Brazilian NT 2019

• But I wonder if all of these players retiring will keep their word and stay out of the NT next year (Sheilla, Thaisa, Adenízia, Fabíola, Brait, Fabiana...). I really think it's unfair to stay out for like 3 years and then come back to the Olympics.

Brait said in her Instagram that she had a conversation with Zé and that now she is not ready to compete for the NT, but she also said that she’s happy that she has “open doors” to come back.

Thaísa just posted that she’s retiring from the NT today, but she stressed that this is not a final decision.

Tassia declined the invitation to join the NT allegedly due to family reasons.

My conclusion: We’ll see all these players back to the NT next year (especially Brait and Thaísa) if they get a call, but right now no one is willing to spend months away from their family. This is really demotivating for those who are competing for a spot, because they have spent the past 2 years playing for Brazil but next year I am sure all the top players will be back and girls like Amanda, Rosamaria, Mara, Milka, Lara, Natinha, etc, Will all be kicked out.

• In my opinion, CBV should reformulate Brazilian programme, particularly under 18 categories.

All discussions are pointless since China, Italy and other programmes are doing so well at this while Brazil got eliminated in pool B at the Girls' U18 World Championship (2017) behind Russia, Belarus :white: and USA.

It really doesn't matter the players Zé will take because you could like one player and I will like another but we must agree that Brazil won't be that competitive anyway. At this moment, Brazil has some legendary players that aren't in their prime anymore and a lot of young players that won't make such a difference on international stage. Give me one player at the level of Zhu Ting, Boskovic, Egonu and so on!

Brazil had an incredible programme years ago that brought us Sheilla, Fabi, Fabiana, Thaísa, Waleska, Jaqueline, Paula Pequeno, Mari, Fofão in their prime. What is going on? That is the question!

Before Pequim and London Brazil had an amazing performance at the U20 and U18 World Championships with Sheilla, Fabiana, Fabi and so forth and build upon it. There's no magic.

Amanda, Rosamaria, Tainara and whatever we bring up here are just the same compared with the best players in the world at their position. The problem is way deeper than that.

• The main reason: lack of talent.

• Dani Lins announced that she won’t join the NT this year. She said that she had suffered throughout this season with injuries and pain. So, she said that she need this break to recover.

Well, I believe that what Dani said is true. But even though it seems that the players don’t want to be part of the NT anymore.

• I do believe Dani too. I'm sure she'll be back next year. She loves Zé lol

But yeah, there are clear signs of wearing-out (I'm lost in the English here lol I mean "desgaste") in the team. There needs to be some changes come 2021.

• I do believe Dani too. I'm sure she'll be back next year. She loves Zé lol

But yeah, there are clear signs of wearing-out (I'm lost in the English here lol I mean "desgaste") in the team. There needs to be some changes come 2021.

Yes. And since Zé has already said that the best players will be invited in spite of participating in the entire Olympic cycle, there are no reasons for players like Thaísa, Dani, Garay, Adenizia, Brait and others to play the classification tournament because we can win without them.

But I don’t know how to feel about that. I mean, take Brait as an example. I love her. But if she’s willing to come back to the NT, she should be back this year and not in the following one. It would be really unfair to players like Suelen who have been there for the past 3 years. This thing of Sheilla coming back is also crazy. She hasn’t been there since 2016 (and hasn’t played at all). And I mean, some players return hasn’t been as great as expected. Garay was not playing her best last year because she came back only for the WCH, and her connection with Roberta was awful. Anyway, I think players should participate more in order to deserve a call.

• Yes. And since Zé has already said that the best players will be invited in spite of participating in the entire Olympic cycle, there are no reasons for players like Thaísa, Dani, Garay, Adenizia, Brait and others to play the classification tournament because we can win without them.

But I don’t know how to feel about that. I mean, take Brait as an example. I love her. But if she’s willing to come back to the NT, she should be back this year and not in the following one. It would be really unfair to players like Suelen who have been there for the past 3 years. This thing of Sheilla coming back is also crazy. She hasn’t been there since 2016 (and hasn’t played at all). And I mean, some players return hasn’t been as great as expected. Garay was not playing her best last year because she came back only for the WCH, and her connection with Roberta was awful. Anyway, I think players should participate more in order to deserve a call.

Yeah, I agree with you completely. And that was exactly one of the main things that made the Brazilian NT good in the past: continuity. I'm scared we're gonna see that exact same thing that happened in the WCH next year, with a bunch of players coming back after barely playing for over a year. It kills any kind of confidence some players have and the tactical system that was built during the season. I'm afraid Zé is kinda lost and doesn't know how to rotate the squad like some other teams have learned to do (like China).

• Yeah, I agree with you completely. And that was exactly one of the main things that made the Brazilian NT good in the past: continuity. I'm scared we're gonna see that exact same thing that happened in the WCH next year, with a bunch of players coming back after barely playing for over a year. It kills any kind of confidence some players have and the tactical system that was built during the season. I'm afraid Zé is kinda lost and doesn't know how to rotate the squad like some other teams have learned to do (like China).

Exactly. And this is a problem given the fact that the current team has no identity. If Brait, Dani, Thaísa, Adenizia, Garay decides to join the NT next year (since the beginning), we can have a competitive team in the Olympics. But I am specially worried about the future. It seems Zé doesn’t know what to do anymore.

• Exactly. And this is a problem given the fact that the current team has no identity. If Brait, Dani, Thaísa, Adenizia, Garay decides to join the NT next year (since the beginning), we can have a competitive team in the Olympics. But I am specially worried about the future. It seems Zé doesn’t know what to do anymore.

Yeah, I don't exactly blame Zé though, because what can he do when there aren't younger players showing up? I think he could take more risks, sure, but at the end he might always come back to the older guns because who wouldn't find themselves cornered in big competitions when you know the younger ones aren't enough?

Who knows, maybe this year will actually be good for the future with all these players stepping out. I can only hope so.

• Yeah, I don't exactly blame Zé though, because what can he do when there aren't younger players showing up? I think he could take more risks, sure, but at the end he might always come back to the older guns because who wouldn't find themselves cornered in big competitions when you know the younger ones aren't enough?

Who knows, maybe this year will actually be good for the future with all these players stepping out. I can only hope so.

I agree, but my point is not actually about renewing the team. I do share Ze’s perspective that we have to invite the best always, even if they’re older. BUT, these players should be able to be in the team for the entire cycle. I mean, Thaísa almost hasn’t played with the NT in this cycle. She hasn’t played against renewed Italy, against new Chinese players like Yingying Li. She hasn’t played against this renewed Russia. So she actually doesn’t know what’s going on with the other teams and this is pretty bad for blockers for example. More time you play against someone, greater are the chances for you to learn about your adversary (and that’s how we won against Russia in London quarterfinals).

I expect from Zé some kind of enforcement. It has to have consequences for those who are solely relying on their status in order to be in Tokyo 2020.

• I agree with mdacs. The situation of julia bergman and tainara is just the same with exinara and fernanda tome in 2017, invited but not played or barely played. At least edinara won 2017 montreux. Hahaha

• Gabi Cândido decided to quit the invitation to the NT.

I gave up understanding what the hell is going on.

Drussyla (!!!) and Garay allegedly will do the same. Perhaps Rosamaria too.

There's gonna be no one left.

• Gabi published a statement saying she has Panic disorder and that's why she can't commit to the NT right now.

Apparently Rosamaria might have something similar.

• Gabi published a statement saying she has Panic disorder and that's why she can't commit to the NT right now.

Apparently Rosamaria might have something similar.

Just making sure we're talking about Gabi Cândido, not Guimarães (who plays for Minas) before anyone here mixes them up.