Italy - Serie A1 2019/20

• What if they'll finish the season empty-handed? :whistle::whistle:

they will. according to this lunatic scandicci last season had five very good OHs. so good that any two can start. he is baffled by the fact that imoco's bench players sit on bench instead of playing as a starter in some other team cuz he believes that imoco's bench players are so great that they could easily start in any team not named imoco.

• What if they'll finish the season empty-handed? :whistle::whistle:

I mean they probably will, I really doubt they could win the league on a 5 game series against Conegliano, unless they have some major problems/injuries. If they don't even go to the finals is going to be a complete disappointing season though giving how much they're investing. Their only hope to win something in my opinion is to sneak a win on the cup on a direct game.

• they will. according to this lunatic scandicci last season had five very good OHs. so good that any two can start. he is baffled by the fact that imoco's bench players sit on bench instead of playing as a starter in some other team cuz he believes that imoco's bench players are so great that they could easily start in any team not named imoco.

But why are you using words as lunatic ? U Don’t agree with me or someone okej, but u don’t need to be idiot pls

• Attendance in European leagues 2018/2019.

https://surlatouche.fr/affluence-volley-europeen-2018-2019/

Wow Conegliano is in Top 3 :white::white:

Only female club in top 10, and Seria A has 4 teams in top 20.

One more thing in what Seria A is the best, not only the strongest one :heart:

• Imoco was really smart in these years. They are basically the heir of Sisley Treviso. They even use their hall, the PalaVerde in Villorba (Treviso), instead of the Zoppas Arena of Conegliano (were Spes Conegliano, former Serie A1 club, used to play). They could be even better, considering they took over an historical place of volleyball.

Imagine if Modena men's club would disappear and the very same year a strong women's club would start in the city, it would be the same.

• At the risk of turning it into yet another Italy vs Turkey discussion, I can't help but notice that the Istanbul giants aren't even in the top 70 ?( The discrepancy between their budgets and the actual public interest seems huge and I wonder how much longer it can be sustained.

Impressive numbers for the German league, all things considered.

• Conegliano is making 1/4 of their budget with ticket sales. Or even more, 1/3. Their is no many clubs that can say the same thing.

• At the risk of turning it into yet another Italy vs Turkey discussion, I can't help but notice that the Istanbul giants aren't even in the top 70 ?( The discrepancy between their budgets and the actual public interest seems huge and I wonder how much longer it can be sustained.

The german Bundesliga asks for so many requirements to its clubs. I'm not surprised at all by their amazing results.

Yes, who is actually making money out of these Turkish clubs, other than the players of course? I know FB and GS are massive sports clubs and can probably spare a couple of million but I’m a bit confused about what business sense that makes because I don’t see a return on their investment. I can’t imagine numbers like these impress sponsors, etc.

Thanks for the article Leox - very interesting.

• Yes, who is actually making money out of these Turkish clubs, other than the players of course? I know FB and GS are massive sports clubs and can probably spare a couple of million but I’m a bit confused about what business sense that makes because I don’t see a return on their investment. I can’t imagine numbers like these impress sponsors, etc.

Thanks for the article Leox - very interesting.

I think for clubs like FB and GS, they simply have to be in all arenas since they are the two major clubs and dynamos of sports in Turkey, so they have a responsibility to invest in youngsters and keep having solid teams, no matter how many spectators are out there.

However I agree about sponsors part. TVF has to consider the league, schedule and such and promote it in a better way. It would be ignorant to say that there are no volleyball fans in Turkey, the question is where are they? I guess the main problem is having so many Istanbul teams in the league. Fans of big clubs like GS, FB, BJK tend to prioritise football or basketball matches. Big clubs like Vakifbank and Eczacibasi are Istanbul team with no actual supporters, since they only focus on volleyball. I think the key is to bring more teams from smaller cities in Turkey. Aydin BB had good spectators for example, because there are no strong football or basketball teams from that city and locals will of course go and support their city's volleyball team every weekend. I am hoping for more diversity in the league in the future, from all over Turkey, not having 5 Istanbul, 2 Ankara teams in the league.

• Big clubs like Vakifbank and Eczacibasi are Istanbul team with no actual supporters, since they only focus on volleyball.

This is what surprises me the most. OK, we all know Eczacibasi can be a total mess, but Vakifbank is arguably the most professionally organized club in the world, they're very serious about what they're doing and seemingly have an infinite budget. So, I really don't understand how in all these years they haven't invested more in marketing and promotion, making themselves a real brand. I'm sure there's way more than a few hundred people in Istanbul that would be interested in waching their matches.

I've also always wanted to see more of a geographic diversity in the Turkish league. But I also wonder if it's somewhat like in Serbia, where we have a catch 22 of a sort - clubs outside Belgrade (in all sports) tend to get very little media coverage and thus have a hard time finding sponsors, even though they have good crowds. While on the other hand, in Belgrade, where the real money is, people are mostly interested in football and basketball, and specifically in the two most established teams (Crvena Zvetda and Partizan - the Serbian version of Galatasaray/Fenerbahce/Besiktas or Olympiakos/Panathinaikos). So, it's hard to strike a good balance.

• JoanaBG good points! I think it is quite identical. To be honest, there is not much Vakifbank or Eczacibasi can do to promote themselves, I mean both clubs are in the news quite often since they won CL and World club championships, which none of the football or basketball clubs ever did. The problem is, Istanbullers are already dedicated to three major clubs, GS, FB and BJK. I think the support of such in smaller city teams would come from the home of love (oikophilia), maybe a bit far extend from local nationalism or can be due to locals having nothing else to do on a sunday since there are no other major sport clubs in their cities.

• JoanaBG its the exact same and meatballs here above me explained it perfectly, Istanbul nation has already picked their teams to support.

Look at teams as Seramiksan (RIP) and Çanakkale and Aydın BşB f.e. they are from Anatolian smaller cities but always have very good and dedicated crowds despite they haven't had half the success of VakifBank and Eczacıbaşı, even Beylikdüzü has a great crowd and they are a big neighbourhood inside of Istanbul. I guess people struggle to make a connection with these rich and successfull clubs especially VakifBank which is government backed and funded. Btw ironically I notice Eczacıbaşı actually made some real fans lately again , Turkey just can't like VakifBank for some reason :rolll: