CEV Champions League 2020

• https://www.cev.eu/News.aspx?NewsID=30512&ID=5

• March 18: Match No. 5-301 Fenerbahce Opet ISTANBUL (TUR) vs. Igor Gorgonzola NOVARA (ITA)
    • March 18: Match No. 5-305 Savino Del Bene SCANDICCI (ITA) vs. Eczacibasi VitrA ISTANBUL (TUR)
    • March 19: Match No. 5-302 Igor Gorgonzola NOVARA (ITA) vs. Fenerbahce Opet ISTANBUL (TUR)
    • March 19: Match No. 5-306 Eczacibasi VitrA ISTANBUL (TUR) vs. Savino Del Bene SCANDICCI (ITA)

All those matches will be played in Maribor. It's weird that they will play two very important matches in two days

• Travel two time's to Germany in the venue in which guest are like home.

Logical as hell, it doesn't matter if they would again kick their ass it is not fair for Conegliano.

• GREAT !!!!

Great and logical move by CEV. :drink:

Fair battle, even if my times lose 3:0 at least it is FAIR battle.

• Travel two time's to Germany in the venue in which guest are like home.

Logical as hell, it doesn't matter if they would again kick their ass it is not fair for Conegliano.

While I certainly wouldn't expect Conegliano to travel to Germany again, I don't think it would have been much different than travelling to Slovenia...

• While I certainly wouldn't expect Conegliano to travel to Germany again, I don't think it would have been much different than travelling to Slovenia...

Yes but Stuttgart again has home adventeg, because they are playing in there venue.

This is Stuttgart but it could be any other team.

• As a Conegliano fan, I didn't find fair to qualify in this way. It's such a shame that the clubs didn't find a solution to the problem and playing the second match in Stuttgart without crowd wouldn't probably have affected the final result.

• As a Conegliano fan, I didn't find fair to qualify in this way. It's such a shame that the clubs didn't find a solution to the problem and playing the second match in Stuttgart without crowd wouldn't probably have affected the final result.

Would you say the same thing if they are playing against some Turksih clubs ?

• It's easier to say this with teams like Stuttgart ofc, but I don't want to be favored neither by playing only a match.

I agree, but playing in Maribor would be perfect as Fener, Novara, Scandicci and Eczacibasi agreed.

• A good decision to cancel Conegliano-Stuttgart I think. Much better than making both teams travel abroad to play another 3:0 match in these exceptional circumstances.

I guess the other matches will be played behind closed doors? I can't imagine the Slovenian health services allowing Italian fans at least. But two weeks is a long time, it's still quite possible the plans will need to be changed again...

• First of all, regardless of venue and audience I'm convinced, that Conegliano would win the second leg against Stuttgart also 3:0. What's a pity is, that our players can't exercise again with this high end opponent to learn something. Indeed, we are by far the most poor team in the quarters and can't afford extra costs like this for now. Remember, that all other teams in the quarters have budgets at least four times of us (estimated, some of them have even much more than that, up to seven times, I guess)...

• The press release from Stuttgart only states that Conegliano didn't accept the proposal of playing another match in Stuttgart, they don't elaborate it any further...

Okay, that is a little of the kind waving the white flag by Stuttgart, of course, this is realistic, but not satisfying in sports.

• Sad decision for Stuttgart but I agree it's the one that makes more sense... Since Conegliano doesn't want to play in Germany again,their other options would be to come up with money they don't have or play in Italy and risk quarantine and they probably know neither is worth risking to probably end up being swept anyway.In my opinion it "hurts" both teams' names for different reasons,not just Stuttgart.

• Sad decision for Stuttgart but I agree it's the one that makes more sense... Since Conegliano doesn't want to play in Germany again,their other options would be to come up with money they don't have or play in Italy and risk quarantine and they probably know neither is worth risking to probably end up being swept anyway.In my opinion it "hurts" both teams' names for different reasons,not just Stuttgart.

I think, that Conegliano (and likely the other six teams in the quarters too) can't imagine, how poor our Allianz MTV Stuttgart team really is compared to the others in the quarters.

• Germany is such a rich country and hosted a lot of european qualifiers, but their teams still decrease their budgets... Dresden was soo much stronger a couple of seasons ago.

• Germany is such a rich country and hosted a lot of european qualifiers, but their teams still decrease their budgets... Dresden was soo much stronger a couple of seasons ago.

We are increasing the budgets, at least Stuttgart, Schwerin and even Dresden, and also a number of other teams. But the costs are increasing at least in the same pace, so it is still difficult for our German clubs, which don't get the adequate financial support in a pure soccer, but no general teamsports country like Germany.

A short background for Stuttgart, where I know it well:

when deciding for the first time to take part in CL in 2016, team Europe was founded to get a little more money for that adventure. With only 1.2 million Euro total budget this campaign ended with 200.000 Euro additional debt.

The following two years CEV allowed Stuttgart to decline CL participation for financial reasons, it would have been only increased the debt even more - 2019 they didn't allow it anymore and our biggest sponsors and team Europe could afford just enough money, to finance this really for the first time, thanks to quarterfinal participation it was even a small plus at the end.

2020 season saw a couple of issues not seen one year ago: setter problems (expensive), also OH injury (Thompson, also expensive) and even more expensive hiring of OH Simone Lee in this year (essentially some of us paid the club additional money to enable it).

Now a really expensive switch of return match venue combined with bankruptcy of a not too small sponsor, when accepting
    it, the debt would have been even higher after this season (not sure how it figures now, but I fear, not very good). The German league checks always financial situation of its clubs, so we would have a big issue by accepting even more debt, by the way.

This is the sad reality. So this decision was right, despite it might have caused tears by some players of Stuttgart - this is no nice way to bail out of this competition of course. Losing fairly again to Conegliano was their desire...

Generally speaking, every German clubs eligible to play CL is seriously checking every time, if they can afford the financial burden for it every year.

• Turkish fans attackking conegliano again for not choosing option 1! Bitches it's not fair! U want them to travel again to germany? It doesn't matter if there are audience or not! The plan is for stuttgart to play in italy and they didn't accept that.

Now exciting how eczacibasi will play against scandicci, saw kim practising, they must be happy that the match was delayed and that they have plenty of time to practise and adjust. Great job,

• Turkish fans attackking conegliano again for not choosing option 1! Bitches it's not fair! U want them to travel again to germany? It doesn't matter if there are audience or not! The plan is for stuttgart to play in italy and they didn't accept that.

Now exciting how eczacibasi will play against scandicci, saw kim practising, they must be happy that the match was delayed and that they have plenty of time to practise and adjust. Great job,

Oh,please stop. You're not achieving anything with your posts other than make yourself sound ridiculous.Yeah, the virus and all the chaos that it caused across the entire globe was in reality a trick to give ECZ and Kim the time to recover and practice.I agree,ECZ would have no chance to beat Scandicci without Kim and must have viewed this coronavirus situation as a godsend gift...It's not like ECZ has one of the best players in the world on its roster...

Oh wait...

Sounds like lame excuses are ready for Scandicci's elimination 😂

While Italy is such threat to public health how can you blame Stuttgart for not traveling there?:what: might be a surprise for you but some clubs DO care about their players health:aww: