South American Club Championship 2019

• There is no thread for it so I'll comment here: today is the Copa Libertadores voley final between Bolívar and SESC (the winner qualifies for Club WCh, maybe?).

Bolívar has been very impressive beating several top brazilian clubs in their way to this final.

This cup was a great idea and I hope it replaces for good the dumb south american championship which basically gifted the title to Sada almost every year.

• There is no thread for it so I'll comment here: today is the Copa Libertadores voley final between Bolívar and SESC (the winner qualifies for Club WCh, maybe?).

Bolívar has been very impressive beating several top brazilian clubs in their way to this final.

This cup was a great idea and I hope it replaces for good the dumb south american championship which basically gifted the title to Sada almost every year.

This was an embarrassing event for Taubate, being the hosts. Everything just needs to change for that team - its an absolute mess.....

• (the winner qualifies for Club WCh, may

No.

This tournament is pointless. Club WCH participant will come from the South American championship in two weeks.

• No.

This tournament is pointless. Club WCH participant will come from the South American championship in two weeks.

how stupid...then what is this tournament for?

I did not know Praia will also play in the Women`s Tournament....so the SuperLiga went from Osasco & Sesc to Praia & Minas in every final.... kinda boring.

• how stupid...then what is this tournament for?

I did not know Praia will also play in the Women`s Tournament....so the SuperLiga went from Osasco & Sesc to Praia & Minas in every final.... kinda boring.

Praia will play because they are the current league champions. Minas is the host.

Well, they only played one national final against each other so far...the others were the state championship...I can't see why this is so boring.

• No.

Let me guess, hosted by F*cking Sada :rolleyes:

Congrats Bolívar anyway. Hope they can repeat this in two weeks.

• Let me guess, hosted by F*cking Sada :rolleyes:

Congrats Bolívar anyway. Hope they can repeat this in two weeks.

It was actually hosted by Taubate (which ended up in 4th place). Sada finished in 6th place.

The South American championship will have Sada and Minas to fight for the WCH spot.

• It was actually hosted by Taubate (which ended up in 4th place). Sada finished in 6th place.

The South American championship will have Sada and Minas to fight for the WCH spot.

I know that Taubate hosted this. I'm talking about the south american championship in a few weeks. The amount of international club tournaments hosted in MG last few years is a bit ridiculous. Sada is usually the best ofc but they always have that extra advantage too.

• I know that Taubate hosted this. I'm talking about the south american championship in a few weeks. The amount of international club tournaments hosted in MG last few years is a bit ridiculous. Sada is usually the best ofc but they always have that extra advantage too.

It doesn't matter who hosts the south american championship. Sada is the current superleague champions (I think they won in the past 4 or 5 seasons), so as long as they keep winning the league, they will have a spot there. And I don't think home is a major factor here. South american clubs are not as good as Brazilians. Bolivar will not play, for example.

The hosts this year is Minas Tênis Clube. I don't know if you are Brazilian or not, but Minas is a state. Minas Tenis Clube obviously plays in Minas but their home is the capital of the state, and that's where the south american championship will be held in later this month. Sada's home is in the state of Minas, but not in the capital.

• It doesn't matter who hosts the south american championship. Sada is the current superleague champions (I think they won in the past 4 or 5 seasons), so as long as they keep winning the league, they will have a spot there. And I don't think home is a major factor here. South american clubs are not as good as Brazilians. Bolivar will not play, for example.

The hosts this year is Minas Tênis Clube. I don't know if you are Brazilian or not, but Minas is a state. Minas Tenis Clube obviously plays in Minas but their home is the capital of the state, and that's where the south american championship will be held in later this month. Sada's home is in the state of Minas, but not in the capital.

Damn, I forgot the 2nd qualified from Argentina is the champion of the dumb cup and not the runner up of the league. Without Bolívar, then no chance for ARG teams. Especially because UPCN sucks this season.

As for Cruzeiro, hosting in the state is still an advantage, they barely have to travel and many of their fans can still attend even if it isn't their home ground.

• Sada survived a 0-2, 24-25 against Obras and will play the final of south american championship with UPCN, who easily disposed of Minas.

Sada also won their group game with UPCN in the same fashion, reverting a 0-2 in sets. What will be the result tomorrow??

PS. Obras has an extraordinary setter in Sanchez. Technically he is better than even De Cecco IMO. Sadly, he's 172cm tall and will probably never be world class player due to that alone :(

• It's time we created a new thread for this topic. I will move the relevant posts here.

LDvolley We know Matias Sanchez very well. His talent and height issues were first commented here back in 2015. I think it had to do with a junior/youth WCH back then.

Matias Sánchez is such SUCH a talent of a setter, and his serve is so tricky and difficult to receive for opponents :cheesy: It's an absolute pity he's only 173cm tall and probably won't be a world star because of that, things like that make me hate this modern male volleyball which only smiles to gigantic players that hit the ball hard.

As good as Matias Sanchez can be, I doubt this height will ever let him perform extremely well in the future. It's a brutal world out there.

Best individual team

Setter: Matias Sanchez (ARG)

• What is the difference between Copa Libertadores and the CSV club championship?

The Club championship is the official club competition of CSV and awards one quota for Club WCh to the winners. It's usually played by two argentinian teams, two brazilian teams and bunch of clubs from the other countries (some years more, some years less, it's a bit inconsistent).

The Copa Libertadores Voley is more like a private enterprise between argentinian and brazilian leagues that started this year (it has the approval of CSV though) and sees the top 4 clubs of Argentina facing the top 4 clubs of Brazil. As an interesting sidenote, both UPCN and Sada (who play the final of CSV championship today) played the Libertadores recently and both missed out of the top 4, finishing 5th and 6th respectively.

As you may notice, the format makes it a much more competitive tournament compared to the south american club championship. Personally, I would scrap the south american championship entirely since it doesn't make any sense for argentinian and brazilian clubs to play clubs from the other countries (they always play them with the B team and still win easily) and I would establish Copa Libertadores as the main competition. And maybe, someday, allow clubs from other countries into it if their leagues get competitive enough.

• Sada is the champion (again) 3-1 over UPCN. Third place for Obras (3-1 over Minas).

Somehow they picked Cavanna (UPCN) as best setter and not Sánchez or Cachopa.

• The Club championship is the official club competition of CSV and awards one quota for Club WCh to the winners. It's usually played by two argentinian teams, two brazilian teams and bunch of clubs from the other countries (some years more, some years less, it's a bit inconsistent).

The Copa Libertadores Voley is more like a private enterprise between argentinian and brazilian leagues that started this year (it has the approval of CSV though) and sees the top 4 clubs of Argentina facing the top 4 clubs of Brazil. As an interesting sidenote, both UPCN and Sada (who play the final of CSV championship today) played the Libertadores recently and both missed out of the top 4, finishing 5th and 6th respectively.

As you may notice, the format makes it a much more competitive tournament compared to the south american club championship. Personally, I would scrap the south american championship entirely since it doesn't make any sense for argentinian and brazilian clubs to play clubs from the other countries (they always play them with the B team and still win easily) and I would establish Copa Libertadores as the main competition. And maybe, someday, allow clubs from other countries into it if their leagues get competitive enough.

I agree, the Copa Libertadores is what the CSV championship always should have been.