Set 2 Set 3 Set 4 Set 5 Total Stats Vid
    NEC 03 Okayama 19-25 10-25 26-28 55–78 Stats YT
    Toyota 3–2 PFU 25-14 19-25 25-17 23-25 15-12 107–93 Stats
    Kurobe 0–3 JT 14-25 17-25 24-26 55–76 Stats
    Himeji 3–0 Hisamitsu 25-22 25-20 25-23 75–65 Stats
    Hitachi 0–3 Denso 23-25 20-25 20-25 63–75 Stats YT
    Toray 3–1 Saitama 21-25 25-20 25-13 25-21 96–79 Stats YT

Well now ... :)

NEC has a better record thus far, but Okayama is a better team. Sarina Koga = 7/42 @16%. I love her to death but when will this humiliation end? Why is she a Preexisting Condition? NEC is one of the only teams in the league flopping around with different lineups every match, except for Koga. They are over-rostered without a clear core. They are 5–2, which is an improvement over last year, so maybe this flippy-floppy game plan will reveal a core 7 to take it to the end. YOLO came in mid set 2 and hit well (8/17), but overall she is not standing out this debut year like I was hoping for her. Her reception is mid-50s. She's better than that. Okayama is mightily improved from last year. Same great defense--unmatched in the league--but what has kicked them up a notch is 1) their reception is way up--First in the League @64%--and 2) Sanae Watanabe OP and Syuka Kaneda OH are bringing it, consistently. Watanabe is killing it up the middle, often. Nice new move. They're still last in serve and blocking--always will be--but are hands down the team with the most entertainment value <3

PFU lost twice last night, once in the 4th set and then again in the 5th set. It was weird. I'm worried about Toyota. They're still atop the league, having only lost to JT, but they came out like pros and ended up skid marks last year. I don't want to see that again.

JT, with their own immaculate reception sort of bullied Kurobe. Hickman Jahstice 13/30, one error, played instead of Kotona Hayashi. She looks pretty solid. JT looks pretty solid. I think they end up taking the Star Conference.

HimejiHimejiHimeji. I'm going to pretend this victory over Hisamitsu is a sign they have arrived more than a sign that Hisamitsu has completely collapsed, because Hisamitsu looked like the same team, albeit a little flat-footed, while Himeji looked like a new and different team. Ivna Colombo's scoring (23/47) brought them victory, but team serving lead them there. Only two service errors on the night. Wowsers. The confidence they showed in serving infused the rest of their game. They looked like an actual V1 team. Kanasugi still kinda sucked, but she did bring the clown. If she gets her scoring act together Himeji will be a thorn no one (except me) expected. They can't depend on Ivna,. She's not consistent. Preexisting Condition Riho Sadakane OH is solid but not solid enough to float to the top. Nao Horigome (S) sported a new, advanced hairstyle technique thing. She is the most awesome player in the league. I'm not sure (because we can never know anything about these kinds of things), but I think she was supposed to be the backup setter behind Miki Sakurai who lead things this summer. Sakurai has not suited up yet this year. Maybe Coach Takeshita said: "Hey! Nao! You look like me, we're both pint-sized little bullets, let's get busy" <3

Denso, the only undefeated team left. I still can't believe they are doing this with Minami Nakamoto and Rei Kudo on the wings, full time --although Reina Tokoku played for Kudo last night. It's gotta be Tashiro. She looks like the most pro setter in the league. She has eliminated any vestige of foreign-middle-blocker-dork-timing from Sinéad, and with Kotoe and Yurie feeding her passes she's making Nakamoto and Kudo look like starters. It's unbelievable. They still have Yui Asahi, Nana Sakamoto, The Denso Bomber, and Trần Thị Thanh Thúy waiting in the wings. No sign of Mai Okumura. I hope she is Okay. And still no sign of Riho Otake. Fumika Moriya (Hisamitsu alum) filled in adequately. Denso is a ridiculous team this year. Hitachi is one of those teams that is so much better than their W-L record.

Didn't see the Toray v Saitama match. Ai Kurogo 7/20 is back. I'm disappointed in Saitama. I love their lineup. A lot. I prefer Misaki Inoue at setter over Tominaga, though. A lot. I'm not a Yuri Yoshino OH fan but she is delivering solidly--highest non-MB (non-foreigner) batting average in the league.

• Can someone explain me what is happening with Hisamitsu this season?

It's inexplicable. One could point out that Fabiana's numbers aren't what Foluke's were, or that overall their kill% is way down. And you could probably blame this all on the new setter, Ayano Kojima, who used to play for them (took a couple years off for baby and marriage). Chizuru Koto retired this summer. That's a blow but she really only came in and played the second half of the season last year. Erika Sakae is serviceable, if ghostly. Risa and Yuki haven't really had a day off since forever. Maybe they are tired. I doubt it, but one could use it as an excuse. Others do.

• Himeji has signed a new player, Ayako Kawano, who's still in college --TWCPE. No announcement yet, and she's not on Himeji Home page (although she is listed on Himeji's V.League page). She came in as a serve sub and got to play a few plays, in Set 3, no less, otherwise she handed out towels. She was just beaming with "Look Ma! I'm in the big Leagues". So cute :rose:Her towel-handing-out was some of the best I've seen. Double :rose::rose:

She's a setter so that makes me think something might have happened to Miki Sakurai, who, as I mentioned above, appeared to be the one who was going to take over for Yuki Kawai, but Miki hasn't rostered up yet this year.

Speaking of not rostering up ... Where is Kurobe's Ranna Shiraiwa? She won the Fresh Meat Award in Summer League and I called her out as my new Kurobe Hero after the tear-inducing exodus of Beavis and Butthead.

• Denso has lost only two sets in six seven matches so far this year (21/2). Other teams have played as many as ten matches. AC Warfare Leg starts next week. JT is probably their only worry, maybe Toyota. Denso plays better defense than most the Star Conference teams, so I'm not sure how much damage JT will be able to inflict. It should be a great matchup either way. Sunday, the 24th at 15:00 JST. Pray for a stream. It's nota VTV match.

If Denso beats JT, I won't be surprised if Denso go undefeated this year. It's super nuts to pull that off, and if Okumura is out for any length of time it will be harder, but better buckle up!

• I have noticed mostly asean imports aren't playing that much this season. Why club teams doing this? They have enough rosters and yest they still get 1 asean players and they put them in bench for life lol. 4t denso, thai in pfu, thai in jt, din in kurobe. I only see jaja from Philippine consistently playing in ageo since she started last season.

If they can't use them better don't get them because they might had better opportunities in other club teams aside from japan club and yet they declined them because of hoping they can have playing time in japan.

• I have noticed mostly asean imports aren't playing that much this season. Why club teams doing this? They have enough rosters and yest they still get 1 asean players and they put them in bench for life lol. 4t denso, thai in pfu, thai in jt, din in kurobe. I only see jaja from Philippine consistently playing in ageo since she started last season.

If they can't use them better don't get them because they might had better opportunities in other club teams aside from japan club and yet they declined them because of hoping they can have playing time in japan.

unless its written in their contract that they’ll have a sure slot in the starting 6, i dont see a problem with them being benched especially when other players are showing promise in their skills.

• Exchange battles next week! My team JT will first go head-to-head with NEC. I predict a 3-set win favoring the green and black.

I noticed in the statline yesterday that Annie Drews only got 16% of the sets (18/111) with a 44.4% (8/18) hitting. I think it was the coach’s strategy to try and not rely that much on her with offense so that the other positions, especially OH can comfortably hit those balls. We all know what Annie can do so it’s nice to see the other girls step it up in offense. I like Aika Akutagawa a lot as she is a good read blocker and moves fast when blocking. Not that tall but fast.

I was thinking about that, too, just today, but actually all of them except 4T have been playing--at least a little. I think 4T may still be nursing whatever injury kept her out of some ASEAN tournament recently. Besides that, Denso has a pretty solid roster to crack into. I mentioned above a few other very good Denso players who aren't playing.

Dindin and her sister went at it a week or two ago. That was fun. They both did well and I'd give Dindin trash talking rights even though she had less impact. I imagine Kurobe grabbed her because they were MB-challenged and then Natsumi Watabiki exploded unexpectedly.

Thanacha Sooksod has only recently cracked in and she's a gas. Big fun energy. More of her, please!

I'd like to see more of Kaewkalaya, as well, but JT's MBs are also doing well.

I'm generally opposed to players going to a team's bench just to train with them, BUT, some ASEAN girls could use a little more disciplined training. Japanese don't mess around. I think it will help them, even if it doesn't satisfy our desire to see them. The season's not over. Kaewkalaya didn't play much last year until the second half, and she played very well. I think we'll see more of her.

• I noticed in the statline yesterday that Annie Drews only got 16% of the sets (18/111) with a 44.4% (8/18) hitting. I think it was the coach’s strategy to try and not rely that much on her with offense so that the other positions, especially OH can comfortably hit those balls.

I was starting to get a little worried Annie was getting too many sets right out the gate for her. But it's slowed down a bit recently. Good for her, and good for the team.

Annie's at 371 swings (33 sets played), Tanaka at 327 swings (41 sets played), Hayashi 305 (31 sets played).

• Last years Ageo setter has better connection with the hitters compared to Tominaga.

Yeah, Misaki Inoue! V.League hidden gem.

• No streams :(

I'd rather see Denso v NEC but pretty much know how that will go.

I'm quite interested in seeing how Kurogo and Ishikawa will work together. On paper that should be a winning combination but you never know about the chemistry. Reading the stats afterwards will tell me nothing :cursing:

• Stats :wall:

Kurogo: 1/13

Ishikawa 7/16

The two of them came to Toray from Shimokitazawa Seitoku High School.

Kurogo was there from 2014/15 - 2016/17 and won two Championships

Ishikawa was there from 2016/17 - 2018/19 and won nada after Kurogo left

• Reading the stats afterwards will tell me nothing :cursing:

Okay, so I lied :rolll:

Kurogo: 1/17 (3 fails), 2 blocks, 47% Reception on 19 catches

Ishikawa: 12/29 (1 fail), 2 blocks, 1 Ace, 80% Reception on 28 catches

That tells me Kurogo better strap in for the ride, or else she's just not 100% yet. This is only her second game back from whatever.

Jana was 21/35

Toray wins in three straight. That tells me Toyota better look for a setter and get ready for their skid

Next week will be completely different, of course :)

• unless its written in their contract that they’ll have a sure slot in the starting 6, i dont see a problem with them being benched especially when other players are showing promise in their skills.

It's okay to stay in bench like they did not even want them to play even just 1 set? Lol it's not okay at all. These players accepted the offer not just because of money but also they want to improve and show their skill. How they can prove to the coaches that they deserve to be in starting lineup if they have limited playing time? If the club team has deep or large pool like okayama then why they have to get another asean import and put them in bench.

• I don't know but for me it doesn't make sense of getting asean player and just put them in bench because other players are doing fine. I am not against Japanese having more playing time because that is what they want but if that's the case then stop getting asean import because they are also there to improve their skills. 4t is amazing player but she is stuck in bench wantching her team. Denso has like winning and winning and not giving other players a chance to play. I think they already have 1st 6 but why not do some adjustment and rotation sometimes yeah?

I heard din from kurobe was an opposite spikers in the Philippines, they didn't even do some research on her, she is slow in blocking and can't attack well probably because of timing, saw her Highlight as opposite and i think they can use her on that position instead of playing middle and doing nothing.

The two thais in jt and pfu are also in bench, maybe they are not doing good in training or maybe they want to reserve them in next round and i hope it's not yet too late for their team.

Santiago is also good but not sure why ageo is not winning that much when in fact they have two foreign players compare to other teams who has only 1 foreign.

• It's downright criminal to withhold illegal streams of these matches from me X(

I hope Okayama v Hitachi shows up. It's the best volleyball the V.League has to offer