Korean NT 2019

• News Update:

• At the start of the year, Asian Volleyball Confederation (AVC) confirmed the '20th Asian Senior Women’s Volleyball Championship 2019' will be held in Seoul, South Korea in August 17-25th, 2019. This will be South Korea first time hosting the Asian Senior Women's Volleyball Championship since it inception 44 years ago. Sources: 1, 2, 3
    • FIVB confirmed the grouping of the new intercontinental qualification for 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games, which is to be held in August. The top 24 teams will be split in to 6 groups of 4 teams, with South Korea (9th) having been placed in Group E along with Russia (5th), Canada (18th) and Mexico (21st). Sources: 1, 2
    • Boryeong, South Korea will host the 5th round (June 18-20th, 2019) of the 2019 VNL. Source: 1

But the big news out of South Korea today is ...

• Korea Volleyball Association (KVA) today announced the appointment of Stefano Lavarini from Italy as the new head coach for the women national team (NT). Lavarini who is currently also the head coach of Brazilian women volleyball team Minas Tênis Clube become the first foreign volleyball head coach to lead the NT. Sources: 1, 2, 3
  • That's an odd choice considering the distance between Brazil and Korea but Lavarini is doing well in Minas. His result in CWC must have been a critical factor to his signing. I hope the physicality of Korean players get better under him. They have the height but they are not strong athletes. It'd be a waste if they only have one of the two. You need a strong body to take the next level sometimes and the mental aspect also strengthens along with it.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

• News Update:

• The Korean media are reporting that Lavarini will coming to Korea on February 28th and stay until March 3rd. During Lavarini visit, he will watch 3 V-League matches, GS vs Hyundai on 1st, KGC vs Heungkuk on 2nd, and Expressway vs GS on 3rd. Sources: 1, 2

Rains Yeah I was not expecting a foreigner to be name as the Korean NT head coach either.

I think the Korean players a pretty strong, obviously not as strong as the Americans, Brazilians, or the Europeans, but still fairly strong. I thing the main problem is that a lot of the players are worn out after a 30 games regular season in their domestic league.

For me, I want to see Lavarini help improve the younger players techniques and decision making. However, I'm not sure if he has enough time to make effective changes.

• News Update:

• The results of the drawing for the groups at the 20th Asian Senior Women's Volleyball Championship was announced today. As previously mentioned the tournament will be held in Seoul, South Korea (August 17th-25th).

Group A Group B Group C Group D
      🇰🇷 Korea (Host/3) 🇯🇵 Japan (1) 🇹🇭 Thailand (2) 🇨🇳 China (4)
      🇮🇷 Iran (9) 🇰🇿 Kazakhstan (7) 🇹🇼 Chinese Taipei (6) 🇻🇳 Vietnam (5)
      🇸🇬 Singapore 🇦🇺 Australia 🇳🇿 New Zealand 🇮🇩 Indonesia
      🇮🇳 India 🇭🇰 Hong Kong 🇱🇰 Sri Lanka

Source: https://www.facebook.com/AsianVolleyballConfederation/photos/a.241422219396897/964598297079282/

• Why is china seeded as 4th?🤔

Because China finished 4th in the 2017. They finished 4th because they sent a C-Team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…s_Volleyball_Championship

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…yball_Championship_squads

Below pappi provides the reason why they sent a C-Team.

Source: 2017 AVC Senior Women's Championship (Philippines/Manila, Aug 9-17, 2017)

What about Philippines?

Sorry I don't know for sure.

But under the section of 'Qualification' in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…s_Volleyball_Championship, I found this

"Philippines originally qualified, but declined to enter. The spot was reallocated to the next highest ranked nation, New Zealand.".

Hope that answer all your questions guys.