World Grand Prix/World League to lower levels for a promotion/relegation, but for the lower ranked teams at that time, it was an expense that did not bring enough revenue for the individual federations.

With the cost of fuel right now for airplane travel, it is just hard to have multiple international trips in your federation's budget for many of these smaller federations.

• FIVB tried expanding the World Grand Prix/World League to lower levels for a promotion/relegation, but for the lower ranked teams at that time, it was an expense that did not bring enough revenue for the individual federations.

... with lack of interest from anyone. Like I said in the other thread, if we assume some idealistic scenario of major volleyball's development, in order to develop, volleyball needs some 'assistance program' (eg. in Africa) from FIVB/other source both financially and training-wise (and I mean neutral, not some neocolonial stuff, lol). We've seen such stuff historically in Cuba were due to people-to-people exchange with the Soviet Union, Cuba has become a powerhouse in sports in which they have natural advantages (boxing or volleyball), so it's not surreal to imagine. But it won't happen in a closer period of time, FIVB or, for example, African countries, and volleyball in general, lack funds to afford such stuff. In Europe we're witnessing development of new strong teams and leagues constantly, because this interconnectedness and financial capabilities are much bigger. You can create really great team like Slovenia with huge popularity of volleyball with minor population and without special chances.

That's the clue, not some ranking points or VNL expansion.

-----------

Slovenia will have the easiest path to WCH semifinal that I have ever seen, lol, 2x Germany, Cameroon and the Netherlands, this tournament formula is so bizarre.

• Why is the annual Pan American Cup counted towards world ranking but not the biennial Asian Cup, given that both tournaments are organized by Continental Confederations? So the fact that the Asian Cup is biennial but not annual is the stupid dealbreaker?

• Why is the annual Pan American Cup counted towards world ranking but not the biennial Asian Cup, given that both tournaments are organized by Continental Confederations? So the fact that the Asian Cup is biennial but not annual is the stupid dealbreaker?

Yes. the rules state the competitions must be annual.

It's to prevent someone from creating a tournament for a year to game the system.

AVC Cup should receive points next year (someone said they're moving it to annual)

• Financial power to build a strong national team is one of the factors. More importantly, volleyball is a very physically demanding sport, even more than soccer; height and power are the more important factors than skills. In addition, FIVB is dominated by European countries. Their rule change over the years further amplifies European teams’ dominance of the sport, from libero to ball pressure. Asian teams like Thailand, Vietnam or Indonesia could be more skillful than many European teams, but they wouldn’t have a chance to shine at the world stage because the physical disadvantage is too huge. I doubt financial or personnel assistance could help develop these teams to become competitive at the world level, unless there’re significant rule changes to restore balance to favor players with good skills.

• Yes. the rules state the competitions must be annual.

It's to prevent someone from creating a tournament for a year to game the system.

AVC Cup should receive points next year (someone said they're moving it to annual)

this rule is really stupid. AVC is organized by a continental confederation, and it has a regular cadence.

• It's also to ensure teams are playing regularly.

With the AVC Cup only being biannual, the non-VNL AVC teams don't have any competitions right?

AVC is not the only tournament in Asia. You can’t have every world-ranking tournament an annual event given a highly jammed calendar.

• Asian Championships? Asian Games? I still don’t see a biennial cadence for AVC a problem and a justification for it not being counted towards world ranking. It’s organized in even years for a reason.

Looking at Pan American Cup, the strongest teams in the region don’t send their A teams to the competition. This is fine, but relative to each continent/region, the Pan American Cup is on par with the AVC, being treated as a second-tier event by the strong teams. But one is counted towards WR, and the other is not.

• Asian Championships? Asian Games? I still don’t see a biennial cadence for AVC a problem and a justification for it not being counted towards world ranking. It’s organized in even years for a reason.

Looking at Pan American Cup, the strongest teams in the region don’t send their A teams to the competition. This is fine, but relative to each continent/region, the Pan American Cup is on par with the AVC, being treated as a second-tier event by the strong teams. But one is counted towards WR, and the other is not.

Aren't the asian championships the same as the continental championships? Cause those dont happen every year.

Asian Games aren't a volleyball event. Same reason why the Pan-American Games dont count towards the rankings.

edit: this conversation isnt going anywhere and doesnt belong in this thread. adios lol