Free Ball - The Volleyball Podcast.

• Lonneke Sloëtjes was in the fifth episode of the volleyball podcast. She is such an honest, sweet and smart girl!:flower:

Her dream team would be:

S: Maja Ognjenovic/ Naz (she couldn't choose between those 2)

OPP: Tijana Boskovic

OH: Zhu Ting and Kelsey Robinson

MB: Milena Rasic and Robin de Kruijf

L: Monica De Genarro

I think it would be a real good team:super:

• I am loving these podcasts! Great insights to players:heart: It is very humble of her that she picked Boskoviç as Opp for her dream team instead of herself.

• I tried to listen to some of this to hear about any Japan juice. I think it came down to Japan asking him to give up on his other activities and commit 100% to the Olympics with Japan. He was excited about coaching an Olympic team but decided, no. Things might be different if he was 65 instead of 35 (or however young he is)

He also talked about differing workout styles. He liked that Japan were tireless and disciplined--that they practice for hours and hours without complaint, whereas Euros get bored after an hour or so on court. He didn't like that the Japanese work a LOT on individual needs. He also commented (like many do) that the Japanese never get emotional, angry, frustrated, like Europeans.

I couldn't understand all of what he said about being an assistant coach, but he did say he'd never do it again--although he had quite a bit of freedom and authority with Japan--more than one would usually expect as an assistant.

He found the Japanese to be really good players but they need to find taller people ... :aww:

His dream team is Zhu, Kim, Bosko, a couple old timer MBs whose names I couldn't catch, rounded out by, in his opinion, the best Libero in the world -- Kotoe Inoue. He mentioned she and Tashiro, who play for his club team, don't speak English, which spoils my theory that Kotoe was the glue for Brankica in JT, and that's why Brankica seems so distant and removed this year (since Kotoe isn't there).

• His dream team is Zhu, Kim, Bosko, a couple old timer MBs whose names I couldn't catch, rounded out by, in his opinion, the best Libero in the world -- Kotoe Inoue.

The MBs were Milena Rasic and Maja Poljak.

I just realised that the English guy on this podcast is that FIVB commentator. I quite like the podcast but I hope he improves his pronunciation of certain players names if he interviews them. Imagine how awkward it would be if he interviewed Chirichella and was calling her “Kritchiella” the whole time like he did during the WCH. :rolll:

• The MBs were Milena Rasic and Maja Poljak.

Ah, thanks. I wouldn't think of those as old timers. I just heard the guy say "players from different generations" (or something like that) and read more into it than was appropriate. Rasic, of course, is atop the MB chain, and I've always liked Maja because I don't like her as an opponent. Kind of scary.=O

How do you pronounce Chirichella?

I just realised that the English guy on this podcast is that FIVB commentator. I quite like the podcast but I hope he improves his pronunciation of certain players names if he interviews them. Imagine how awkward it would be if he interviewed Chirichella and was calling her “Kritchiella” the whole time like he did during the WCH. :rolll:

OMG, I didn’t know he was that FIVB commentator, he sounded familiar but I didn’t expect him to be that guy.

Regarding Ferhat, I really do not like him and I found it hard to listen to him all at once so I had to stop from time to time, his English wasn’t that good by the way, a lot of our players and staff do not speak English very well, even though they studied in good schools thanks to their clubs and they have so much chance to practice in the club as well.

Anyway, I really like the podcast so I hope they will keep doing it.

• How do you pronounce Chirichella?

I’m no expert but pretty much Ki-ri-kella. This guy puts the R in the wrong place and turns the second ch (but not the first) into ch like in “children.”

• I’m no expert but pretty much Ki-ri-kella. This guy puts the R in the wrong place and turns the second ch (but not the first) into ch like in “children.”

That's about what I thought. Some of these mis-pro-nounce-iations may be reading errors, like the guy who kept calling Koyomi Tominaga ... Toe-ming-ga. Drove me crazy ... Although, what do I know :rolll:

• Regarding Ferhat, ... hard to listen to him

Gawd yeah, One thing that killed me was his "ahhhhh" or "uhhhh" (as ESL speakers utilize from time to time to find the right words) sounded like a really long burp <X :P

• I just listened to the one with Tijana and Lonneke. I'm not sure if I will listen to Ferhat lol I already don't like him and Sitenoise has a good looking summary of it already.

I have to say Tijana changed a little over time! (Not in a bad way) she used to seem a little introverted and very shy to me before but I can tell she's way more comfortable these days when being interviewed, its nice to see her evolving both as a human and a volleyball player! Other then that she seems very humble and like a lovely young lady.

About Lonneke I don't understand why some people get the impression she might be a tough girl :D I mean yes she is an amazing player. But her personality is everything I expected + more. She is so sweet and so down to earth. She seems like she'd be great company and an an amazing genuine friend.

Great podcast, I hope they interview many more players. All dream-teams so far seem great, obviously as they also said, its not an easy choice and many great players will be left out...

• About Lonneke I don't understand why some people get the impression she might be a tough girl :D I mean yes she is an amazing player. But her personality is everything I expected + more. She is so sweet and so down to earth. She seems like she'd be great company and an an amazing genuine friend.

Lonneke is a template for what I call a likeable person face. No agendas behind it. And yeah, listening to her: simply adorable.

I, of course, don't like Ferhat either, so it was a tough listen (what with the burping all the time lol). He did talk a bit about Turkey, and a bit more about China--in case you are interested

You are correct that is him. He`s a nice guy. I actually sent him some feedback on Facebook and he was very nice about it and he appreciates feedback. I have messaged a different commentator before and I don`t think he liked it.

But to be fair I think it is very hard to get right a lot of names. For example while watching Seria A I have probably heard already a couple of different version of Bujis... and some announcers calls Haak something like Hawk? I`m not sure if that is the correct way....but during the final 4 I think I was hearing something like Hook??....I think it is funny "Kritchiella? ....one of them also says "BriKio...:lol:

sitenoise I have not listened to Ferhat yet...but I will very soon when I have some time.

• You are correct that is him. He`s a nice guy. I actually sent him some feedback on Facebook and he was very nice about it and he appreciates feedback. I have messaged a different commentator before and I don`t think he liked it.

But to be fair I think it is very hard to get right a lot of names. For example while watching Seria A I have probably heard already a couple of different version of Bujis... and some announcers calls Haak something like Hawk? I`m not sure if that is the correct way....but during the final 4 I think I was hearing something like Hook??....I think it is funny "Kritchiella? ....one of them also says "BriKio...:lol:

Yeah I don't really have a problem with the guy, I'm sure he's just doing his best and there are some names that I would struggle with as well of course. It's just when commentators make a really bad job of a name that it annoys me but like you said, it's funny - no big deal.

Credit (and good luck) to him for the podcast anyway. :thumbup:

• pope  Sisko ... FWIW, messaging these guys (if you can, and they don't mind) can produce results. Someone got Clayton Lucas to go with Erika A-ra-kee instead of Ara-kigh (hope that's correct, lol) during some tournament, and more importantly I got him to dial back the volume of the PA announcer compared to his commentary.

• Hey guys!!!

Firstly - Thanks pope for your posts, they are sacred and holy to us and we appreciate having as disciple as angelic :saint: as you.

Secondly to everyone thanks for following the podcast and please share it around. We are working hard to try and provide these interviews and guests for you, so we can grow the game. I feel very lucky to be able to talk about the game I coach ad love so wanted to give something back. Cam is a great host and John is great at producing the pods but we are doing alongside our jobs. So listens and treads like this make it worth while.

This thread has made me smile and we will be reading some of your posts out in future episodes...... I will keep working on pronunciations.... especially Chirichella.... I will be haunted by that one for the rest of my life!

Please follow us on Insta @freeballpod and listen in!!

• This thread has made me smile and we will be reading some of your posts out in future episodes...... I will keep working on pronunciations.... especially Chirichella.... I will be haunted by that one for the rest of my life!

Haha, don't worry about it! As I said, I'm sure you're doing your best.

I have been listening to and enjoying the podcast so keep up the good work, good to hear you're taking on board criticism but don't let my nitpicking worry you too much. :lol: