World Cup 2019

• Some European users are pathetic. I'm sorry your precious Bulgaria is not eligible to compete, because they can't even make it out of Europe:D World Cup has always been a prestigious tournament, and World Cup winners have always been seen as world champions.

Check Wikipedia, will ya?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…olleyball_World_Champions

The importance of an annual tournament isn't the same as a QUADRENNIAL tournament, capisce?

First, why did you mention Bulgaria? What does it have to do with anything here? When someone starts personal insults they run out of arguments and I will take it as a compliment.

I can compare it to whatever I want because the World Cup is a QUADRENNIAL meaningless tournament. Applying the same logic, you could now say the World Grand Champions Cup is equally important to the World Championship as it is also QUADRENNIAL :) As I said, even the annual VNL provides more money and a greater social factor - two arguments the World Cup simply doesn't.

By the way, if I move the Grand Champions Cup every 10 years, would that make it the most important and intergalactical tournament of them all?

Yes, the world spans far wider than Europe. This is why we have Olympics and WCHs :)

You two and the rest of the confused souls should learn the difference in volleyball terms between a World Cup and a World Championship. Unlike most of the games, they differ in the volleyball world. I don't have to ask an American, an Asian, or you two anything as you clearly misunderstand the concepts here.

Considering France - exactly! No one considers France anything but a 2015 European champion (the only more meaningful thing they won). The same way no one with reasonable thinking touts USA as anything other than a winner of the pre-Olympics World Cup qualifier in 2015. Or 2008 Olympic winner, for instance. Considering USA specifically, this is a land where the basketball and baseball champions are crowned world champions for some wild reason, so I don't think you provide further valid arguments.

Yes, I know the South American, North American, Asian, and African championships are relatively weak and devoid of drama because there are 2, 2, 3/4, 2 decent teams respectively. Hence, such a made up former-Olympic qualifier might act as a confidence boost and time filler. However, there are other accepted platforms where the world titles and glory are distributed. But as was pointed correctly above by other member already, this drama can be avoided and we wouldn't have to argue among ourselves and explain the difference between a World Cup and a WCH to others (football fans rightfully find it confusing why there are two different tournaments of different importance with otherwise similar names), some tournaments might be completely removed and others can gain more weight (such as continental tournaments, for instance, if they could all become equally important), thus also alleviating the international calendar.

• Some European users are pathetic. I'm sorry your precious Bulgaria is not eligible to compete, because they can't even make it out of Europe:D World Cup has always been a prestigious tournament, and World Cup winners have always been seen as world champions.

Check Wikipedia, will ya?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…olleyball_World_Champions

The importance of an annual tournament isn't the same as a QUADRENNIAL tournament, capisce?

I just checked the link, had never imagined anything like this existed :D This is plain wrong! I can also write in Wikipedia. Does it mean if I write something it becomes valid automatically? Here, take a look at my argument here.

Even in that list at the bottom of each gender table there is a separate column for the WCH and the World Cup, which we could live with. The sum (#) as an additional column is so forged that I won't even bother mentioning.

• World Cup has always been the 3rd most important and prestigious tournament.

This year will be different since it is Not a Olympic qualifier. I heard the prize money might be 1 million dollars...just not sure that's true.

So of course Brazil and USA will be there in full force and fighting for Gold...but unfortunately this will be basically another VNL tournament with only Brazil and USA fighthing for because the Europeans don't care .... Maybe Lang Ping will take it seriously.. Or maybe not.

World Cup should have simply been cancelled or hosted by another Nation and kept as a OG qualifier.

But hey... Nobody is forced to watch... So those who thinks the tournament is worthless simply don't watch it...and watch ECH instead.

I just checked the link, had never imagined anything like this existed

Just learn to explore the world and see the world with open eyes and minds.

I know exactly the difference between World Cup and World Championship. And to most of the world except some here, the winner of World Cup or World Championship or Olympics can be called World Champion.

That's what the Wiki's Link explained and obviously it doesn't count World Grand Championship as most of the world know how important are those 3 tournaments : World Cup/World Championship/Olympics.

No, nobody in Europe gives a rats ass about World Cup unless it gives out tickets for the Olympics. To us - fans AND the players, the ECh is much more important and that's simply the way it is. :*

so are we expecting NO europeans will discuss World Cup in any posts related World Cup this year! see how ignorance you sound.

I don't know why there is someone continues to reply this post if they found World Cup is "complete meaningless".

If something is "completely meaningless" to you, then you should leave it out of your life.

I just don't get it. Why bothers? Leave us some space to discuss our "meaningless" World Cup.

• World Cup has always been the 3rd most important and prestigious tournament.

Maybe Lang Ping will take it seriously..

The first description is correct to most of the world but not to some folks here keep saying World Cup is "completely meaningless".

As I know, China takes World Cup very seriously as they got their first World Champion title in 1983 which is the 3nd edition of World Cup.

• It's not about Wikipedia, you clearly got that, but rather such a fraudulent page in general related to volleyball. I will bring up the issue to Wikipedia/FIVB as to what is considered a world champion and what just a World Cup winner. By the way, the page was created at the end of 2018, so you clearly can't pretend for authenticity or prolonged validity.

Users have the right to react when they see something wrong, troubling or worth discussing. It doesn't necessarily have to do with the tournament itself. Mods/admins might interrupt for the same reason, that's the idea of a forum. It's rarely a discussion out of boredom. And even if it was, what is the problem? There is no problem in discussing things you might not care about or not watch. We might still waste time in October by watching some matches, be it with new faces or not, as I stated my preferenes earlier. Everyone has the right to define what is meaningless and what not. Hell, even federations do that.

The first description is correct to most of the world but not to some folks here keep saying World Cup is "completely meaningless".

As I know, China takes World Cup very seriously as they got their first World Champion title in 1983 which is the 3nd edition of World Cup.

The description might have been correct BEFORE the FIVB decided to leave the Olympic berths out of it. Which makes it a meaningless tournament NOW, if you haven't understood the discussion until now.

• It's still an important competition because of the world ranking points even if you exclude the olympic berths but it's unfair for the european teams qualified in the world cup to play without rest after ECH.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• I don't get why the highest competitive volleyball tournament of the year can be called "completely meaningless" as most of the world will put their A teams to World Cup. And the formula of World Cup ensure teams will meet each other.

Is European Volleyball Championship meaningless as the powerhouse like USA and Brazil (China in women's )don't participate?

The whole theory doesn't make any sense just because some or all european teams send B teams to the game or maybe they send A team to play without resting.

the federations accept the invitation of World Cup. That means World Cup worth to play in.

If you choose A team to play, that means both tournaments are equally important like you said maybe Russia likely to do.

If you really choose B team or younger players to play, that mean you value less, but not "completely meaningless"

IF SOMETHING IS COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS, THE FEDERATIONS WILL NOT SEND ANY TEAMS TO PLAY. IT COSTS A LOT OF MONEY!!!!

• First of all, the ECH is part of the european ranking points that helps in qualifying for the world championships and the continental olympic qualifiers in January.

So yes... ECH is more important for european teams than the world cup bereft of a qualification berth to the olympics.

The world rankings can only change what pool you get in the olympics right now but if you can't qualify then what's the use of participating in the world cup? Honestly, the olympic pools is unbalanced that losing ranking points could luckily put some of the stronger teams in the usually weaker pool along with the host nation.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• One last time, it won't matter what teams they all send to an INVITATIONAL tournament to which you don't qualify (why will Italy, Australia, Iran participate, for instance?) when they play a series of friendly games for no apparent meaningful title, no Olympic berths, no recognition, but just a bunch of ranking points. You said several times you don't understand it, then we can't and won't help you. It costs, by the way, much more to organize such a massacre rather than to just travel around. And yes, teams will get the chance to play a series of competitive friendlies and will send A or B teams respectively. Big deal.

Attention, attention, we have a new boss in town ordering people to leave, comment or not comment on posts/threads! That's not something you decide! Bear with different opinions than yours! Write whatever you want regarding the tournament, no problems, consider whichever teams you want for whatever titles, but some will ignore you for the apparent lack of volleyball knowledge and credibility.

• One last time, it won't matter what teams they all send to an INVITATIONAL tournament to which you don't qualify (why will Italy, Australia, Iran participate, for instance?) when they play a series of friendly games for no apparent meaningful title, no Olympic berths, no recognition, but just a bunch of ranking points. You said several times you don't understand it, then we can't and won't help you. It costs, by the way, much more to organize such a massacre rather than to just travel around. And yes, teams will get the chance to play a series of competitive friendlies and will send A or B teams respectively. Big deal.

it's World Cup, a title of World Champion not friendly matches. If you don't get it, I can't help you either.

• An update regarding the fraudulent and alarmingly misleading content on Wikipedia which may have made some of our users here "pundits" and invent new titles. The Wikipedia article referred above (here) has a Low priority on Wikipedia, it's already been marked as incorrect and reported before. There is also a discussion on the Talk tab. Wikipedia were nevertheless notified again today, I hope they react accordingly.

This is the correct article listing all medal winners here.

• Argentina will play the World cup with the same squad that went to south american championship. That is, a B team with only 4 guys that took part in OQT and honestly none of the most important players among those.

• Italy, as usual, trolling everybody calling for new talents to replace its aging stars. Here's the roster for the world cup:

Palleggiatori: Riccardo Sbertoli, Francesco Zoppellari. Schiacciatori: Oleg Antonov, Oreste Cavuto, Dick Kooy, Daniele Lavia. Opposto: Gabriele Nelli, Giulio Pinali. Centrali: Simone Anzani, Davide Candellaro, Matteo Piano, Roberto Russo. Libero: Fabio Balaso, Nicola Pesaresi