South Korea - Women's V-League 2019-2020

• I actually got up and watched the first set before falling back asleep. The business end of that first set, especially after reaching 20, was exquisite volleyball. When I woke up I was sure I would read GS won it 3–1 ^^

Go KIXX :super:

GS was unlucky to lose the first set but they came back with full force. Good to see GS Caltex doing well this season. Ever since they won 2013/14 championship, they have only made the post-season once and that was last season. I like a lot of their young players as they are very exciting to watch.

I thought the star for Hillstate (at least in the first set) was HWANG Min-Kyung. Apparently she's a vet. I'm not familiar with her but she had some solid kills and some true aces

Hwang Min-Kyung did well in the 1st set but quieten down in the following three sets. Yeah she's a veteran, she was drafted by Expressway at the 2008/09 Draft so this is like her 12th season. Moved to GS Caltex as a reward player for Bae Yoo-Na before the 2016/17 season and then moved to Hyundai the following season as FA status player. She has previously represented Korea at NT level, with her last appearance at the 2018 Asian Game and 2018 AVC Cup. Good in defence and has a decent serve. Also handy in attack but sometimes struggle against the blockers due to her height.

The rookie that I mentioned Lee Da-Hyeon got 7 kills from 8 attempts in the 4th set (her first proper chance).

Hillstate has a problem with their jersey design. From the back it looks like they are wearing overalls, or some kind of weird girdle :thumbdown:

Is there someone I can talk to about this?

:lol: I think Hyundai have had this jersey design since 2017/18 season. I like the white version more than the dark blue. Overall, I do like the design but I would have prefer it if they had a more distinct V shape like the one on KGC uniform instead of |\___/|.

Beside the jersey, Hyundai have got another problem with their court. Hyundai have fork out a bit of money to have their team colours on the court at Suwon Gymnasium. But apparently the cameras are capturing the lights from the gymnasium reflecting off the new fluorescent green court and onto the players. You might have notice the players were a bit green from the photos and video of the Hyundai match against IBK. Some viewers are also finding it hard to watch the game due to the bright fluorescent green. Some Korean have jokingly commented that the players are like Shrek and Princess Fiona. Source: http://thespike.co.kr/article/view.php?no=12535

Btw, IBK has also changed the colour of their court too if anyone hasn't noticed.

This girl was awesome the other night as well:

:what:

I have no idea either why both Hi-pass and IBK are struggling so much this season.

I'm not very good at judging setters performances so I won't comment. I think the reason why they are rotating the setters is to give Lee Won-Jeong game time as I think she will become their main setter whenever Lee Hyo-Hee decide to retire.

The reason why Taylor didn't play in the 5th set against KGC was because she had some kind of abdominal injury.

IMO Park Sang-Mi seem to be doing a better job in the libero position for IBK. I have to say Kim Hee-Jin is playing rather poorly.

wow... I think It's the first time Yang Hyo Jin is not on Top 5 Block list, Lee Da Young is in instead... I think the last match vs Kixx ruined YHJ stats, where she performed poorly

Kixx attacking players dominate the spike, serve, and block lists.

Round 2 will be more interesting, I hope....

Same here, I think this might be the season that she will not be number 1 in block ranking at the end of the season. I think the match against Heungkuk also stuffed up her stats too. I just remembered there are two rookie setters that are taller than Da-Yeong. I wonder how good their blocks are.

Yeah, I hope it will be more interesting and competitive too. I don't want to see one team completely collapsing and giving away cheap sets.

• Same here, I think this might be the season that she will not be number 1 in block ranking at the end of the season. I think the match against Heungkuk also stuffed up her stats too. .

This is definitely her worst season so far (blocking-wise)

If I'm not mistaken last season Hillstate didn't won a single match in the first 2 rounds (0-10), but she still topped the block list each round... ....She even on the spike list.... at the end of the season she still got the top MB award....

So yeah, it will need her much hardwork to be the top blocker this season....harder than the usual....

• I just watch abit of the highlights on hipass vs hyundai. park jeongah and ha hyejin is playing middle? weird. didnt see taylor play. did she get some play time at all? seems like hipass is trying to figure out position still. no bae yoona, anyone knows? the long rally was awesome between both teams hahaha

• The rookie that I mentioned Lee Da-Hyeon got 7 kills from 8 attempts in the 4th set (her first proper chance).

This is my favorite thing, when a rookie/youngster gets a chance and delivers. She was so happy and delighted. It was beautiful <3

• This is my favorite thing, when a rookie/youngster gets a chance and delivers. She was so happy and delighted. It was beautiful <3

Yup... and I just watch full replay of the last match Hillstate v Hi-Pass, she voted as the MVP of the match... She substituted Jung Ji-Hyun in the early 2nd set and didn't subtitute back. She keep playing till the end of the match.....

I just watch abit of the highlights on hipass vs hyundai. park jeongah and ha hyejin is playing middle? weird. didnt see taylor play. did she get some play time at all? seems like hipass is trying to figure out position still. no bae yoona, anyone knows? the long rally was awesome between both teams hahaha

No.. I didn't see Taylor at all.. Looks like she wasn't even in the roster... PJA mainly as MB, Ha Hye-Jin played mainly as OPP...

The long rallies happened in the end of 3rd set... They were really good rallies...

• KOVO Dodram V-League 2019-2020

Round 2 Match 1 (#41) - Expressway Corp. Hi-pass vs. Hyundai E&C Hillstate - November 9th, 2019

Highlights:

http://sports.news.naver.com/v…o&id=607551&redirect=true

Full Replay:

http://sports.news.naver.com/v…o&id=607553&redirect=true

Match Photos & Videos:

https://www.kovo.co.kr/media/32002_photo_view.asp?num=26222

http://thespike.co.kr/article/view.php?no=12617

Match Result:

Match Stats Summary:

MVP:

Achievements:

• Hyundai E&C becomes the 4th team to achieve 22,000 spike points with 45 from the match (now on 22,036).

Current Team Standings:

• Hillstate made so many errors... Yang HJ even made 3 times net-touch while blocking ,that I can recall.. Lee DY beside made service errors, her settings were also not good, many missed timing and position.. Without those errors, it could've been almost one-sided match like their first encounter in round 1...

Luckily for Hillstate, Hi-Pass couldn't make advantage of those errors...

No Bae YN, Moon JW and Taylor, Hi-Pass attack were not good either...

OOT: GS Kixx also have their own YT channel

• Tbh, I like Lee Dayeong's play better when she's with Korean NT than with Hyundai. I think she's still having a hard time trying to change her play from Lavarini style to Hyundai style. Both have very different approach.

And Hyundai's coach also need to give chance to the backup setter when LDY setting isn't working. Didn't she get rising star award or something during kovo cup? This coach really need to learn to trust her bench players.

• This is definitely her worst season so far (blocking-wise)

If I'm not mistaken last season Hillstate didn't won a single match in the first 2 rounds (0-10), but she still topped the block list each round... ....She even on the spike list.... at the end of the season she still got the top MB award....

So yeah, it will need her much hardwork to be the top blocker this season....harder than the usual....

A few good blocking performances from her will get her back on top. She has moved back into 5th with 0.57 blocks per set after yesterday match with Expressway Hi-pass.

I just watch abit of the highlights on hipass vs hyundai. park jeongah and ha hyejin is playing middle? weird. didnt see taylor play. did she get some play time at all? seems like hipass is trying to figure out position still. no bae yoona, anyone knows? the long rally was awesome between both teams hahaha

No.. I didn't see Taylor at all.. Looks like she wasn't even in the roster... PJA mainly as MB, Ha Hye-Jin played mainly as OPP...

The long rallies happened in the end of 3rd set... They were really good rallies...

In Round 1 against KGC, Ha Hye-Jin (HHJ) was also in the middle position so she would be replaced by the libero when she was at the back. Depending on who was upfront with HHJ would decide where she would be. When HHJ and Park Jeong-Ah (PJA) are at the front together, PJA would be in the middle and HHJ move to the left (OH side);

as they receive a serve, HHJ would be on the right, Taylor on the left and setter in the middle; afterwards HHJ moves to the middle and Moon Jung-Won (MJW) goes to the right.

In the match against Hyundai, it was the same with PJA in the middle but HHJ went to the right (OP side) instead.

The reason why PJA and HHJ are sharing the MB role is because Hi-pass head coach Kim Jong-Min (KJM) is not satisfied with the MBs backup whilst Bae Yoo-Na (BYN) is sidelined. BYN is currently in going through rehabilitation and is still recovering. The situation with BYN was mentioned previously by anoniminona12 (post) and myself (post) in last season thread.

In yesterday match against Hyundai, both Taylor and MJW were ruled out and did not come to the stadium. Previously, I said that Taylor had some kind of abdomen problem and this was why she wasn't playing in the 5th set against KGC. KJM has since said it was actually Taylor's waist and not her abdomen. KJM added that it was not serious. MJW who suffers from chronic knee and back pain was also out with a bad waist. It is not serious either and she will only be missing their match against Hyundai.

Source: http://thespike.co.kr/article/view.php?no=12609

This is my favorite thing, when a rookie/youngster gets a chance and delivers. She was so happy and delighted. It was beautiful <3

Yup... and I just watch full replay of the last match Hillstate v Hi-Pass, she voted as the MVP of the match... She substituted Jung Ji-Hyun in the early 2nd set and didn't subtitute back. She keep playing till the end of the match.....

I know it is still early but at this rate she will most likely get the best rookie award.

• Errors... IMO one their bad habits they can't seem to shake off. :mad::wall:

OOT: Yes, GS have had one for a while now. Actually all six teams have their own Youtube channel. Hyundai was the last one to open one up. Also, they each have an instagram account. If have previously added all the YT channel and instagram account links on the first page.

And Hyundai's coach also need to give chance to the backup setter when LDY setting isn't working. Didn't she get rising star award or something during kovo cup? This coach really need to learn to trust her bench players.

Same, I would like to see the backup setter Kim Da-In get some game time too. Yeah, she got the rising star award at this year KOVO Cup. Personally, I want to see how the backup libero Lee Yeong-Ju will do but she always gets used as a pinch-server.

To be fair, she has given Jeong Ji-Yun a lot of game last season and this season she is giving Lee Da-Hyeon the same chances. I think most of the Korean coaches are like her and will only give subs a chance is if the regulars/veterans players are playing consistently bad or the rookie is a standout.

• Pink Spider v Altos... few hours ago.

Altos still haven't improved... Pink Spider won them faster than in the 1st round....

• KOVO Dodram V-League 2019-2020

Round 2 Match 2 (#43) - Heungkuk Life Insurance Pink Spiders vs. IBK Altos - November 10th, 2019

Highlights:

http://sports.news.naver.com/v…o&id=608047&redirect=true

Full Replay:

http://sports.news.naver.com/v…o&id=608051&redirect=true

Match Photos & Videos:

https://www.kovo.co.kr/media/32002_photo_view.asp?num=26232

http://thespike.co.kr/article/view.php?no=12635

Match Result:

Match Stats Summary:

MVP:

Achievements:

• IBK Altos Kim Su-Ji becomes the 4th player to achieve 650 successful blocks with 2 from the match (now on 650).

Current Team Standings:

Upcoming Schedule:

• Pink Spider v Altos... few hours ago.

Altos still haven't improved... Pink Spider won them faster than in the 1st round....

Great find. :thumbup::thumbup:

heungkuk vs ibk

hahahaha I keep seeing 1 heejin and then 2 heejin hahahaha. jaeyeong was on fire today, blocks, serves, digs, my girl is all over!

:rolll: I'm guessing you are referring to Kim Hee-Jin's Mini-Me a.k.a. IBK #15 Moon Ji-Yun.

Jae-Yeong was awesome in this match. Both her spike efficiency 58.82% (=20/34) and her receiving efficiency 63.64% was really good too.

Kim Hee-Jin is back playing in the MB position but she is still struggling to score. Plus it gets worse for IBK...

News Update:

• The bad news for IBK, Pyo Seung-Ju is out injured and did not play in their Round 2 match against Heungkuk. From various articles, it was reported that she injured her ligaments (not sure which ligaments) in their last match against Heungkuk. Kim Woo-Jae confirmed she will need to rest for 2 weeks.

Sources: 1, 2, 3
  • Geez... I haven;t watched the full match. only provide link..:D

From the match stats, it's like Lee JY is the only one who seriously playing...Her points are more than double of all the other players on the court....

I think she's more and more like KYK back then... She really should going abroad when she's FA next year... She won't improve much if she stays in SK, unless she's already satisfied with her condition now....

next match : Kixx v KGC: battle of 2+ meter foreigners...

• You people, and your ultra high definition well produced replays of matches, that show up hours after the match has ended. It's not fair

• What's the rule of kovo for guest player fro asian country? I mean where there an asian player who already played in korea like from Thailand or japan. Are they considered a foreign player? Just wondering because unlike japan league they have this rule to allow asean player to play in club team.

• Special V Live with GS Caltex

1. Merete Lutz and Kim Yu-Ri with cameos from Kim Chae-Won and Han Su-Jin,

2. Han Soo-Ji and Moon Myoung-Hwa

3. Han Da-Hye and Park Hye-Min

4. Lee So-Young and Kang So-Hwi

5. Lee Go-Eun and An Hye-Jin

6. Kim Hyun-Jeong, Park Min-Ji and Han Song-Hui

• What's the rule of kovo for guest player fro asian country? I mean where there an asian player who already played in korea like from Thailand or japan. Are they considered a foreign player? Just wondering because unlike japan league they have this rule to allow asean player to play in club team.

The Korean V-League (KVL) does not have the same rule like the Japanese V-League for players from ASEAN countries. No players from Thailand or Japan has played in the KVL as far as I know. ASEAN countries players would be treated the same as any other foreign players.

There were some talks of adopting this rule in the media when a lot of the foreign players were getting injured but nothing else.

FYI, current KGC player, Lee Young was born in China but had to be naturalised before she could play in the Korean V-League.

• The Korean V-League (KVL) does not have the same rule like the Japanese V-League for players from ASEAN countries. No players from Thailand or Japan has played in the KVL as far as I know. ASEAN countries players would be treated the same as any other foreign players.

There were some talks of adopting this rule in the media when a lot of the foreign players were getting injured but nothing else.

FYI, current KGC player, Lee Young was born in China but had to be naturalised before she could play in the Korean V-League.

The Korean V-League (KVL) does not have the same rule like the Japanese V-League for players from ASEAN countries. No players from Thailand or Japan has played in the KVL as far as I know. ASEAN countries players would be treated the same as any other foreign players.

It would be exciting to adopt same rule as japan. In this case other asean/asian country will have a chance to play in high level of volleyball. As we could see in world ranking European and american dominate the world ranking, asian except china like korea, japan and thailand they are at lower rank. Allowing other asian players to play in this kind of league will improve the skills.