Korean NT 2019

• News Update:

• At the start of the year, Asian Volleyball Confederation (AVC) confirmed the '20th Asian Senior Women’s Volleyball Championship 2019' will be held in Seoul, South Korea in August 17-25th, 2019. This will be South Korea first time hosting the Asian Senior Women's Volleyball Championship since it inception 44 years ago. Sources: 1, 2, 3
    • FIVB confirmed the grouping of the new intercontinental qualification for 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games, which is to be held in August. The top 24 teams will be split in to 6 groups of 4 teams, with South Korea (9th) having been placed in Group E along with Russia (5th), Canada (18th) and Mexico (21st). Sources: 1, 2
    • Boryeong, South Korea will host the 5th round (June 18-20th, 2019) of the 2019 VNL. Source: 1

But the big news out of South Korea today is ...

• Korea Volleyball Association (KVA) today announced the appointment of Stefano Lavarini from Italy as the new head coach for the women national team (NT). Lavarini who is currently also the head coach of Brazilian women volleyball team Minas Tênis Clube become the first foreign volleyball head coach to lead the NT. Sources: 1, 2, 3
  • That's an odd choice considering the distance between Brazil and Korea but Lavarini is doing well in Minas. His result in CWC must have been a critical factor to his signing. I hope the physicality of Korean players get better under him. They have the height but they are not strong athletes. It'd be a waste if they only have one of the two. You need a strong body to take the next level sometimes and the mental aspect also strengthens along with it.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• News Update:

• The Korean media are reporting that Lavarini will coming to Korea on February 28th and stay until March 3rd. During Lavarini visit, he will watch 3 V-League matches, GS vs Hyundai on 1st, KGC vs Heungkuk on 2nd, and Expressway vs GS on 3rd. Sources: 1, 2

Rains Yeah I was not expecting a foreigner to be name as the Korean NT head coach either.

I think the Korean players a pretty strong, obviously not as strong as the Americans, Brazilians, or the Europeans, but still fairly strong. I thing the main problem is that a lot of the players are worn out after a 30 games regular season in their domestic league.

For me, I want to see Lavarini help improve the younger players techniques and decision making. However, I'm not sure if he has enough time to make effective changes.

• News Update:

• The results of the drawing for the groups at the 20th Asian Senior Women's Volleyball Championship was announced today. As previously mentioned the tournament will be held in Seoul, South Korea (August 17th-25th).

Group A Group B Group C Group D
      🇰🇷 Korea (Host/3) 🇯🇵 Japan (1) 🇹🇭 Thailand (2) 🇨🇳 China (4)
      🇮🇷 Iran (9) 🇰🇿 Kazakhstan (7) 🇹🇼 Chinese Taipei (6) 🇻🇳 Vietnam (5)
      🇸🇬 Singapore 🇦🇺 Australia 🇳🇿 New Zealand 🇮🇩 Indonesia
      🇮🇳 India 🇭🇰 Hong Kong 🇱🇰 Sri Lanka

Source: https://www.facebook.com/AsianVolleyballConfederation/photos/a.241422219396897/964598297079282/

• Why is china seeded as 4th?🤔

• Why is china seeded as 4th?🤔

Because China finished 4th in the 2017. They finished 4th because they sent a C-Team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…s_Volleyball_Championship

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…yball_Championship_squads

Below pappi provides the reason why they sent a C-Team.

Source: 2017 AVC Senior Women's Championship (Philippines/Manila, Aug 9-17, 2017)

What about Philippines?

Sorry I don't know for sure.

But under the section of 'Qualification' in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…s_Volleyball_Championship, I found this

"Philippines originally qualified, but declined to enter. The spot was reallocated to the next highest ranked nation, New Zealand.".

Hope that answer all your questions guys.

• Apparently the Philippines will have two Filipino Americans players( an OH and setter) in their rooster and that is why they don't want other south East Asian teams to scout them out before the SEA games later in December. That doesn't make sense to me, since it's not like Philippines is already a strong and balance team and then suddenly those two new players will help them dominate over everybody else.

You are ranked #117, why not use those opportunities to help develop your players further? Volleyball isn't an overnight success my dear.

edit: though what I think might be the problem is that they are lacking funds and or suffering from embarrassment issues. Their ex president of their federation was caught in a money stealing case not to long ago. So, since you already have all these issues going, why not try to make up some excuse to try and soften other's view of you?..even if that means to say you filed the application for those tournaments late and because of the two new players etc...

• I thought the same. The have big potential but looks like the federation doesn't know how to correctly spend the money.

The club volleyball in Philippines has a lot of supporters, good sponsor but national team is just a mess.

• Today, KVA announced that it selected KANG Seonghyung as the coach and KIM Seonghyun as a trainer of Korean women's national volleyball team.

Kang was the former head coach of KB and Korean men's youth national team. Kim participated in Korean women's national team as a coach in 2017 and he also assisted Kang as a coach at KB last year.

Their contract period will be from March 2019 to February 2020, and the contract can be extended if the national team goes to the Tokyo Olympics.

Because Kang is known for his good personality, Korean fans expect him to play a good role in connecting Lavarini with the players.

However, some fans say it would be better to pick another assistant coach additionally who knows each other well with the female players because Kang has worked only on the men's volleyball team and is not familiar with the female volleyball players.

• Apparently the Philippines will have two Filipino Americans players( an OH and setter) in their rooster and that is why they don't want other south East Asian teams to scout them out before the SEA games later in December. That doesn't make sense to me, since it's not like Philippines is already a strong and balance team and then suddenly those two new players will help them dominate over everybody else.

You are ranked #117, why not use those opportunities to help develop your players further? Volleyball isn't an overnight success my dear.

edit: though what I think might be the problem is that they are lacking funds and or suffering from embarrassment issues. Their ex president of their federation was caught in a money stealing case not to long ago. So, since you already have all these issues going, why not try to make up some excuse to try and soften other's view of you?..even if that means to say you filed the application for those tournaments late and because of the two new players etc...

Sorry to go off topic on the Korean NT thread, but who is the filipino American setter on the roster? If I'm correct, I think I know who the OH is, she's from Hawaii I think.

• The OH is Kalei Mau and the setter is Alohi Robins Hardy. Both are from Hawaii and are childhood friends. I don't know too much about them, but have seen some clips of their plays and, while they have the height(6'1" and 2") and strength, I think they are just ok and not anything that the other teams can't handle. sorry for going off topic as well....

Sorry to go off topic on the Korean NT thread, but who is the filipino American setter on the roster? If I'm correct, I think I know who the OH is, she's from Hawaii I think.

• Getting back to topic.

Stefano Lavarini arrived in Korea on Thursday (Feb. 28th). Some video coverages of his arrival and press conference.

Lavarini at yesterday GS vs Hyundai game

Posted by anoniminona12 in the Sth. Korean Women's V-League thread

• Off topic: The main reason Philippines is not able to produce a good national team is bcoz of politics. There is a dispute between the Philippine volleyball federation and the philippine olympic committee. And aside from that coaches are having personal agenda whenever they are chosen to represent the philippines in competitions like bringing their own club players as part of the national team.

Its sad really since there are a lot of good local players.

• Curious to see if Laravini will be able to find a few younger talents with his short term contract? Besides, KYK, there's not anybody that really stands out from the Korean NT. Both Lee Jaeyeong and Park Jeong Ah are still younger and while are good players, I don't think they will be able to keep Korea at the top 10 volleyball teams once KYK retires(if she does after 2020).

• Has KYK said anything about her goals when she does finally decide to retire? Coach, pursue education, start a family(btw is she dating anyone), sports analyst, actor, etc?

• Has KYK said anything about her goals when she does finally decide to retire? Coach, pursue education, start a family(btw is she dating anyone), sports analyst, actor, etc?

I thinks she's planning to be a coach starting from her own sport academy. I knew this from Korean TV show. And she's dreaming to be South Korea NT coach