Japan NT 2019 Women

• Such a trendsetter <3 I literally wanna wear goggles wherever I go now, even if it makes 0 sense

I appreciate the way the goggle-band makes her ears stick out. That's advanced goggle wearing technique :thumbup:

Yurie started and played the whole match (with subs) and went 9/39, which isn't that good, but the goggles made it feel like she was high scorer

:)

• Is Akugatawa a former passer because she's a really good receiver for a middle blocker?

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Is Akugatawa a former passer because she's a really good receiver for a middle blocker?

That was kind of cool. As far as I've heard she started as an OH very young but discovered she liked to hit really fast up the middle so she switched to MB

• I appreciate the way the goggle-band makes her ears stick out. That's advanced goggle wearing technique :thumbup:

Yurie started and played the whole match (with subs) and went 9/39, which isn't that good, but the goggles made it feel like she was high scorer

:)

Still better than Zhu Ting :rolll::rolll:

Yurie forever the best OH, stats are a hoax tbh

• 2029 World Cup postscript

Japan making it to 5th place probably puts the kibosh on Nakada resigning. If only they'd come in 9th :)

The elephant in the room is Sarina Koga. We may find out in years to come she's battling some demons now. This WC was her chance. With Kurogo out to injury, this should have been Sarina's Tournament. But she's not that player any more. This is hard to take :( but I guess it happens all the time

Nice to see Goggles Nabeya floating around for a couple matches in a full time uniform. I think it's a little big for her but that's her style :rose:

Yuki gave Japan 5th place. Think about that. It's true both ways. She had a firecracker in her butt for NED. Spiked at least two balls with anger on 2nd touch <3 Made my face feel like there was a breeze blowing on it

The FIVB commentator for ALL the Japan matches was a tragedy for me. Listening to Sargent Numbskull tell me how great Risa Shinnabe is makes her seem less great. :obey: Risa is world class, even if that guy thinks so

Never enough Haruka :heart:

Ishikawa as the U20 rep proved steel isn't an issue

Mako Kobata is so good I almost don't notice it any more :box:

It's not you, Miya, it's me

I'm frightened this squad is going to the Olympics, but I will be there supporting them and enjoying them. Promise.

• During the 4th set against Serbia, I suddenly thought was it like Nakada fooled us all along and the team would present a much better game this upcoming Olympic. It's merely impossible for the whole coaching team to be unable to recognize how awful their game is, at this stage. However, this went away quite fast as i recalled how Manabe made me all believe on a glorius Olympic cycle then the team surpisingly collasped, being almost beaten by Thailand in WOQ 2016.

• Such a trendsetter <3 I literally wanna wear goggles wherever I go now, even if it makes 0 sense

Actually she is wearing the googles because her eye was hit earlier in the year. The google are to keep her eye safe.

I got hit in the face my first weekend playing volleyball and had the blood vessels get smashed and had a black spot for a few days. She has had it happen a couple of times. So she is being extra careful because she could lose her sight.

• The Japanese team in 2020 will play better at home and they always play better at home.

However, there are some gaping holes right now. Outside of Araki, the middles are just seemingly standing on the court. Japan needs help in the middle and that is where this team losses most matches at the net. It is consistently outblocked by its opponents. Some of it is height but more offense has to come from the middles.

without blocking Japan gets behind and making up 5 point deficits all match long is often a losing battle. 2-3 point deficits are easier to catch up in a set.

Setter right now is all over the place. Tashiro/Tominaga are probably the best, Miyashita then Sato. Nakada has got to stick with two as soon as camp starts next year.

Ishii, Shinnabe, Nabeya, Kurogo are your outside hitters, Shinnabe as a passing opposite.

Koga is on the fence for me. Her passing is not as good as Ishii, and offensively she’s ok.

Liberos are set with Inoue and Kobata.

• During the 4th set against Serbia, I suddenly thought was it like Nakada fooled us all along and the team would present a much better game this upcoming Olympic. It's merely impossible for the whole coaching team to be unable to recognize how awful their game is, at this stage.

That Serbia match was a HUGE turning point. I was astonished when I read the post match blurb. I thought to myself "Miya Sato is 30 years old and you [Nakada] have been working with her [and this team] for at least two years and this just occurred to you?":

On her pre-match advice to Sato to draw spikers to her rhythm vs the other way around:

... there are many challenges, but she kept setting well and I think winning the match is the most important thing for her now. There are conditioning issues [??] and other challenges for her, but I want her to experience various things through this sort of real match experience. [...] I told her she shouldn't carry everything on her shoulders alone. She is capable of shouldering the burden, but I told her she should try to bring spikers to her rhythm rather than the other way around.

Regarding Aika Akutagawa and making higher passes: I saw a tendency of not having enough time in long rallies, where we tended to return the first pass lower. My instructions were that in the longer rallies, that we try to return passes higher, so the middle blockers have enough time to get their timing right. The idea was to create time to get our timing right with such longer passes in these long rallies.

I think Nakada also read Rains critique of Miya Sato. After he posted how 'docile' she is she attacked the ball at least three times in the next matches. She looked childlike doing it and I don't think she scored with any of them, but it's baby steps :)

Also, in those same post match comments Akutagawa said this:

Prior to today we had discussions together, and the first two sets I came to the attack position too early. Later she set well for me and I wanted to respond well to the "ideas" she put in her balls, so I tried to be careful about the run up before spiking. I think our efforts to get combinations right has led to this result

I understand that there are always game to game and moment to moment adjustments being made. That's what coaches and good players do all the time. But this is such a fundamental concept :aww: If it's not already in your Batman Utility Belt, you're ill-prepared.

I go against the tide and insist Japan did not play poorly in this tournament. Their defense is solid. They just can't score. And that's not because their "scorers" 'played poorly'. It's because of this:

Risa Shinnabe will consistently give you 9/20, but if she takes 30 swings you still only get 9 points. Same with Yuki Ishii. She can reliably give you about 15/35, but if she takes 45 swings you still only get 15 points. Ever more diminishing returns after that

That's why Japan needs someone, Kogo, Kurogo, Nagaoka, whoever, to take 50 swings and hit above 40%. That's not too much to ask. Using the middles more, or adding YOLO and Shion to the mix so that the right side of the court also becomes a threat would be icing on the cake.

Yuki and Risa stepped up their game against NED, Yuki to a degree I've never seen. Thanks girls :rose:I love you both

• Does anyone know where I can watch their last game against NED?

Since this was a Fuji-TV thing if you didn't get a chance to see it live on the betting site streams you'll never get to see it :(

Depending on where you live, you could pay FIVB ~U$17.00 to watch it. I would do that. That's a reasonable price of a ticket to one game. And you can re-live a ton of other stuff in glorious HD if you do it!

• That's why Japan needs someone, Kogo, Kurogo, Nagaoka, whoever, to take 50 swings and hit above 40%. That's not too much to ask. Using the middles more, or adding YOLO and Shion to the mix so that the right side of the court also becomes a threat would be icing on the cake.

Yuki and Risa stepped up their game against NED, Yuki to a degree I've never seen. Thanks girls :rose:I love you both

actually having some one take that many swings is a problem for Japan. Those balls are getting blocked or rebounded back. Just because you get a ton of swings does not mean that they are effective.

• actually having some one take that many swings is a problem for Japan. Those balls are getting blocked or rebounded back. Just because you get a ton of swings does not mean that they are effective.

50 swings @40% isn't a ton in a 5 set match and would be effective. My only point is that neither Yuki or Risa should be the player with the most swings. You're absolutely right Japan needs to spread the love, and I honestly believe they are as well equipped as any team in the world to do so because their reception and defense are so good. Look at the combinations Thailand runs (or the crazy stuff the U20 squad did), Japan needs some of that creativity

• 50 swings @40% isn't a ton in a 5 set match and would be effective. My only point is that neither Yuki or Risa should be the player with the most swings. You're absolutely right Japan needs to spread the love, and I honestly believe they are as well equipped as any team in the world to do so because their reception and defense are so good. Look at the combinations Thailand runs (or the crazy stuff the U20 squad did), Japan needs some of that creativity

against USA Mayu Ishikawa took 59 swings (21 kills), Ishii 55 swings (20 kills). USA with 17 blocks. Using USA volleyball’s data volley stats (unofficial), Ishii was blocked 6 times with 3 errors and Ishikawa 3 spikes blocked and 2 errors.

So Ishikawa 16/59 (27.1% hitting) and Ishii 11/55 (20% hitting). It has got to be closer to 30% hitting to be a winning team with that many swings.

• against USA Mayu Ishikawa took 59 swings (21 kills), Ishii 55 swings (20 kills). USA with 17 blocks. Using USA volleyball’s data volley stats (unofficial), Ishii was blocked 6 times with 3 errors and Ishikawa 3 spikes blocked and 2 errors.

So Ishikawa 16/59 (27.1% hitting) and Ishii 11/55 (20% hitting). It has got to be closer to 30% hitting to be a winning team with that many swings.

You know you go above my pay grade when you move from kill to hitting :rolll: but we're saying the same thing: 21/59 is not good enough. Ishikawa is not the player (yet, if she ever will be).

Everyone talks about how poorly Japan played. It's horse hockey. Take Gabi away from Brazil; KYK from Korea; Gonch from Russia; Bjelica from Serbia; Robinson from USA. How well do those teams do?

Kurogo may not be as good as any of those players in isolation but she doesn't have to be. It's Japan. Everyone else is better than everyone else on those teams at everything else. Well, except blocking. Say what you will about the aesthetics of Miya Sato's setting but she gave her attackers admirable chances for success. (But yeah, setting is a problem. Who would have thunk it possible with Nakada as Coach?)

The current state of this Japan senior squad is stale. It was a mistake not to send the U20 squad to the WC (there, I said it :) ). Give them Kobata and a second outside hitter from the seniors (and maybe Araki for mentoring) and they make the podium. "Young, Talented, and Used to Winning". Momentum. Unity. Spirit. Steel. Creativity. Airplane impersonations. YOLO.

There's just as much evidence to support the position of this naive Japan fan as there is to support that of the Japan haters and those losing faith: none

Okay. Beat me up :box:

• The gap between under 20 and full national team is massive. Could they have beat Cameroon, Kenya and Argentina with the roster you are asking for? Probably. However with the rest of the teams, you would be really off. China, Russia and USA had their first teams (or damn close). Those would have been 3 losses due to height and blocking at the net.

• Japan didn't need the ranking points so they should have gone "full-Serbia" with the U20-team (I got your back, sitenoise ). Those kids are full of potential and nothing better to learn than losing against the big ones. I think Japan lost a great opportunity to build-up their squad. With youngsters, you don't need to win, you need to play and let them feel the game, feel the struggle, the pressure.

• Japan didn't need the ranking points so they should have gone "full-Serbia" with the U20-team (I got your back, sitenoise ). Those kids are full of potential and nothing better to learn than losing against the big ones. I think Japan lost a great opportunity to build-up their squad. With youngsters, you don't need to win, you need to play and let them feel the game, feel the struggle, the pressure.

We need a way to do more than like a post. I want to slobber all over this one and drown it in wet kisses :* Not because I agree with it, but because it says more in a short paragraph, and says it more clearly, than I'm able to do in pages and pages of nonsense. Extra credit for "Full Serbia" :thumbup:

Before I dive into a long winded homage to sloth 's pithy provocation, let's remember that I'm the only one here exuding positive vibes towards the present NT. I don't know how to process the notion that they suck but we should stick with them and hope for the best. Who's dreaming here?

Here's the short version:

Young, Talented, and Used to Winning

• All the U20 squad will be better than they are now by Tokyo 2020
    • None of the seniors will be better than they are now by Tokyo 2020 (maybe Sato)
    • The U20 squad has momentum and spirit
    • The seniors execute in their sleep
    • Height is a very small issue and it's all Mayu Ishikawa's fault (the only U20 player already there)
    • There's no law that says teenagers can't play in the big leagues

The gap between under 20 and full national team is massive.

Others are saying the gap is small, with the odd implication that since Japan seniors routinely beat the crap out of China and Serbia seniors (whose gap to their U20s is a galaxy wide) it would be only a little harder for the Japan U20 squad to beat the crap out of China and Serbia seniors.

height and blocking

I concede blocking. But it's Japan. Who cares about that :whistle: Not much difference between 5 and 4 kill blocks per match. Who's better at just slowing down the ball? I don't know.

YOLO 173cm Risa Shinnabe
    173cm

This is the most fun shootout because it's ridiculous to compare almost anybody in the world to Risa Shinnabe but I'll do it anyway. It's not like asking "who would you rather have as an OP Bosko or Risa". This is Japan.

Nobody matches Risa's reception skills but YOLO isn't afraid of anything and clearly demonstrated chops, wonderful chops, in this department. I give them equal points on other aspects of defense with a slight edge to Risa in blocking, strange as that may sound. Nine months ago YOLO was a MB so she's at least familiar with the concept. Risa is a smarter hitter up to 20 swings, but along with traditional OP attacks and the ability, without sweating, to swing 40 times if necessary, YOLO also brings traditional MB slides and quick attacks up the middle, with an occasional back court attack--none of which Risa brings. This opens up the offensive strategies a lot, especially when you have a middle blocker who offers the same damn things:

Shion Hirayama
    180cm Aika Akutagawa 180cm
    Mai Okumura 177cm
    Nichika Yamada 184cm Erika Araki 186cm
    Nana Iwasaka 187cm

U20s average 182cm, seniors, 182.5. Spilt milk. If you factor in U20 MB Ayaka Araki the U20s average 182.6. Winning! But I wouldn't bring her (yet). All seniors are better blockers than Shion but other aspects of defense, and attacking, are a toss up. Shion definitely offers more options on offense. Yamada is about equal to the seniors blocking high set attackers only. It's unclear how she blocks against fast teams because we haven't seen a lot of it. Yamada is a better server than all the seniors. She's an actual threat. But I'm not so cocksure about the MB situation. I'd start Shion and Nichika and take Araki and any one of the other three as backup. Ayaka Araki is still in high school but we'll be hearing from her shortly. She's already played a year in Europe so she's automagically better.

Main OH: Since Mayu Ishikawa is only 171cm or 173cm, there's no way to make up that deficit. She's a jumper but height is a problem here. I don't think it is for the U20 team as a whole.

At 183cm, Miyu Nakagawa is taller than all the seniors, but she's a mystery. Still a teenager it remains to be seen if she fizzles as so many a Nakada template have, or if she blossoms. Also unclear if she wants to play left or right side of the court. Miyu lacks the pizazz and steel of her U20 cohorts, imo, and if Nakada was Coach of the U20 squad she would have played Miyu over YOLO and they would have lost.

2nd OH: This is weak spot of the U20. Yuki Nishikawa (180cm) is whack, often visits other planets during a match. One moment she's the next Saori, the next ... not that. Her errors are comically bad. I'd start her and treat her like Kurogo at the WCh. If she's on, we're good to go, if she's not (and it's easy and quick to tell) ... abort! She'd be the first, and probably only one to crack against big girl killdozing serves and smashes.

I wouldn't go any deeper with OHs from the U20 squad than Ishikawa and Nishikawa. They rhyme. So this is the gimme. Gimme Kurogo, Koga, and Yuki as backup (sorry Goggles), Risa backing up YOLO, and they'll kick your ass. Of course, if we knew Kurogo was going to be injured we wouldn't take her. I think Sarina might find inspiration with her closer contemporaries and make us happy again. I've been saying for a while that she and Yuki are oil and water on court. Is it Yuki that Sarina knocked out of the lineup a few years ago?

Libero: Also a gimme. Kobata or Inoue with Rena Mizusugi in the Yamagishi role. It remains to be seen where she ends up. She might also falter a bit against BFGs.

I fold on the setter position. Apparently this is Japan's biggest problem area. Suffice to say that U20 college kid Tsukasa Nakagawa knows her team mates best, has the steel, and proved she can win. She's a whopping 159cm. College kid Tamaki Matsui took over for her at Asian Champs and did well, better than Nanami Seki (who Nakada likes). She's only 171cm but super cute with good hair. Assuming they both can't fit the NT thing into their schedules, I'd (almost randomly) go in this order: Tashiro, Misaki Inoue, Miya/Miyashita. Let Coach Aihara decide.

In the end it was a missed opportunity not sending the U20 squad to WC. If it turned out an unmitigated disaster, reboot. Nothing lost. I think they lose to China and Brazil, go 5 sets with Russia and DOM losing one of them. USA is a toss up. They beat everybody else. They've already beaten Korea. They wouldn't crack. It's an easy mistake by anyone not familiar with them to think they would.

Here's the squad:

Libero: Mako Kobata , Rena Mizusugi

Middle-blocker: Nichika Yamada , Shion Hirayama, Erika Araki, (Coach's Choice)

Opposite: Haruna Soga , Risa Shinnabe

Setter: Kanami Tashiro, Misaki Inoue, Miya/Miyashita. (Coach's Choice--maybe he talks one of the college kids into it)

Outside Hitter: Mayu Ishikawa , Yuki Nishikawa, Yuki Ishii, Kurogo/Koga

• It appears ... with all the google translate cautions ... that Coach Noboru Aihara retired from coaching Higashi Kyushu Ryukoku.

I wonder if he has something lined up or that he's looking forward to