Japan - V.League V1 (Division 1, Women) 2019-2020

• I already see shinnabe in watanabe xD the tip and the spikes. she's still young anyway hehe

She's really surprised me. I only met her last season and I thought she was going to be one of those fan favorite players just because she's cute :rolll: She doesn't hit very hard --I think she's still occasionally unsure of which arm to swing with :huh::) -- but she's got great sense of doing that thing where she "puts" the ball somewhere.

• NEC takes Set 3. They've upped their game. And, frankly, Okayama played bad. Kaneda still hasn't woken up

• NEC might take this to a Tie Break 8| Shimamura has made them solid. Koga's hitting well now, too.

Okayama has lost spirit here. Defense is still there but offense got lost. OHs at 30%, Watanabe at 45% as par usual. Kaneda's worst game I've seen.

Story of Himeji's life over on Facebook. Leading until 20, then losing :(

• Mizuki Ugajin (C) came in and righted the ship for Okayama. That's what she does. Not that Miyashita was doing bad. They just needed Ugajin to come in and not smile. And strangely, Yoshioka finished for Watanabe.

• Mako Shiina looked like a deer in headlights a couple matches ago when she debuted. Now she looks quite fit and ready to go. She's fighting for Yuka Sato's spot, who I also like. I didn't see Mako coming. I thought Ami Wakamatsu was the up and coming teenager.

• Okayama clinched their Final 8 spot today.

A win by Hisamitsu or a loss by Himeji puts Victorina in the Challenge 4.

A win by NEC and a loss by Hitachi clinched a Final 8 berth for NEC.

Rivale needs wins at this point to even attempt a comeback to make the playoffs. 4 to play nearly even on points with Hisamitsu, but 2 wins back with 2 fewer games to play than the Springs.

Hitachi has 6 5-set matches but 1-5 in those matches. If they were 3-3 they’d be ahead of the Springs on points.

• The entertainment value of Hisamitsu getting relegated to V2 would be off the charts :rolll:

But on a serious note, I wonder what impact, if any, this demoralizing Hisamitsu performance will have on the NT. Yuki and Risa, and Nana to some extent, are the core of the NT. Kurogo has her own drama going on at Toray (which I'm completely making up but still think it's true). Will all this drive them to be better or will it drag them down?

• No vtv tonight :(

• The entertainment value of Hisamitsu getting relegated to V2 would be off the charts :rolll:

But on a serious note, I wonder what impact, if any, this demoralizing Hisamitsu performance will have on the NT. Yuki and Risa, and Nana to some extent, are the core of the NT. Kurogo has her own drama going on at Toray (which I'm completely making up but still think it's true). Will all this drive them to be better or will it drag them down?

was wondering the same thing. but i think nakada will keep them anyway :rolll: maybe some new face haha

what drama kurogo has? :what:

• what drama kurogo has? :what:

Oh ... I'm making all this up but she looks freaked by Ishikawa stealing her limelight. Kurogo plays better when people love her. I'm not sure if she is feeling love. I fear a downward spiral. We'll see.

• Oh ... I'm making all this up but she looks freaked by Ishikawa stealing her limelight. Kurogo plays better when people love her. I'm not sure if she is feeling love. I fear a downward spiral. We'll see.

they were teammates in high school, but Kurogo was the captain and the star of the team at the time. Mayu became the captain after Kurogo left to Toray.

Both will be needed in the national team in the future.

Hisamitsu will not be dropping to V2, still much better than PFU and Kurobe.

As for the national team, Nana has never screamed to me I need to be on this team. She just seems on the court but does not give you a ton of points. She has a presence, but the execution is a little lacking when compared to Erika Araki. Ishii is a player that will be necessary and Risa can slot into passing anywhere, just not a ton of points. So a spot sub when needed.

Kurogo is basically a leader that the NT needs, but I don’t know if she’s ready to lead older women.

• they were teammates in high school, but Kurogo was the captain and the star of the team at the time. Mayu became the captain after Kurogo left to Toray.

That's why I think it's gnawing a little bit at Kurogo. She won two championships, Ishikawa didn't make the Finals. Kurogo had to wait a year and a half to get court time with Toray (the Saoris were still there), Ishikawa started playing right out of H.S., and won two MVPs and two Gold Medals. Ishikawa's trajectory went up, fast. Kurogo's, I dunno.

A year ago+ Kurogo looked like she might be the shining beacon of Japan (maybe just by default because no one else was stepping up).

Watching them on court together NOW, Kurogo looks meek, Ishikawa looks tough as nails. Ishikawa is clearly outplaying her. She's developing a very tough serve, she's growing her game. She might be one of the only Japanese players who can terminate an out of system ball. Ishikawa is a little more error prone than Kurogo, and quite a bit shorter, but way more aggressive and confident.

Kurogo has been Out of the Office with injury the past year more than clocked in. That may explain a lot of it.

• Japan is a Captain-challenged nation :rolll:

Seems there are two kinds of Captains: those that play a lot and lead by example, and those that don't play and do something in the background, I guess.

In the V.League, Japan has mostly the latter, and almost none of the former:

Premier Conference Captains

Hisamitsu Springs - Yuki Ishii takes over from Nana Iwasaka

Denso Airybees - Yurie Nabeya takes over from Mika Yamada (R)

NEC Red Rockets - Misaki Yamauchi takes over from Mizuki Yanagita

Hitachi Rivale - Maiha Haga takes over from Miya Sato

Okayama Seagulls - Mizuki Ugajin takes over from Mai Yamaguchi (R)

Victorina Himeji - Sakie Takahashi takes over from Yuki Kawai (R)

Thumbs a little up to Yamauchi and Haga. Thumbs way up to Ugajin. She's the only one that, while a backgrounder, when she comes on court you know the Captain just came on court. Yamauchi kinda brings that. A little. I've been calling for her to be captain for a couple years.

Star Conference Captains

Toray Arrows - Mari Horikawa remains

JT Marvelous - Yuka Meguro takes over from Mako Kobata remains Captain. Meguro demoted to sub captain

Toyota Body Queens - Marina Shichi takes over from Saori Takahashi

Saitama Ageo Medics - Misaki Inoue takes over from Yuko Maruyama (R)

Kurobe AquaFairies - Saki Maruyama remains

PFU Blue Cats - Saori Uda

Marina Shichi? These are all good people, all backgrounders though, except Kobata. And but hey! What about that rule that liberos couldn't be captain?

Misaki Inoue should be a full time player leading by example but Saitama has another very talented veteran setter who, for whatever reason, gets a lot of playing time 8)

• Last night:

Hitachi v Himeji 3–2 [20-25, 27-25, 26-24, 25-27, 15-11] 113–112]

Three overtime Sets and a Tie-Break

That would have been tough for me to watch because of allegiances, but I wish I could have watched it. I'll watch it in 30 days without the cardiac drama I could have had watching it live. Thanks Japan. I hope your intellectual property is doing well :cursing:

Himeji is already eliminated but I want them to win anyway. They are my girls and better than their W-L record. They just don't know how to finish--which is what it's all about, I guess.

Hitachi needs wins to even dream of the Final 8. A 5 Set win wasn't their best outcome, but it helps.

Speaking of 30 days, the Hitachi/Okayama 5 set thriller just showed up. See ya later