USA NCAA Men's Volleyball 2019 (DI-II)

• Hi, guys! Thoughts on this year's teams? I think the championship is BYU's to take this year, but Lewis is a strong contender too. The other top teams like LBSU, UCLA, and UH look too "crippled" to me. I do wonder what UCLA would be like if Gyimah were moved to the opposite spot. I mean, he's so good I don't think he should ever leave the court. LOL. My favorite team so far, though, is Santa Barbara. The way they played against BYU about four weeks ago reminded me of Japanese teams. They were short, but, oh man, they were super fast and athletic. My heart just broke when they lost the fifth set in the second game. Loved their defense too!

• Hi, guys! Thoughts on this year's teams? I think the championship is BYU's to take this year, but Lewis is a strong contender too. The other top teams like LBSU, UCLA, and UH look too "crippled" to me. I do wonder what UCLA would be like if Gyimah were moved to the opposite spot. I mean, he's so good I don't think he should ever leave the court. LOL. My favorite team so far, though, is Santa Barbara. The way they played against BYU about four weeks ago reminded me of Japanese teams. They were short, but, oh man, they were super fast and athletic. My heart just broke when they lost the fifth set in the second game. Loved their defense too!

Hawaii and BYU are the clear favorites. Rado, Cowell and Gasman all seem to be even better than last year.

UCLA tried Gyimah at opposite last year but that didn't really work. I like what they did with him last match against USC.

I really like the Gauchos, too! They are a bit undersized, but as you said, great backrow and ball control. I am rooting for them this season!

• i tried watching clips of BYUs games and they're not that impressive. Not a fan of UH this year especially when they went with Sheward, i still prefer Thelle.

• Hawaii and BYU are the clear favorites. Rado, Cowell and Gasman all seem to be even better than last year.

UCLA tried Gyimah at opposite last year but that didn't really work. I like what they did with him last match against USC.

I really like the Gauchos, too! They are a bit undersized, but as you said, great backrow and ball control. I am rooting for them this season!

Really? Here I thought Gyimah was born to be opposite. LOL. I've got to see those matches. All I was able to see were games where they played 6-2. I do remember seeing them do 5-1 with Ratray mostly as opposite, but he seemed to be hurting.

Cowell is great, but when he had to sit out a few matches, they struggled to find a suitable replacement for him. Even Humler hasn't been as reliable. I've always loved Gasman. I hope he makes it to the national team. As a whole, though, they are still much better than many other teams.

Yeah! Gauchos all the way! I'll be rooting for them too.

• Did you guys catch the BYU-Hawai'i matches? The second game was just crazy. After winning the third set, Hawai'i used the 90's style setter-middle-outside-hitter server sequence in the fourth set. Intentional or not, I think it was enough to rattle BYU, though it almost backfired as Hawai'i was called at least three rotation faults.

To me, the two matches proved that BYU is the team to beat.

• Did you guys catch the BYU-Hawai'i matches? The second game was just crazy. After winning the third set, Hawai'i used the 90's style setter-middle-outside-hitter server sequence in the fourth set. Intentional or not, I think it was enough to rattle BYU, though it almost backfired as Hawai'i was called at least three rotation faults.

To me, the two matches proved that BYU is the team to beat.

BYU is really the team to beat. It was the coach’s inability to do a counter shuffle of rotation against Hawaii that’s why they lost.

The only USA NT material in both Hawaii and BYU lineups is Gasman.

• BYU is really the team to beat. It was the coach’s inability to do a counter shuffle of rotation against Hawaii that’s why they lost.

The only USA NT material in both Hawaii and BYU lineups is Gasman.

Is there a limit to how much foreign players a team can have?

Comparing the top 3 ranked teams (BYU, Hawaii, UCSB).

BYU: Gabi Garcia F. (Puerto Rico), Davide G. (Italy), Miki J. (Finland), Felipe de Brito F. (Brazil)

Hawaii: Rado P. (Bulgaria), Filip H. (Czech Republic), Guilherme V. (Brazil), Jakob T. (Norway), Dimitrios M. (Greece)

UCSB: Haotian Xia (China)

Gasman does have the most potential.

• I think that the season at this point is going to be suspended. BYU announced today that all events on campus will be closed to the public.

Stanford is playing them tomorrow (13th) in an empty arena.

Harvard and Princeton in EIVA have cancelled the rest of their volleyball seasons (let alone all other sports).

• UH is my no. 1

BYU defeated a Sheward-led UH.

• I was wondering if the guys may have a new year of elegibility because of the season cancelled (a special redshirt or something like that for this season). Any idea brahmin ?

No clue at this point, the NCAA sometimes is really dumb on giving additional years (or not giving). Also this could possibly affect the number of scholarships a team can offer (teams are only allowed so many of them in a given year). If players are kept on for the next year.

Just have to wait an see.

• I was wondering if the guys may have a new year of elegibility because of the season cancelled (a special redshirt or something like that for this season).

Looks like it may actually happen. https://www.espn.com/college-s…hletes-eligibility-relief

Though I'm certain not every senior would want to stay and play another year. Some would rather move on and go into a career they studied for and for those that have potential, possibly go pro.