Serbia NT 2019

• I never thought this day would come but you are falling in love with Euro volley :white::dance6:

Euro Volley = No way, but I truly love some of the Serbian players and I have this knee jerk reaction when people aren't giving those I love enough love to bring love (sometimes in a passive-aggressive way because I'm from California).

There's only one Serbian player I don't like, and I kind of super dislike her. I won't say who it is except to say it's not Brankica. She's in my love column, as long as she stays in Serbia :)

• It's Maja or Milena Rašić. Come on, don't be such a tease :D It's Maja, right?!

Am I really that transparent? :rolll:

Edit: I mean, I've never said a bad thing about her (I hope). That's kind of important to me. Is that what gave me away? Reverse psychology?

• Bianka is giving me Zehra vibes :heart:

• Basically, yes. ^^

But I also understand how her cockiness that can turn into borderline arrogance might rub people off the wrong way.

When I think of Maja I don't think "Oh, that cocky arrogant chick". That's not it. I'll tell the story some day

• Okay, so expectations don't lead to a let down (it's not that interesting):

My intro to volleyball was Rio. I watched much of it with a group of Chinese friends. It ended with Zhu Ting basically beating the shit out of Maja. My friends were, well ... you can imagine. When they showed the replay and Zhu did the eyeroll (which may have later been cleaned up) I thought the roof was going to come off my home. The Chinese folks I know would never act the way Maja was acting, especially in a Gold Medal match, 100km volleyball hitting you in the face and a possible broken finger notwithstanding. It was incredulous and we all let her have it. It isn't fair to Maja but think of it as reverse Euro-centrism. You're among like-minded people and you are winning. It can get mean. And shape your impressions.

As an extra data point, Brankica fared even worse. The image of her sitting on the bench at the end of the match looking forlorn and lost is forever etched in my mind.

At that point, I had no idea I was going to become interested in Volleyball. So neither of them meant anything to me.

So ... here's the thing. It's all about redemption. I'm all for redemption (just ask Ebrar, or Kaori Ueno who you probably don't know, or even Terzic who you know I've hated, but that line about his sense of humor and when he smiles monthly went a long way). It's simple and easy, really.

When I started to get into volleyball it took no time at all for Brankica to redeem herself to me. It's about personality not volleyball skills. Brankica is so lovable it isn't funny. Maja has simply never redeemed herself to me, and since she started so low, fairly or not, it's a long way up. She almost got me awhile back when she did that "In your Face, Gui" scream/dance. But I've never seen Maja do anything to amuse or entertain me. To be fair I haven't seen that much of her. Didn't she take a year off between now and then?

Remember, I try hard to find joy in difficult or ugly things. I'm working on it.

• what a let down. I was expecting more drama.

• I’m confused.. you don’t like her because she was upset after losing a gold medal match at the Olympics? An Olympic gold is basically what these players work for and devote their whole lives too, I think I would find a player a lot more unlikable if they weren’t a wreck after losing such an important match. Or maybe I’m misunderstanding what you mean...

• I think Maja's vb mind is very interesting, she plays unorthodoxly. But having Boskovic/Mihajlovic as super heroes after 2015, she does what she should do for winning.

2 hands dump is her magic.

She hits even from backrow, what might else she do;)

Ps; So many fans don't like her in Turkish league cause she becomes so annoying sometimes. After playing for Vakifbank, her haters will grow lol. Maja+Gio could be most hated setter-coach duo ever.

• If I understood right, he just doesn't find Maja interesting?

I can’t imagine not finding Maja of all people interesting.

Oh well. To each his own I guess. *blacklists sitenoise for life.* :lol:

• Ps; So many fans don't like her in Turkish league cause she becomes so annoying sometimes. After playing for Vakifbank, her haters will grow lol. Maja+Gio could be most hated setter-coach duo ever.

Why do you think so? I don't find Maja provocative towards opponents.. sure she can sometimes scream through the net, or make some gesture, but it's not what she regularly does, like the Cubans, Rahimova and etc

• I’m confused.. you don’t like her because she was upset after losing a gold medal match at the Olympics? An Olympic gold is basically what these players work for and devote their whole lives too, I think I would find a player a lot more unlikable if they weren’t a wreck after losing such an important match. Or maybe I’m misunderstanding what you mean...

No, I have no recollection of how she responded to losing the match. It's about how she was playing the match. And how the context of like-minded group think I was in created a very unflattering picture of her.

Sorry folks, but please remember I've never said a bad word about her. Except for that post, I guess :| She's one of ya'll's heroes. I respect that. She was the enemy where I was at.