US NCAA Women's VB

• Yup - was following the match online; WIS fanatics don't know what to do after this one: 'cept try to justify their overarching hype before this loss! MU is good

• Marquette has been improving over the years in the Big East Conference. Wisconsin is still a good team. It is early in the season and they still have the brutal Big Ten schedule to face.

• With one more match to go (here in Hawai'i; started 19 minutes ago) -- Friday brought A LOT Of upsets around the country: particularly in the B1G. Here goes:

#4 Wisconsin was defeated TWICE, yesterday & today. They lost to Marquette 2-3 (+22, +22, -27, -30, -9), as reported by ThomasHH. THEN, they were beaten by #17 Baylor 1-3 (-21, +22, -25, -17) on Fri.

#5 Illinois was shocked, in 5 sets, by #16 Washington 2-3 (+22, -20, -20, +21, -10). T'was the third straight five-set match for ILL Therefore, they were WAY tired!

#18 Purdue was surprised by unranked Notre Dame in five (-16, +24, -22, +21, +12).

Away from the B1G:

#12 Kentucky was upset by #23 Creighton 1-3 (+23, -20, +18, +22). And then the Wildcats - probably rated as an underdog - beat #15 Usc 3-1 (+18,+22,-24,+19)

#21 Tennessee was swept by unranked Cincinnati (-18, -19, -23).

Finally, unranked Missouri swept #14 MICH. (+12, +13, +23) to top off the B1G's upsetting day of action (not the good kind)!

Those were the upsets in the Top25.

• Thompson is carrying Cincinnati so much. Should have gone pro.

Just went to a couple of sites to confirm that this is her final year in the NCAAs (Redshirt Senior). Perhaps - this is my guess - a diploma + degree matters more to her than commencing a professional career at this time. Her father (Tyrone) & uncle (Chris Doleman/ Minnesota NFL) both were pros, so she had guidance.

• I wonder what clubs have already contacted her, surely some had seen potential in her during the VNL

With her dad (University of Pittsburgh; Harlem Globetrotters; Euro pro leagues), & her uncle (Pitt; NFL) counselling her, I am sure that they're fielding multiple offers for her services if/when she wishes to turn professional (do believe that she's limited in her responses to such: still being an amateur (I think). We'll see!

• MINN is in serious poop without Seilger-Swenson. Same for ILL w/out Poulter/Bastianelli. BYU's 'toast'! Florida's way overrated: afa them, + the rest of the SEC, are concerned. Marquette has shown real glimmers of ascendancy.

From five days back...continues to be prophetic, no? *Edit*-- did not see Wisconsin tanking the way - and in the manner - that they did v. Marquette & Baylor!

• TOP-10 RESULTS 9/4 THRU 9/8 (will not be showing match scores (set-by-set) due to NCAAcom being behind in posting updates. Hard to get scores otherwise)

#1 Stanford: 9/4; defeated #7 FL 3-0, 9/8; defeated #3 TX 3-2 (I'll post the score since I followed the match on the SU site: -17, +18, +11, -21, +12: great match!)

#2 NEB: 9/6; defeated ARIZ 3-1, 9/7; defeated #25 SanD. 3-2

#3 TEX: 9/4; defeated #8 MINN 3-0, 9/8; beaten by #1 Stanford 2-3

#4 WISC.: 9/5 ; beaten by #11 Marquette 2-3, 9/7; beaten by #20 Baylor 1-3

#5 ILL.: 9/6; beaten by #16 WASH 2-3, 9/7; beaten by Colorado 0-3!

#6 PENN ST: 9/5 ; defeated IA ST 3-0, 9/7; defeated LSU 3-0

#7 FL: 9/4; beaten by #1 Stanford 0-3, 9/7; beaten by #8 MINN 0-3

#8 MINN: 9/4; beaten by #3 TX. 0-3, 9/7; defeated FL 3-0

#9 ORE: Idle

#10 PITT.: defeated OH ST 3-0, defeated Wis-Green Bay 3-0, defeated Duquesne 3-0

NOTE: as can be seen above Wisconsin, Illinois, & Florida All were defeated twice (out of 2 matches) over the past wk. TX swept MINN, which then swept FL.

• Gophers strikes back. 3:0 vs Florida. :love:

Nebraksa beat San Diego in Five

Tonight #1Stanford vs #3 Texas. The Match beginn at 21:00 Uhr CEST

This was humorous to me when I read it; being that here in Hawaii, said match began @ 9AM (not "tonight")! Have a friend in St. Gallen SWIZ: guess it is same 12-hour time difference where you are in GER. Have to remember that, during Daylight Savings Time, he's the opposite of the same number (AM-PM; PM-AM)