Turkey - Vestel Venüs Sultanlar Ligi - 2019/2020

• It is also said in case of withdrawal, there won’t be new addition. I hope teams that are not going to invest will withdraw so that we won’t see another Besiktas and Beylikduzu.

BJK sent a formal thank you to TVF, it seems they at least want to take part again.

Meanwhile Galatasaray is against the decision and wants the league to continue and be finished in a regular way :what:

• No a team from Izmir??I thought it is a rich place?No?

They don't really invest too much in volleyball. There are some teams from Izmir in Division 1 but not in Sultans league. I want to see a team from Izmir as well.

I want to see a Izmir team as well!!

Meanwhile we do have a team from the Aegean region at least in Aydin BBSK and sometimes ppl also count Çanakkale so Kale 1957.

Kuzeyboru otoh.......should be interesting. ahaha

• Correct me if I'm misunderstanding this but ... Seems weird that for the last year or two there was this "Ebrar is the shiny new Gui protege" vibe going on. He treated her with tough love, or something, but now appears to have abandoned her. Was he wrong in his wisdom or wrong in his approach?

• I hope teams wont invest much wont play in Sultanlar Ligi. Besiktas, Karayolları, Beylikdüzü were all hopeless last year. 16 teams are too much and Turkey doesnt have so many local players to provide a good level league consists of 16 teams. I wish federation would make a team like 'Club Italia' to invest on young prospects. 14 teams are somehow acceptable but not 16. The economics in Turkey and all over the world is getting worse and it is getting harder to invest in sports. By the way I wish Aydin would play in European Cups. They are building a good team with quality local players and they have good foreign players too. Except big 3, THY and Aydin has good teams. Even though there were roumors Galatasaray wont invest much I am sure they will have a decent team as well. Nilufer always makes good choices for the foreigner spot (there are roumors Van Ryke will play in Nilufer and I hope Helena will stay too).

The limit for the foreigner should be 4 to make local players go to other teams rather than sitting on bench in big clubs. This way big clubs wont have necessary to have talented local players in their bench. However this is very unlikely before the Olympics.

• When Italy won the 2002 WCH there wasn't any foreigners limitation in Serie A1, if I'm not wrong. Strong players will be on court, no matter what. If a Federation can't afford 4 foreign players on its club teams, it means there's something wrong in their local schools, which is not the case, considering how many medals Turkey has won along the last 10 years with its junior and youth teams.

• Correct me if I'm misunderstanding this but ... Seems weird that for the last year or two there was this "Ebrar is the shiny new Gui protege" vibe going on. He treated her with tough love, or something, but now appears to have abandoned her. Was he wrong in his wisdom or wrong in his approach?

Hard to answer. He is a hard coach who expect 100% from his players all the time and when they don’t give it, he doesn’t hesitate to use his other players. He never gives a guaranteed spot to any players. He even sent Sheila to bench for a whole season. He always had two good foreign OHs in his team even when he had Gozde who was best local OH at the time. Even when one of the foreign OH underperformed and Gozde played good and got her spot, he brought another good foreign OH in front of Gozde and I believe he wants Ebrar to work hard as Gozde did so that she can grab her spot but it seemed it wasn’t working last season.

Another story is he insisted using Ebrar as OH and according to some users here she said on social media that she doesn’t like playing OH and wants to be full time OPP. He didn’t give any chance to Ebrar as OPP, not even once for whole season. We don’t know the whole story there but I feel like Vargas becoming Turkish might be true and he might be giving Ebrar a chance because it is not like Turkey has a dominant OPP who won’t give Ebrar a chance for the next decade.

Ebrar has potential but it is not like she achieved something. She has a long way to go and she really needs to work so much and so hard. When she first got some attention in junior level in 2017, people went crazy and demanded Giovanni to take her to ECH and give her starting spot. So we can also say people are a bit overreacting. I hope she can play full time next season and show us what she got.

• Thanks. I'm not sure I get this part:

I feel like Vargas becoming Turkish might be true and he might be giving Ebrar a chance because it is not like Turkey has a dominant OPP who won’t give Ebrar a chance for the next decade.

Do you mean he may be giving Ebrar a chance, by letting her go to THY, to see if she's really at the scoring level of the Big OPs, Bosko and so on? He just doesn't want to chance it with his team?

It's tough when your only real skill is scoring --which is an overrated skill if you ask me :)

I'm cool with the "I don't want to be an OH" thing. Solid reception may be beyond reach, and/or she just doesn't like hitting from the left side of the court. If she knows that about herself, that's a good thing. But she could improve in other areas, like controlling her swing or blocking. She's still young though.

• btw the 'I don't wanna be an OH thing' is only a rumour and afaik a false one also, I have never seen any proof of it... I do remember her saying she wants to help the team in every way she can and wants to improve herself in every aspect of volleyball as much as she can.

Which would actually even be contradicting with the claims people make.

• it is also just a rumor, Melissa Vargas from Fenerbahce who is Cuban rumored to become Turkish so she will be the OPP and Ebrar will have her chance in the starting six only if she become OH.

She can prove a lot of things playing in THY as OPP but for Giovanni, it won’t mean Ebrar can come back and become a starter in Vakifbank immediately because what matters is what she shows in Vakifbank practice which is true at the end of the day. Giovanni wouldn’t be afraid to let Ebrar play over any other player but only if she deserves. He did it in the past and he could do it again. There must be some tension going on there that we don’t know.

Gizem Orge, libero of Vakifbank, was asked “who is the laziest player in your team?” and she answered “Ebrar definitely, she only wants to spike and for all other things she is just lazy and doesn’t want to do it” which can be seen in Ebrar’s game to be honest.

• Yeah, a couple explosive personalities. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors. I think we may all be a little unsure of how important practice sessions are for a coach when they make decisions.

I'm also still puzzled by where Gui's priorities are with regards to Vakifbank v NT, and how they merge.

I want Ebrar to succeed. I'm usually doubly partial to someone who starts off in my doghouse (kicking balls, titty-wiggling, etc) and redeems themselves to some extent. I hope Altinli has the inside scoop and Ebrar shows up in practice

• Excuse me, but if you don't give a chance to someone to show herself, how do you expect that she achieve something? People went crazy when they saw Ebrar because they are desperate. Turkey doesn't have the luxury to sit their young talent on the bench. especially for the opposite position. They don't have Boskovic or Egonu. She needs to be ready after Meryem.

Ebrar told by herself that she doesn't want to play OH on TV. She wants to play an opposite but she said that also the things are not work as she wants. She asked Giovanni for opposite spot for NT but she has been answered by him that he doesn't know so she needs to prepare in both position which is OH and OP. She said also she confused because of this situation. One day you wake up as an OP and the next day you are an OH. Playing in different position all the time makes young player tired. Even Hande said almost same thing.

In Vakifbank she never played as OP in this season while Haak was performing bad in first half of the season and When Haak rested Gozde Yilmaz played as OP instead of her.

Nobody improves by sitting on the bench. Ebrar has a big potantial but it means nothing if she doesn't play. If Boskovic, Egonu and even Haak have come to these days and announced their names, this is not only because they are talented but because they are constantly playing and improving themselves.

In Turkey the situation for young players are different than the other countries. The players who under 23, are not allowed to go different club without their main clubs permission, so they can't decade by themself. Ebrar wants to play, fortunately she will play in THY for the next season.

And about being lazy, Gozde was asked which foreign player was the best that she worked with, she said Glinka and Zhu. but Zhu was too lazy, she answered. But this laziness thing does not come from volleyball i guess. 2-3 years ago somewhere in Vakifbank interviews, I remember that players said that Zhu is the most sleeping person in the team. She was sleeping during her free time. So that's why Gozde might gave an answer like this. Same thing about Ebrar, in NT interview players also said that Ebrar is most sleeping person.

“Ebrar definitely, she only wants to spike and for all other things she is just lazy and doesn’t want to do it” that's why she must play as an OP. Just give her what she wants. Pushing her to play in the differrent position that she doesn't like, and judging her for not being succesfull is kinda unfair to me. My point of view, she handle of being OH this season for her age.

I hope she can be succesfull like the others. Wish her a luck.

• well, he did give some chances to Ebrar and there were times she played well and there were times she didn’t. It must be not enough for Giovanni at the end of the day to give her a starting spot. According to your post, you kind of underestimate Haak but she announced her name and got attention by playing regularly for the last 3 seasons prior to coming Vakifbank, Ebrar never showed what Haak showed. And yes, I want Ebrar to play and become really good.

Regarding being lazy, when your teammates call you lazy for sleeping outside of practices, it just mean you like sleeping. But when they call you lazy because you don’t like working out, that is alarming. Those two are not the same thing unless you start sleeping during practice lol

Gozde said Zhu needs to work in herself a lot and she needs to learn a lot of thing. I am sure she needs to learn a lot of things about volleyball but what Gozde really meant was

outside of court volleyball related thing. She said Zhu needs to practice English and become more active with other people if she wants to become better.

• I totally agree with QPL the decision made by TVF is ridiculous!

What they do is, they consider 1st division results as legit and give the 4 teams promotion while abolishing the results from Sultan ligi and not relegating Beylikdüzü and Beşiktaş.(I think it wasn't even mathematically possible for Beylikduzu not to relegate in the case that regular season games would have proceeded) These two cannot be done at the same time. There should be consistency in their decisions. Either relegate both Beylikdüzü and Beşiktaş based on the regular league results and promote 4 teams or do not promote any teams since the league hasn't finished officially and do not relegate any teams. Either cases have some arguments to defend but there's no logic to both promoting 4 teams and not relegating any teams:down:

• About Motta, I've recently watched an Instagram interview of Simge Aköz, she praised to Motta a lot. She thinks he is a great coach and is a father figure to his players. She said working with Motta is very different than working with Guidetti. Guidetti can play mind games and demoralize you terribly one day and motivate you incredibly other day, so it is like rollercoaster but with Motta, you definitely know if he likes you or not

All in all it sounded like people really enjoy being trained by Motta (simge even said that she offered Motta to do his grocery shopping for him during lockdown:lol:)

• well, he did give some chances to Ebrar and there were times she played well and there were times she didn’t. It must be not enough for Giovanni at the end of the day to give her a starting spot. According to your post, you kind of underestimate Haak but she announced her name and got attention by playing regularly for the last 3 seasons prior to coming Vakifbank, Ebrar never showed what Haak showed. And yes, I want Ebrar to play and become really good.

Regarding being lazy, when your teammates call you lazy for sleeping outside of practices, it just mean you like sleeping. But when they call you lazy because you don’t like working out, that is alarming. Those two are not the same thing unless you start sleeping during practice lol

Gozde said Zhu needs to work in herself a lot and she needs to learn a lot of thing. I am sure she needs to learn a lot of things about volleyball but what Gozde really meant was

outside of court volleyball related thing. She said Zhu needs to practice English and become more active with other people if she wants to become better.

When he did that? Could you please give an example? Even she perform well, she benched easily.

and I am gonna say it again if you don't give your young talents, how do you expect them to show theirself?

I didn't underestimate Haak. I just include her name beside Boskovic and Egonu. I used ''even'' for a word because Haak is far from them.