Russian NT 2019

• Starting this thread with the announcement that Russian head coach Shlyapnikov (now former) was proposed to resign by the federation to take up a bigger role in preparation for World Championship 2022 to be held in Russia. What do you guys think was he actually fired and this was a way to save face? Possible candidates to replace him are the two Zenit coaches - Vladimir Alekno and Alexander Klimkin but I think the former will mark his return to NT.

Source: https://translate.google.com/t…ww.volley.ru/&prev=search

• Russia has...

-VNL

-European championship

-World Cup

-OQT

So... I think that Russia needs to find new volleyball players (specially OH) because his principal players won't have a lot of energy for all of these competitions.

There're many players with potential. For example, Fedor Voronkov (2.05, 23 y-o, OH), Denis Bogdan (2.00, 22 y-o, OH), Ivan Yakovlev (2.07, 23 y-o, MB), etc.

Berezkho, Karpukov and Rodichev aren't the best options.

• inc0gnito, thank you for creating the thread !

About OH position, Volkov-Kliuka duo must be the starters.

Watching Russian league, I think Berezhko still be good option for NT, especially for back row defense. If he stays healthy (This is most important thing for him! ) , I would pick him.

Other candidates will be Voronkov, Podlesnykh and Ursov IMHO.

I hope Anton Semyshev & Pavel Tetyukhin also grab the NT spots someday:) (I understand this won't happen this season.)

By the way, I have a question about Camejo Oreol.

Does he hope to play Russian NT ?

If so, since when he could play for NT ?

• Yes, he hopes to play for Russia since 2020 (he will be enabled in this year). But I don't know if Russia has another nationalized player (probably Musersky?)... In this case I prefer Dmitry.

• Yes, he hopes to play for Russia since 2020 (he will be enabled in this year). But I don't know if Russia has another nationalized player (probably Musersky?)... In this case I prefer Dmitry.

Thank you for the answer!

Muserskiy isn't counted as a nationalized player because he only played for Ukraine youth NT (same as Kliuka).

Camejo, Butko and Bakun can't play together.

• So for 2019, I don't think Russia will be inviting a lot of new names to NT (maybe one or two) seeing this is such an important year leading to the Olympics, the recent failure at the WCH notwithstanding.

For OH, Volkov-Kliuka duo is a no-brainer, as these two guys are mainly responsible for making Fakel compete with the bigger teams and I agree with Ryu Takamiya Berezkho is still a good candidate for NT but he only needs to play in the most important competitions (ECH, WC) and VNL is the perfect tournament to invite the youngsters Bogdan, Semsyshev, etc. if the new head coach allows. Re Camejo, I think he is over his 30s and I don't think the OH problems of the team will be solved by him as he is not exactly known to be a defensive OH. I think a better addition to the team if ever he gets called is Podlesnykh.

I read a recent interview with Muserskiy, and it seems he is willing to participate and defend their crown in VNL this year. Volvich and Kurkaev will be vying for the 2nd MB slot. I think they should invite Philippov back from VNL last year, he has a pretty wicked float serve (Bye Vlasov, you will not be missed).

Mikhaylov will always be titular as long as he is healthy, but he's not so young anymore maybe he can skip VNL this year and let Poletaev be the team's main opp for 1 WHOLE tournament. Also add Shkulyavichus to this list.

If Alekno will return to NT, we will definitely see Butko reprise his role as the team's main setter. As much as I like Grankin, I don't think we will see much of him this year or maybe even next year. Kovalav should definitely be the other setter and the team's main setter if Butko decides to skip some tournaments. Pankov is still a question mark for me as he always gets injured when NT season starts. Kobzar is also a good candidate but is a class below Kovalev in my opinion.

And lastly, no need to experiment on Libero positions. Verbov titular! Kabeshov and Martynyuk are the next best candidates.

So really, it's the same faces from last year give or take a few. I think Russia will need to re-learn what made them so victorious in VNL and know what factors caused the failure at WCH.

• Thank you for the answer!

Muserskiy isn't counted as a nationalized player because he only played for Ukraine youth NT (same as Kliuka).

Camejo, Butko and Bakun can't play together.

So... Thank you Butko. Welcome Camejo! If he won't work as OH, he could be the another opposite of Russia.

Exactly! Poletaev needs to play as the main opp in VNL

About Berezkho, I love him, but he isn't in good level. Russia needs new options (because Kliuka and Volkov will not have a lot of energy for all of these competitions)... Voronkov could be one of them. He has a great season with his club (Nova). Another option is Bogdan. He plays in Fakel. If they won't play well in VNL, Berezkho must be the principal reserve.

If Verbov doesn't want to play for Russia... Obmochaev should be called.

• (Bye Vlasov, you will not be missed).

For the first time I watched this, I had no doubt he will become next Muserskiy and he will lead NT for next 10 years:aww:

It seems that his transfer to Moscow isn't success so far, especially after Nova's MB came to (and is he injured now? I don't see his name on the stats lately).

I hope he improves that amateur service at least. This is the worst element for him compared to another Russian MBs.

• For the first time I watched this, I had no doubt he will become next Muserskiy and he will lead NT for next 10 years:aww:

It seems that his transfer to Moscow isn't success so far, especially after Nova's MB came to (and is he injured now? I don't see his name on the stats lately).

I hope he improves that amateur service at least. This is the worst element for him compared to another Russian MBs.

Yes I remember he was such promising that time, I had the exact same thoughts he will be Muserskiy's heir-apparent but reality couldn't be farther from the truth now. It's a weird case with Vlasov, his contemporaries (Kiluka, Poletaev, Volkov) they all improved their game, but he regressed. Other than his attack (which is not pretty special tbh), all other elements he is pretty weak especially the blocking which is normally the asset of Russian MBs. I can name 10 Russian MBs who is currently better than him at the moment, I don't think he will be invited to the NT this year..

In other news, Camejo now applied for Russian citizenship to FIVB, but I think this will take at least 6 months to take effect and so maybe we will only see him next year if ever he gets called in Russian NT.

• Sounds like Verbov is still Russia’s No 1 libero after so many years... I’m curious why he was not part of the squad at 2012 Olympics. Does anyone know why?

I also wondered the reason why. Sokolov and Obmochaev was actually was pretty decent at London, my guess maybe Alekno wanted a 2- person libero system that time or he got injured

• The finnish Tuomas Sammelvuo (Kuzbass Kemerovo) is the new coach of Russia. He was coach of his country in WC 2018.

• Yes I remember he was such promising that time, I had the exact same thoughts he will be Muserskiy's heir-apparent but reality couldn't be farther from the truth now. It's a weird case with Vlasov, his contemporaries (Kiluka, Poletaev, Volkov) they all improved their game, but he regressed. Other than his attack (which is not pretty special tbh), all other elements he is pretty weak especially the blocking which is normally the asset of Russian MBs. I can name 10 Russian MBs who is currently better than him at the moment, I don't think he will be invited to the NT this year..

In other news, Camejo now applied for Russian citizenship to FIVB, but I think this will take at least 6 months to take effect and so maybe we will only see him next year if ever he gets called in Russian NT.

Perhaps FIVB should consider a special case for Cuba by allowing a team like “Cubans Overseas” to compete at FIVB NT-level and Olympic tournaments. 😅

• Has he achieved anything outstanding in the past? This doesn’t sound like particularly exciting news for Russian NT...

He is a young coach (43 years old). He was coach of Finland since 2013 until 2018. Also, he is coach of Kuzbass (one of the top russian teams). I hope that he can make a great job.

• Has he achieved anything outstanding in the past? This doesn’t sound like particularly exciting news for Russian NT...

Not really. Both Sammelvuo and Konstantinov have gained experience coaching in Russia and might be even considered "local" by some. I don't know many details, but I guess they are both fluent in Russian and are relatively highly regarded by the media (so it seems). However, both, and especially Sammelvuo, now that we are discussing him as the new Russian NT head coach, have coached decent teams in the Superleague without much success. Sammelvuo is in charge of a capable and very talented Kuzbass side whose greatest achievement has been to challengr Zenit Kazan for the Cup last year when they lost in 5 sets. Konstantinov, similarly, has been coaching in Surgut, Nizhny Novogorod (Guberniya), and now Novosibirsk. A European Cups final with Guberniya lost to Paris Volley has been his greatest achievement, apart from a few scandals with players here and there. Both were also in charge of their respective NTs and both, in my opinion, couldn't add much value and won't be remembered for something special.

As you see, I am intentionally comparing them both as, I believe, their coaching careers resemble one another. And both, also discussing Sammelvuo now, won't be really fit to lead the male NT. I think it is a weird choice.

• Kuzbass is a very good defensive team though.

I don't know if that's because of the coach but maybe he can add something here and there for Russia which is an absolute net monster team but fragile at the back.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Kuzbass is a very good defensive team though.

I don't know if that's because of the coach but maybe he can add something here and there for Russia which is an absolute net monster team but fragile at the back.

I agree and this is due to both Karpukov and Podlesnykh role as defensive OHs plus the Finnish libero.. Also, I think this is good in general for Poletaev's development having both the same coach in club and NT if the rumor is indeed true

I think the biggest "headache" of this new Russian coach is who will he decides to keep from the roster of setters. I think Butko is the only safe one, Kovalev/Kobzar/Grankin/Pankov will be fighting for the backup setter role but I hope it goes something like this:

Butko, Kovalev - will play for the major tournaments OG, World Cup

Kovalev-Kobzar/Pankov - all other lesser tournaments like VNL, ECH etc,.

• I just realized that ECH's final is on Sep 29 , then WC starts on Oct 2 :what:

Probably they have to make 2 teams for these competition.

• I think the biggest "headache" of this new Russian coach is who will he decides to keep from the roster of setters. I think Butko is the only safe one, Kovalev/Kobzar/Grankin/Pankov will be fighting for the backup setter role but I hope it goes something like this:

Butko, Kovalev - will play for the major tournaments OG, World Cup

Kovalev-Kobzar/Pankov - all other lesser tournaments like VNL, ECH etc,.

If Camejo and Butko can't be in the same team (because they are nationalized players), Camejo should be the principal option.