2022 FIVB World Championship - POL/SLO

• At the next stage what are the rules for pool composition?

• It's a good pool for Argentina but iranians probably think the same.

Getting first place in this pool is ABSOLUTELY necessary. Otherwise, a horror 2nd round pool with FRA & ITA awaits the runner up...

• Pool J doesn't make sense...they are going to have two #1s and the best 3rd...and Pool G will have two #2s and the fourth 3rd... was this a draw ?

• Pool J doesn't make sense...they are going to have two #1s and the best 3rd...and Pool G will have two #2s and the fourth 3rd... was this a draw ?

No, it was presented before the draw started, therefore, it was made up by FIVB.

Obviously they are giving Russia a clean path... even with a failsafe in case they don't win the first pool (they would go to the other 2nd round pool with just 1 round one pool winner lol).

serpentine system

they considered A1 as seed 1 and they continued like that

• serpentine system

they considered A1 as seed 1 and they continued like that

Got it, thanks! Still, it looks weird lol

• ohhh right I didn't realize.

Again FIVB's obssession with giving seed 1 to hosts strikes....

also FIVB's obsession with round robin system round after round, and FIVB's obsession with changing the competition formula.

Why does FIVB always prefer to have round robin instead of QF? The only reason I can think of is to minimize the occurrence of surprise victories from the underdogs.

• also FIVB's obsession with round robin system round after round, and FIVB's obsession with changing the competition formula.

Why does FIVB always prefer to have round robin instead of QF? The only reason I can think of is to minimize the occurrence of surprise victories from the underdogs.

I think it's just to have more games between top teams.

Even though 3rd round has 6 teams, it's 6 matches. More than the 4 you have with QFs.

• Knockout phases are more fun! That's what we all love about OG quarterfinals! With this system, a team become 3rd best doesn't have any realistic chance to go to top 6🤦

• Knockout phases are more fun! That's what we all love about OG quarterfinals! With this system, a team become 3rd best doesn't have any realistic chance to go to top 6🤦

Exactly. I think the FIVB is after the box office and future funding from the powerhouses more -- top teams have a higher chance to survive a round-robin system rather than one-off knockout matches.

• main reason second round is as follows. This is a 3 week long tournament (men or women). If the first round is shortened, in this case 6 groups of 4, teams would only play 3 matches in the first round, before a quarterfinal. Plus matches are being played everyday.

The extended rounds force more matches against better teams and hopefully better matches for fans and third rounds matches basically are win and you are in the semifinals and lose and possibly you are out.

• with the Russian invasion of the Ukraine, we already see that UEFA is being asked to move the Champions League final out of Russia.

With the Men’s World Championships being hosted for 3 weeks, I can see this potentially having to move. With the doping penalties, this should have never been given to Russia to begin with.