2019 Universiade in Naples, Italy

• Japan must have mistook a squeaky shoe for a ref whistle or something on that one weird play. The serve was coming over to them and they all turned their heads in unison to sidecourt and just let the serve go.

• I like Hungary Coach. He's like some dude who's just stopping by between projects in his backyard. Casual Friday 8)

• This has turned into a match. I knew Hungary was better than they started out. Stepping up the block and using the middles more. Japan scrambling.

• Tie Break! Whatever flipped the switch for Hungary to start blocking has them playing with great confidence now. I'm for Japan but I do love a 0–2 comeback

• Japan wins the Tie Break. Gets Bronze.

Too bad. That Hungary Casual Friday Coach deserves a medal. Even when his team was getting spanked in the first two sets he was having a good time, accenting the positives. It worked. His players followed him. I love that kind of coaching :thumbup:

• Hungary could have won this match if they didn't get stuck in rotation 1 for a series of points at least once in every set :aww: Nemeth can't attack from 4 at all and the setter never seemed to be able to find a reliable solution in that rotation.

• Hungary could have won this match if they didn't get stuck in rotation 1 for a series of points at least once in every set :aww: Nemeth can't attack from 4 at all and the setter never seemed to be able to find a reliable solution in that rotation.

:) I don't have the experience/know how to see that kind of thing, although I could see Nemeth not being effective from Pos 4.

Even when Hungary was struggling at the beginning, I'm thinking they look pretty solid at setter, libero, and wings, especially #14 Anett NEMETH -- with the usual caveat that the setter wasn't hitting her middles enough. Message got through, middles stepped up, started blocking and scoring, and Hungary looked like they were playing to their potential. Couldn't really figure out how they lost wind at the end.

• Gold Medal Match should be good. Dominant Russians against the Home Court Italian Dopplegangers.

Suit up!

• Italian Coach pumping up his team and then pulling up his trousers :rolll: That was a good sequence :dance6:

• I like the way the Italian Lefty, PERINELLI, hits from the left side. And NICOLETTI is playing solid volleyball.

1–1

• Russia maintains ownership of this tournament. They're intense.

• Lazareva was the best scorer of the game with 24 pts (23a, 1a). Honestly, Ryseva was worse today, I didn't get impressed by her performance. I share the statistics below.

Ita: Nicoletti 15, Perinelli 13, Botezat 8, Villani 7, Berti 6, Angelina 4, Nwakolar 2

Rus: Lazareva 24, Sperskaite 16, Evdokimova 10, Zaytseva 8, Vorobyeva 6

• Lazareva was the best scorer of the game with 24 pts (23a, 1a). Honestly, Ryseva was worse today, I didn't get impressed by her performance. I share the statistics below.

Ita: Nicoletti 15, Perinelli 13, Botezat 8, Villani 7, Berti 6, Angelina 4, Nwakolar 2

Rus: Lazareva 24, Sperskaite 16, Evdokimova 10, Zaytseva 8, Vorobyeva 6

I thought her entrance changed the game for Russia. Novik looked amateurish to me at times. Ryseva isn't great but she looked more solid to me.

• Congratulations to Russia!

Always thought Lazareva could be the player of the future when Goncharova does not play anymore. But she did not have many chances. In the few times it has been very good.

Now, with this championship and the best player award in the competition, I hope that Lazareva has a chance on the main team as a reserve player for Goncharova. She is only 22 years old and 1.91 tall.

It's funny to see Russia with their team B winning a tournament with a player like Lazareva, meanwhile, Pankov bets on players like Kotikova and Khaletskaya. Lazareva is much better than all of them.

I hope coach Pankov wakes up in time.

Russia can have a very strong team with:

Startseva - Romanova

Goncharova - Lazareva

Ilchenko - Voronkova - Kosheleva - Kadockhina

Koroleva - Fetisova - Lazarenko

Galkina - Malova

• sitenoise, do you know that liberos cannot set overhand in front of the 3m line? either they set with a bump set (bagher) or they have to jump behind the line... same rule as with backrow attackers.

That's one of the few things I do know about. That Italian libero had a couple where she jumped across the line, stylin' :thumbup:in the previous match.

• 2019 Summer Universiade Napoli, Italy

Final Standings

Medal Rank Team
    Gold 1 RUS - Russia :cup:
    Silver 2 ITA - Italy
    Bronze 3 JPN - Japan
    4 HUN - Hungary
    5 GER - Germany
    6 BRA - Brazil
    7 CZE - Czech Republic
    8 CAN - Canada
    9 USA - United States