USA NT 2019

• we’ll, i don’t know what happened in the NT, but i remember seeing video of the 2014 WCh, and gibby was in the stands, watching and supporting her teammates. she also was not picked for rio. i’ve always liked her, but of course i don’t know her. it’s too bad for her but the US has too many good MBs and she didn’t fit their needs.

i don’t have a long history of following the USA NT, a lot of what i know is in retrospect, watching videos on YT years after the fact. but obviously being in the NT is not a given, only a minority makes it; and there’s always heartbreak. again i don’t know any of the particulars, but there’s a long list of people that didn’t make it: kristin richards was a member for many years, didn’t make it to rio and left. easy may never return (even before her injury, i think she was on the way out). all the drama with hooker. bowne didn’t make it to london (lost the last spot to scott). metcalfe didn’t make it to beijing, etc.

this obviously happens with all NTs, specially those with big programs and deep benches. you could be the 13th best player in CHN and one of the top players in the world, but you may not make it to tokyo.

• Seeing the newer additions to the national team getting important minutes and doing really well might have rattled their confidence. Especially for Gibby who's at her best is still behind Akinradewo, Adams and Dixon. But Ogbogu and Washington getting sling shot ahead of her along with H.Tapp who is steadily climbing the ranks might have a lot to do with her decision.

Carli's exit was a bit premature. No doubt Carlini has taken the reigns this summer but Carli is still ahead of the other two setters. She can realistically reclaim the number 1 role if she tried and stay and fight for it. I guess I can understand how devaluing it must've feel like for her to suddenly be riding in the backseat with no windows after being the driver for so long just when they're about to get to her dream destination. Stepping away now means she doesn't have to carry that feeling, that energy, that negative emotion for another year. It means she can put all her energy on a bounce back and fully concentrate on having a succesful club season.

**Speaking of... I saw Carli a couple days ago in Oak St Beach in Chicago during the AVP Championship. I wonder if shes thinking about transitioning to beach. **

• Seeing the newer additions to the national team getting important minutes and doing really well might have rattled their confidence. Especially for Gibby who's at her best is still behind Akinradewo, Adams and Dixon. But Ogbogu and Washington getting sling shot ahead of her along with H.Tapp who is steadily climbing the ranks might have a lot to do with her decision.

Carli's exit was a bit premature. No doubt Carlini has taken the reigns this summer but Carli is still ahead of the other two setters. She can realistically reclaim the number 1 role if she tried and stay and fight for it. I guess I can understand how devaluing it must've feel like for her to suddenly be riding in the backseat with no windows after being the driver for so long just when they're about to get to her dream destination. Stepping away now means she doesn't have to carry that feeling, that energy, that negative emotion for another year. It means she can put all her energy on a bounce back and fully concentrate on having a succesful club season.

**Speaking of... I saw Carli a couple days ago in Oak St Beach in Chicago during the AVP Championship. I wonder if shes thinking about transitioning to beach. **

Yeah Lloyd might have of had a chance to beat out Poulter and Hancock had she stayed. I think it was a shock factor and when Karch asked her to leave it just struck hard.

Gibbemeyer on the otherhand had it more tough, being the weaker of the MB veterans and with the incoming young talent. Her spot on the team was bound to be taken.

Wish them both the best.

• Let me interject something -- as a former player/coach/admin -- to this scenario; attempting to infuse a "big picture" perspective. I don't know if anybody here has actually been 'on the inside' of the sport in this thread/forum -- kinda doubt it; seems more zealous, national/ intercontinental fanaticism to me. Anyway, anyone who has actually ever competed in VB -- be it as a player, coach, or however else -- knows that there is a inevitably finite "shelf-life" to any athletic career endeavors! When it was time for me to "hang it up" as a DIII player, I transitioned into DII coaching (via some inside contacts). When it was time to move on from coaching, I morphed into administration. I am retired from All That now: I therefore feel qualified to state these inescapable truths (just a fan again now; just like when I was fascinated by the Japanese team at the '64 Olympics in Tokyo: and became a life-long follower of the game). MY POINT? Lloyd and Gibbermeyer have a "clock that's ticking": a finite amount of time to continue their pro careers and retire comfortably, if possible. Carli has been doing this NT gig for a LONG TIME, also. Perhaps she feels "Father Time" creepin' up on her, and she wishes to maximize her career earning potential (does not happen within the USWNT pay scale)! Don't know Gibbermeyer's situation that well: seems as if she's ~the 5th MB option and saw "the handwriting on walls".

• Let me interject something -- as a former player/coach/admin -- to this scenario; attempting to infuse a "big picture" perspective. I don't know if anybody here has actually been 'on the inside' of the sport in this thread-forum -- kinda doubt it; seems more zealous, national/ intercontinental fanaticism to me. Anyway, anyone who has actually ever competed in VB -- be it as a player, coach, or however else -- knows that there is a inevitably finite "shelf-life" to any athletic career endeavors! When it was time for me to "hang it up" as a DIII player, I transitioned into DII coaching (via some inside contacts). When it was time to move on from coaching, I morphed into administration. I am retired from All That now: I therefore feel qualified to state these inescapable truths (just a fan again now; just like when I was fascinated by the Japanese team at the '64 Olympics in Tokyo: and became a life-long follower of the game). MY POINT? Lloyd and Gibbermeyer have a "clock that's ticking": a finite amount of time to continue their pro careers and retire comfortably, if possible. Carli has been doing this NT gig for a LONG TIME, also. Perhaps she feels "Father Time" creepin' up on her, and she wishes to maximize her career earning potential (does not happen within the USWNT pay scale)! Don't know Gibbermeyer's situation that well: seems as if she's ~the 5th MB option and saw "the handwriting on walls".

That's all true and I guess no one here is questioning their desire to leave or the fact that there's, as you said, the "clock that's ticking" factor. The weird thing, at least to me, was their timing. They left right in the middle of a tournament, together. And Gibbemeyer herself likely implied there was conflict. Not to mention both of them took quite a while to announce their retirement, which in my eyes implies that they were waiting for the dust to settle due to something beyond their power; a clause in their contract (if there's one)? A mutual agreement between them and USAV that they would take some time and let things cool down before coming forward with the announcement? Who knows.

• So judging by the stories from the official Instagram of the usavwnt and usavolleyball (<-- btw check both of them out. The mnt vs wnt annual bagger-one looks like a lot of fun.) We could be looking at the final roster. No real surprise other than JWO and probably to a lesser extent H.Tapp over Adams.

Not official...

S: Carlini, Poulter

L: Courtney, JWO

OPP: Drews, Lowe

OH: Larson, MBH, Hill, Robinson

MB: Dixon, Ogbogu, Washington, H.Tapp

• the team has a huge chance of getting another gold just before Tokyo 2020. I hope they don't botch this World Cup. Among the positions inside the court, I think this team really lacks the strength in the libero position. Courtney has been very underwhelming and needs to take the charge in sweeping better, especially block deflections that fall.

Though Drews is far from her MVP form, I think she can still improve as the tournament goes on. Intimidated by Lowe? Conscious about the Japanese scouts as she's going to play there this season? Hope she finds her bearings fast. USA vs. China will be bloody.

• Is Courtney's position still hers or does JWO and maybe even Mary Lake have a chance next year?

Could Hentz be a option, doesn't she graduaat after this year? She is really impressive in NCAA, so maybe she can fill in the gap?

• Could Hentz be a option, doesn't she graduaat after this year? She is really impressive in NCAA, so maybe she can fill in the gap?

A few 'Inside Stanford' observations about Morgan: 1) KKdoes not like her technique of "crashing" into the court; 2) Even tho' she graduates this coming May, she has made no pronouncements re: her post-undergraduate plans. It's rumored she will go into a Graduate program in Psychology, and drop All VB-related activities; 3) She Has Also stated that, if invited to join the USWNT's gym team, she may be interested in Tokyo 2020. Personally, I don't think Kiraly wants her!

• What happened to Carlini? She rarely played in World Cup.

Same with Hill and Tori.

I don't know what's the plan of kiraly with these players.

Well since the abrupt retirement of Carli Lloyd from the national team , the most experienced setter they have at the gym now is Hancock and then Carlini. It's safe to say that Karch is using this tournament to give Poulter all the experienced she needs to compete against tougher opponents now so she'd be "ready" if shes selected to go to the Olympics.

Same thing with Washington and Ogbogu. As good as they are now they're still pretty raw and new to the scene. Dixon's place is almost guaranteed as the only veteran MB selected to play the more important tournaments. Hill being used sporadically has more to do with her coming in late over the summer and the other OHs out playing her.

• A few 'Inside Stanford' observations about Morgan: 1) KKdoes not like her technique of "crashing" into the court; 2) Even tho' she graduates this coming May, she has made no pronouncements re: her post-undergraduate plans. It's rumored she will go into a Graduate program in Psychology, and drop All VB-related activities; 3) She Has Also stated that, if invited to join the USWNT's gym team, she may be interested in Tokyo 2020. Personally, I don't think Kiraly wants her!

I guess we'll have to see who the libero options are come VNL 2019.

• Same with Hill and Tori.

I don't know what's the plan of kiraly with these players.

Imho, unfortunately, neither does he, seemingly. At times -- 'cos he is so stubborn - I feel that he would rather go down with his system...and ego...than figure out a way to actually win Gold at OG's. I'm a former player/coach. I have not been a fan of Karch: both coaching-wise, along with his (way-too-smug) persona!

• A few 'Inside Stanford' observations about Morgan: 1) KKdoes not like her technique of "crashing" into the court; 2) Even tho' she graduates this coming May, she has made no pronouncements re: her post-undergraduate plans. It's rumored she will go into a Graduate program in Psychology, and drop All VB-related activities; 3) She Has Also stated that, if invited to join the USWNT's gym team, she may be interested in Tokyo 2020. Personally, I don't think Kiraly wants her!

No libero in the US is good for him, geez.. What does he want? A reborn Sykora? You are supposed to work with what you have mr. Karch

• Krob a a great OH, but you i noticed she is struggling with team who has great blocking or tall players like china. I could still put her as OH in olympic but she will have to play as libero against big teams. Usa doesn't have great libero and krob is the perfrct for that position if they want to win medal. Let larson, mbh and hill in OH and krob as libero with Courtney. But krob should be starting libero against big and strong players.

• I still need a reason why

Karch have to give Lloyd Murphy as her opposite while Carlini and the other setters get Drews and Lowe and they're automatically ahead of her after the world championship final 6 elimination. :whistle:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney