OH - Katarina Lazovic, Sara Lozo, Ana Lazarevic

MB - Maja Savic, Jovana Kovic

2018 VNL Wide Roster.

S - Aleksandra Cirovic

OPP - Jovana Jovicic

OH - Jelena Blagojevic

MB - Mina Poovic

L -

• I think Serbia will (hopefully) make it to Tokyo with the same roster that won Gold last year, minus Pusic and ?????

JoanaBG do you know what are Terzic plans for 2019?

Will Ognjenovic play at all this year?? I don`t see the need for her to play, not even at the OG qualifier. She could take the summer off.

I don`t think Boskovic, Mihajlovic, Rasic, Stevanovic, Veljkovic, Silvja Popovic should be playing VNL at all...not even the finals. They should only play OG Qualifier and ECH.

This would be my wide roster for VNL and WC.

S - Mirkovic, Ana, Zivkovic

I wish Mirkovic would become the 2nd setter, assuming both Ana and Zivkovic will retire from the NT next summer so is time to get Mirkovic ready to take it over. But I already know Terzic will take Zivkovic to Tokyo.

OPP - Bjelica, Jovicic ( is she injured?), and any of the most promising ones in the Serbia League such as Caric.

MB: Mina Popovic, Maja Aleksic, Kovic, Savic, Mdark

OH - Busa, Milenkovic (whenever she`s ready to play), Malesevic, Blagojevic, Lozo, Lazovic, Rankovic, Kecman.

L - Pusic

• There's nothing official from Terzić yet. He did mention in his earlier interviews that the Olympic qualifier is the most important tournament of the season and that we need to have the best available team there. It makes me think he'll want Maja to play. Also, IMO, if Maja wants to play in Tokyo, she should spend at least some time with the team. No matter how good you are, if you only show up when you feel like it, it's not good for team chemistry. Maja talked about it herself in that interview after the WCh.

Knowing Terzić immense dislike for the VNL format and the crazy schedule this summer, I think it's 100% certain that the A team won't be playing the entire competition. Since Serbia is hosting the first week, I think the best team (more or less) will play and then maybe again in the last week as they should slowly be starting to prepare for OQT and ECh by then. But that's only my speculation.

About the players, I expect that barring injuries everyone who played in Japan last year will get a chance again this summer. As for the rest... I've said it before and I'll say it again, but I really wish Brakočević would change her mind and come back, although I know it's not realistic. Otherwise we're stuck with Bjelica as Tijana's back-up and it is what it is. There are two OPPs from Serbian league that should be given a chance to at least train with the big girls. One of them is Sara Carić, who I was pretty skeptical about, but she's shown some good things this season and should be taken into consideration. The other is Milka Stijepić from Crvena Zvezda who's having an excellent season. Her problem is that she's relatively short and has already been through major injuries, so her ceiling as a true A-list player is probably not too high, but she should be given a shot at least. Jovana Jovičić is injured for the rest of the season and there's no point in calling her. Now, Sanja Malagurski... She joined Crvena Zvezda about the same time Malešević left and she was supposed to take over her role, but she hasn't played a single match yet and now they're not even mentioning her anymore. Perhaps she's not fit enough to play, but since it's March already and she hasn't spent a minute on court this season yet, I really don't know if calling her up for NT makes sense at this stage of her career. Sad, but that's life.

Katarina Lazović should definitely get some minutes this season, mostly in VNL. And so should Bojana Milenković if she's recovered from her injury as she really needs match play. The OH position is somewhat of a luxury problem now, which is ironic. Not because they're all amazingly good, which is obviously not the case, but all of a sudden there seem to be quite a lot of players with more or less the same abilities/potential, so choosing the right one who can give the most at that particular moment might be somewhat tricky.

As for the MBs, I'm afraid Mina Popović might never get over her injury woes. Maja Aleksić might take her place this season, or who knows, perhaps even Nađa Ninković makes a comeback, she's not too old yet.

• She retired from NT after the Rio Olympics. Presumably she's not interested in being a bench player.

That's so sad though. I mean she still got the shit, last time I saw her playing in Lodz, im wondering who is this girl. She still has nice swing

• I can imagine it should be hard for Brako to be a bench player. She was one of the best opp in a few years ago, now sitting on the bench for someone 10 years younger than her should hurt her ego. Just a bad luck for her that one of the best players of this decade is playing on her position. I am pretty sure Brako could easily be a starter in many other top NT now

• I understand all that, and the fact that she has a young child and so sacrificing the entire summer just so she could play against weaker teams or for a few minutes in important matches when Bošković needs to rest a bit probably doesn't sound too appealing. It's natural.

Still, I remember how desperate she was to play in Rio, she openly talked about how difficult it was for her to get back in shape so soon after giving birth and how insanely hard she had to work because her body simply wouldn't cooperate. And in the end she made it pretty much on her name alone and as an ackowledgement from Terzić for her earlier contribution to the team and not because her form at the time called for it. He even said that leaving Bjelica at home broke his heart, which is probably why Malagurski kept getting cut in her favour in following years. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the point is that she now gets to call herself the Olympic vice-champion, and her contribution to winning that medal was pretty much zero. I wish she would acknowledge that and be willing to pay her dues and show up again for the team IF it is absolutely necessary.

• I think Brakocevic would certainly show up if needed. But I also think it makes no sense to have her back....it is just not necessary. Boskovic is here for the next 10 years at the least. So is better to give the chance for younger girls, when Boskovic retires they will have some girls with some experience. And who knows. Maybe soon enough Serbia could have a even younger OPP prospect and able to dethrone Boskovic while she`s still in her prime....

One thing I have noticed with the girls current in the Serbia league is their height. Some girls are a little short especially OH`s. I think they should teach some of the taller girls how to pass as soon as they start. For example Popovic, Savic, Aleksic, Kovic are all around 1.88 good height for a middle but they don`t have a size advantage as a lot of middles are over 1.90...but 1.88 is a perfect height for a OH. I wish Lazovic was a bit taller.

• I think Brakocevic would certainly show up if needed. But I also think it makes no sense to have her back....it is just not necessary. Boskovic is here for the next 10 years at the least. So is better to give the chance for younger girls, when Boskovic retires they will have some girls with some experience. And who knows. Maybe soon enough Serbia could have a even younger OPP prospect and able to dethrone Boskovic while she`s still in her prime....

One thing I have noticed with the girls current in the Serbia league is their height. Some girls are a little short especially OH`s. I think they should teach some of the taller girls how to pass as soon as they start. For example Popovic, Savic, Aleksic, Kovic are all around 1.88 good height for a middle but they don`t have a size advantage as a lot of middles are over 1.90...but 1.88 is a perfect height for a OH. I wish Lazovic was a bit taller.

Height is not the only criteria while deciding a player's position. Their agility, block anticipation, explosiveness, versatility etc. You can't just simply pick a tall girl and make her OH.

Aslı Kalaç is 183 cm but she is at top 5 blockers in the league. It would be a big pity if a trainer would try to make an OH out her because of her height. Same could be said for Carol who is also 183.

I hope this year will be breakthrough of Maja Saviç. I liked her even more than Stevanoviç while both were playing in junior level. Then, whiele Stevanoviç proved herself on senior level, Saviç didn't make it to the top level yet.

• Savic has always been one of the best middles in Poland. Last season in fact she was just as good as Veljkovic and Kakowleuska...I have no idea how she was not able to sign with any team in a better league. Maybe it was her personal choice to go back...who knows.

But is easy to tell Terzic does not like her....She should have been invited last year after a great season in Poland....hard to believe he will give her a chance now that she`s playing in Serbia.

• Speaking of Maja Savić, she was called to the NT in 2015 and then she signed with Muszynianka. The beginning wasn't good for her but she made a progress each year. She was really good last season but Muszynianka decided to withdraw the competition. There were rumours that Maja was going to sign with Developres to replace Żabińska who wanted to take maternity break but eventually Żabińska didn't take the break, Developres didn't sign Maja and she end up in Serbia.

I think Jovana will once again do the modelling staff in the summer. I guess she will never go back to the NT.

I hope Ljubica Kecman will get a call to NT. She has quite good season, her reception is a little bit shaky but she is good and smart spiker.

Also Blago deserves to be there. She is the kind of player that gives on court everything she has.

• Ljubica indeed deserves a chance. She has been pretty good all these years, and considering the fact that Serbia has a lot of problems with the OH position, she should be in the gym for sure.. I mean Busa is...

• But is easy to tell Terzic does not like her....She should have been invited last year after a great season in Poland....hard to believe he will give her a chance now that she`s playing in Serbia.

I agree, especially considering that her performances in the Serbian league aren't exactly setting the world ablaze. I mean, she's doing alright, but with the competition on the team on her position, it's probably not enough. I too think there might be some personal reasons in her decision to return to Serbia.

IMO, her "rival" for the place on the NT has never been Stevanović, but Mina Popović. And I used to think that Savić might be a better prospect than her, but obviously Terzić didn't agree and it's probably too late now.

Also Blago deserves to be there. She is the kind of player that gives on court everything she has.

I definitely agree! She's not young anymore, but she's very versatile and her experience and grit are certainly needed.

• http://sportklub.rs/Blog/Blog-…pijske-kvalifikacije.html

Ognjenovic talked about some interesting topics :

1. About Dynamo Moscow

Dynamo Moscow is financially powerful and nicely organized. Their main ambition is Russian Cup and Russian league. They dont care as much for CL . She kinda complained about the coach, she said that they are not preparing tactics .

We made a mistake, just because of bad preparation. I talked to Bojana Zivkovic after the game, who plays there and who told me that they watched three or four videos.And we only watched one of 15 minutes! ".

2.CL

She is cheering for Fenerbache to win a CL, because of Ana and Terzic. But she sees Vakif as a clear favourite although they are more vulnerable this season.

3. And is there any reinforcement among Russian players?

" I do not know, really. Strange is the politics of our club, I have never seen this before. Russians who are here, there are a hundred years here! And nobody ever goes anywhere and does not bring anyone ?! "

(lol this one)

4. It's still unknown who will be the second foreigner

" I know that Havelkova will leave us, who moves with to her boyfriend Grozer to St. Petersburg.There was a story that Elica Vasileva will come. However, when I sent her a message, I got the answer that she gave up. She decided to stay, she is having problems with her shoulder, she will stay in Italy for recovery. Frankly, I'm really wondering who will be our new "four". "

5. Playing for Serbia in 2019

She will probably play Olympic qualification tournament, she wont play Nations league and about EC she is not sure since in 2017 she didnt have motive so it's weird for her to say now that there is a motive. But everything is possible for that one. Younger players will play World Cup, that tournament won't be of the main importance for Serbia.

• Thanks! I didn't know about this one. She gives great interviews, as always.

A bit surprised that she's extended her contract, seeing how much she's complaining about all things Russia in this interview :rolll:

She shades the coach a lot (young and inexperienced, doesn't know what he's doing, they should have kept Terzić) and is not exactly thrilled with Russian mentality ("I don't want to make it sound like they're some kind of witches, but they - her Russian teammates - are really cold and closed off, there's no socializing after trainings, not even going together for a cup of coffee", there is also a language barrier since her Russian is not that great and neither is their English) and the club's transfer policy with the same players staying in the club forever without bringing anyone new.

She praises the club's medical and fitness staff, though, and says she's got used to long travels with many hours on the airplane, I guess she's getting paid well, so that should be it.

Playing the Olympic qualifier is not a done deal yet, but she does sound open to the idea. She'll definitely be skipping the VNL and WC, is undecided about the ECh, but from the sound of it, it's possible she'll play.

• Such shade :lol:

She always seems honest in interviews though which makes them much more interesting. Some people would just say "I love it here, my team mates are great, the coach is great, etc." Which can get boring.

• That sounds so Russian to me, I mean their specific mentality - "They are my teammates, no more than that."

• Maja has said before some years "i dont know if i will play in Olympiakos because greeks are a little lazy, irresponsible and light-minded." :lol: