2022 FIVB Women's World Championships - Netherlands and Poland

• All in all, I think the Top 4 are most what we all predict. USA as flop as they are, still managed to get a chance to fight for bronze. I personally thought it is gonna be Serbia VS Italy for the gold and USA VS Brazil for the bronze. I am so glad I was wrong.

I love Serbia and I love10x Tijana. But I love Brazil, Gabi, Carol, and Roberta even more. Hope they can get that elusive gold medal this time.

• I still remember some Polish fans didn't like Lavarini during VNL.

There are still many people on polish forums claiming he's bad coach. And there are still people claiming previous coach was great and he proved that during Tokyo qualification tournament in 2020

• Such an exciting final! Do you guys think brazil will manage to perform the same blocking-wise against serbia? Serbias setter is alot better than the italian one so it will be harder to read. However, Serbia relies on powerful spikes and doesn't have as fast system as Japan or USA which Brazil usually struggles the most to block.

• I think that this will be a close match with Serbia and Brazil.

Boskovic will get a ton of sets of course, and she is at an advantage over Lorenne.

Setter is probably about even and also he middles about the same.

outsides are where Brazil has an edge with Gabi when compared to Busa.

I think the Rosamaria/Daroit/Branicka/Lozo/Pusic battle on serve receive and scoring is what will determine the win.

if Boskovic goes for 40, it means the rest of the team for Serbia had to sacrifice for her for them to win. Brazil is probably more balanced, bar Gabi getting 20-25. In this scenario, Brazil loses in 5, due to Boskovic carrying them over the line. If Boskovic is only in the 20s, Serbia need the middles to deliver otherwise Brazil should win.

If the middles don’t score or block as much for either team, it will be an advantage for the other team.

• When it comes to my previous comments on Italian coaches failing, you can't just say "oh he reached to semi-finals, is it bad?". You need to compare with what is expected from that team.

When it comes to Mazzanti for example, Italy was one of the clear favorites of this tournament, losing to Brazil and playing 3/4 place does not make him good, actually bad. More importantly, when you look at his influence in the match, it was almost "0". He just stood and watched.

Lavarini did beyond expectations, but there is a lot to criticise with him too. For example why did he keep Korneliuk in the semi-final match, when other two MBs helped to turn the match? Last receiving error was because Korneliuk was shadowing the receiver for example.

Giovanni is another case, compared to other Italian coaches, his A plan failed bad and he preferred to stand and watch than actually establishing a solid B plan.

I would say Santarelli is different, but remember that so far we only saw his A plan and it is very well designed and working good. In CL finals, he chocked when his A plan did not function well either. So I am curious if he will come up with good solutions if Brazil leads 2-0 in the finals for example.

To me that's what makes a coach good, living the match and making right moves during the match. Italians study their lesson hard but they stick to the book. What Ze did in quarters and semis is incredible and a perfect example of what good coaching is.

• 100% agree!

• I’m sorry but sometimes people put too much on the coach. The coach can’t go out there and play. Like sometimes teams are just going to lose and that’s okay. Coaches can only do so much

• I’m sorry but sometimes people put too much on the coach. The coach can’t go out there and play. Like sometimes teams are just going to lose and that’s okay. Coaches can only do so much

That's what Italian coaches think. If they were training Brazil, I am sure they would watch Pri Daroit to "go out there and play". If girls are expected to make the changes on the court by themselves, then we should not have any coaches on the side line, they should just lead trainings, like instructors.

• This was discussed actually in the podcast by Dijkema &co. There is (or used to be) a 'camp Bosetti' and 'camp Egonu' within the Italian team. Nowadays it isn't as bad as it used to be, but up until a few years ago there was lots of drama in the team. The composition of the camps changed from time to time also

Robin had some nice insights on that in the podcast

The podcast is in Dutch, right? I was curious on what Robin had to say 😂 you can tell there were two different groups (and probably Lucia was also part of it when Caterina was injured), in 2018 Egonu was about to leave the NT, then Pietrini and Caterina not being called in 2019, then Caterina out of the roster in 2020. It does seem better after covid tho

• I read on Twitter that Italy’s media is attacking Egonu for the defeat? Is it true? The poor girl scored 30 points and they still mad at her?

It is. Main reason is the number of errors and the errors in clutch moments (end of first and third set). A usual they are blaming all on her because she is the main player. They are definitely exaggerating but their points are valid: if you score 30 points but have 15 errors and you go into the crowds with clutch spikes there is clearly a problem. She is evidently not the only responsible but media only know her and go all out on her

• It is. Main reason is the number of errors and the errors in clutch moments (end of first and third set). A usual they are blaming all on her because she is the main player. They are definitely exaggerating but their points are valid: if you score 30 points but have 15 errors and you go into the crowds with clutch spikes there is clearly a problem. She is evidently not the only responsible but media only know her and go all out on her

Maybe italy should have more main players instead of blaming the one person who can kill a ball

• Basically. I sincerely doubt Piccinini ever had to deal with anything approaching such vitriol even though she was the face of Italian female volleyball for over a decade and the only one who was well-known in Italy even outside of volleyball fans.

• Tha same happened to Ortolani few times when some veterans refused to accept their responsabilities for some defeats. All blames on Serena. In fact, it was iconic when Italy lost to KYK in London and outcast Piccinini and Ortolani emerged like the real winners of the tournament for the team.

10 years later nothing changed.