CEV Cup 2019

• There was no discussion for the CEV Cup which enters its decisive rounds, so let's fix that.

Obviously, you have all noticed that Tirol Haching played both matches against Trentino in Italy. I had tickets for the return match in Unterhaching in the middle of January. Unfortunately, due to heavy snow conditions, the small sports hall in Unterhaching was considered unsafe as the roof was covered in excessive amounts of snow. The scheduled Bundesliga home match (the weekend before, I think against Netzhoppers or Giesen) and the European encounter with Trentino had to be postponed and played elsewhere. According to CEV regulations, visitors have to have access to the match gym 24h before the match and as this was not possible either in Unterhaching or due to travel complications in Innsbruck, the match was played at PalaTrento again. Pity indeed, would've been cool to see Lorenzetti's Trentino.

Despite the numerous problems they have been facing, Neftochimik 2010 reached a historic quarterfinal. Mostly because of luck and favorable draw, to be honest, for they don't have the class this year (neither last year) to be at that round. They struggled massively against Par-Ky Menen, taking the Golden Set maybe only because it was played at home, and then knocked out Viking Bergen from Norway. This is where their European story ends as they have a mountain to climb against Olympiacos.

• YavorD

Changed the title of the thread from “CEV CUP 2019” to “CEV Cup 2019”.
  • My guess is Trentino or Kuzbass will take the CEV Cup. Other teams look like not on the same level of these two.

• Trentino now has a live match on Eurovolley TV.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Kovacevic is still out but Van Garderen should be enough if no drama instills.

I'm not familiar with the opponents at their home.

The ceiling is really low and the venue is small but CEV made a decent tv view for this match.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Neftochimik with a win for the history books against Olympiacos at home! No idea how the match developed or what exactly happened to the Greeks, only read that the home side's determination decided the outcome. Realistically, the Burgas team now has more chances of winning the Golden Set than snatching 2 sets in Greece, but then again, who would've thought they would even make it this far!

• Trentino and Kuzbass with decisive steps towards an expected CEV Cup final. Trentino's attack and block performance didn't really give Olympiacos much of a chance. Giannelli with 7 stuff blocks alone, all spikers with insane efficiency, the "worst" of them was Kovacevic with "only" 59%!

• Olympiakos had no chance. I agree. They have a very good roster and I expected a little bit more from them, expecially at home.

The greek team is probably not used to be challenged at all, since they are in a strike in their league and no one can take a game from them.

Trentino's level is simply out of this world. Whenever Vettori is consistent, they're even better than Perugia.

• Olympiakos had no chance. I agree. They have a very good roster and I expected a little bit more from them, expecially at home.

The greek team is probably not used to be challenged at all, since they are in a strike in their league and no one can take a game from them.

Trentino's level is simply out of this world. Whenever Vettori is consistent, they're even better than Perugia.

I haven't watch the game but I was surprised at the history of these clubs against one another.

Olympiakos must've been a very good team a decade ago if they were able to play to Trento's level.

Too bad that they can't do it anymore.

#FreeBritney

• It would be really nice if Galatarasay take this to the golden set decider.

A tie break is not enough to force it. Kuzbass will advance if they win or lose.

The russian side is stronger but maybe the experience is showing as this is their first time in years to play in the european competition.

#FreeBritney

• If the information from CEV is correct about Kuzbass then this is their first european competition in their history. :white:

#FreeBritney

• Galatarasay have famous players from abroad. I know Antonov had a meh half season in Russia but he did well last year in Ziraat Bankasi. Duff as well. I thought he retired. lol

#FreeBritney

• Is the challenge system available in Turkey?

#FreeBritney

• I think the serve was inside for Kuzbass. :white:

#FreeBritney

• Yes,Burhan Felek (and all venues) has challenge system and use in league match.

Why aren't they using it here though?

#FreeBritney

• Kuzbass played horribly in the golden set. They just can not block Oliver.

What happened to Poletaev? One of his worst games in this season.

Congrats to Galatarasay.

• Congrats to Galatarasay but the lack of challenge system on this day and age makes the victory feel a little bit hollow especially during the semifinal. Simply unacceptable in my opinion.

It's just hard to be aggresive without it. Maybe it affected Kuzbass. Ofcourse there are other factors but for an inexperienced team, that could've been the most influential.

#FreeBritney

Edited once, last by Rains ().

• I don't know. Maybe it's not used because it's a CEV Cup match

They've used the challenge in Kemerovo for the first semifinal.

#FreeBritney