2019 Asian Women's Volleyball Championship (August 18–25, Seoul)

• The 2019 Asian Women's Volleyball Championship will be the twentieth edition of the Asian Women's Volleyball Championship, a biennial international volleyball tournament organized by the Asian Volleyball Confederation (AVC) with Korea Volleyball Association (KVA). The tournament will be held in Seoul, South Korea, from 18 to 25 August 2019. Top eight teams of this tournament will be qualified to 2020 AVC Women's Volleyball Olympic Qualification Tournament.

Source Wikipedia

Source AVC

• Japan Squad - Head Coach Noboru Aihara

Setter:

• #6 Nanami Seki (Toray) *
    • #7 Tamaki Matsui (JWCPE) 2019 Universiade main Setter *

Libero:

• #16 Rena Mizusugi (Toray)

Middle Blocker:

• #11 Nichika Yamada (NEC)
    • #15 Shion Hirayama (Hisamitsu)
    • #18 Kotomi Osaka (Toray) *
    • #9 Mai Irisawa (Hitachi Rivale) *

Wing Spikers:

• #10 Miyu Nakagawa (Hisamitsu)
    • #13 Haruna Soga (NEC)
    • #14 Mayu Ishikawa (Toray)
    • #17 Yuki Nishikawa (JT Marvelous)
    • #12 Minami Nishimura (Okayama)
    • #5 Miwako Osanai (Hitachi Rivale) *
    • #8 Yuri Yoshino (Saitama Ageo) *

This is essentially the U20 Champions Squad and Coach with some senior additions. There are two different setters and two additional MBs and OHs. They're in italics.

I can't contain myself :)

Source JVA

This is the "B Team" the JVA announced was going to play one of the Friendly Matches against Chinese Taipei. So this could be a misprint.

• Philippines and Vietnam withdraw and now they don't have any chance for Olympics. Kinda sad they won't play :(

• Why Japan is sending such a weak team?
    They didn't have to play at olympic qualification so they shoudn't be tired.

Japan doesn't need it to qualify for the qualification tournament so they take it lightly I guess. Maybe don't want to risk injury before WC? Personally, I couldn't be happier with the team they are sending.

• sitenoise

Changed the title of the thread from “2019 Asian Women's Volleyball Championship (August 17–25, Seoul)” to “2019 Asian Women's Volleyball Championship (August 18–25, Seoul)”.
  • I predict a Korea-Thailand final, which will be a preview of the Asian Qualifier match up later in January.

Philippines withdrew from Asian Women's Club Championship, U23 Championship, and this tournament as part of their plan to succeed in the Southeast Asian Games which they are hosts. They just wanted to keep their new American additions hidden from their opponents and instead sent the team to Korea/Japan for training. Bad move in my opinion.

https://www.philstar.com/sport…asian-volleyball-tourneys

• Why Japan is sending such a weak team?
    They didn't have to play at olympic qualification so they shoudn't be tired.

Why North Korea and Vietnam are not there?

It looks he is going to be Korea-Thailand final

This Japan team is clearly not weak at all, most of them are just back from Mexico with the U20 world champion title in their bags. And it's not the first time Japan sent their B team to this competition.

North Korea to play in South Korea? You're dreaming huh, lol.

Vietnam is certainly not interested in either Asia Championship or Olympic qualification as this nation's volleyball federation was more than willing to pay for the withdraw fine a few months ago. Similar to the Philippines, they take the South East Asia Games (Seagames) 2019 more serious, as well as the upcoming 2019 South East Asian Grand Prix.

And never look down on any Chinese team.

• Here is the Korean roster.

Outside Hitter [OH]:

• LEE So-Young (GS Caltex)
    • KIM Yeon-Koung (Eczacıbaşı)
    • LEE Jae-Yeong (Heungkuk)
    • PYO Seung-Ju (IBK)

Opposite Spiker [OP]:

• KIM Hee-Jin (IBK)
    • HA Hye-jin (Korea Expressway)

Middle Blocker [MB]:

• LEE Ju-Ah (Heungkuk)
    • PARK Eun-Jin (KGC)
    • KIM Su-Ji (IBK)
    • YANG Hyo-Jin (Hyundai E&C)

Setter [S]:

• YEOM Hye-Seon (KGC)
    • LEE Na-Yeon (IBK)

Libero [Li]:

• KIM Hae-Ran (Heungkuk)
    • OH Ji-Young (KGC)

Sources: 1, 2

In: YEOM Hye-Seon and PARK Eun-Jin

Out: LEE Hyo-Hee and JUNG Dae-Young

• if I'm not wrong, this is supposed to be the pre-qualifier for the Asian Olympic qualifiers with top 8 advancing. now 11 teams left and if we remove China and Japan. 8 out 9 will make it to that competition lol even though I'm quite sure some of them will withdraw.

• Although the Asian Championship is not as good as the European Championship, it represents the highest level of volleyball event in Asia. The Chinese women's volleyball team has won 13 championships in the history of the event, followed by Japan won 4 times, and the Thai team twice. As an old Asian platoon, the South Korean women's volleyball team has never won the Asian Championship, they won only 7 runner-ups. This year's Asian Championship is close to the FIVB Women's Volleyball World Cup. Both the Chinese and Japanese teams are likely to not send all the main players. This is a great opportunity for the South Korean team to top the event for the very first time.

For the 20th edition, the Chinese team has not yet announced its roster so far (09 Aug), yet many fans believe that the Chinese team will enter the semi-finals and may even play in the final.

As the FIVB Women's Volleyball World Cup will start in mid September, the schedule interval with the Asian Championships is less than 20 days, therefore Lang Ping may quite likely send the second NT to participate in the Asian Championships. In the last Asian Championship in 2017, it was the NT assistant coach Bao Zhuang who led the women's volleyball national team comprised of players from Yunnan and Henan teams, and the Chinese team eventually lost to South Korea 0-3.

After the Chinese team's successful campaign in the Tokyo Olympics Qualifying Tournament that earned the team direct qualification for the Tokyo Olympics, it is now team's top priority to prepare for the upcoming World Cup. Thus China may not send its strongest line-up to the Asian Championships.

CCTV Sports has released its live broadcast arrangement for this tournament:

- No live broadcast plan from August 18 ~ 22

- replay broadcast at 18:00 on August 23 [CCTV 5 Plus]

- Semi-final at 12:30 on August 24 [CCTV 5 Plus]

- Semi-final at 15:00 on August 24 [CCTV 5]

- Final at 15:10 on August 25 [CCTV 5]

Note: CCTV 5 is a free sport channel while CCTV 5 Plus is a premium (subscribed) sport channel in China.

• The Chinese Team already announced its 14-player list for the 2019 Asian Women's Volleyball Championship on August 10th.

OH: Liu Yan-han, Duan Fang, Zhang Yi-chan, Wang Yi-zhu

MB: Hu Ming-yuan, Yang Han-yu, Zheng Yi-xin, Zhang Yu

OP: Gong Xiang-yu, Du Qing-qing

S: Diao Lin-yu, Sun Yan

L: Lin Li, Ni Fei-fan

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

Edited 2 times, last by samsara ().

• This will be a good opportunity for the U20 players, hope they get some playing time. I've seen different rosters online these past few days and didn't know which one was true. Do you know who will be the coach?

The players performances for this competition may determine if they can make the World Cup or not. The middles will definitely be competing for that last spot.

• This Japan team will lose for sure from Korea and Thailand while they could have won competition sending A team.

• That one seems enough to beat Korea and Thailand

• This Japan team will lose for sure from Korea and Thailand while they could have won competition sending A team.

You may be right about that but I think the net gain sending the U20 squad is greater than winning the tournament --assuming, of course, they actually play. Those kids are winners, from HS, Asia U19, World U20. Let them find out what it feels like to lose :rolll: It'll be a growth experience, and good for Japan NT in the long run, I think.

Japan senior NT lost to China, Korea, Thailand a year ago. It's time to move on from that :super:

• This will be a good opportunity for the U20 players, hope they get some playing time. I've seen different rosters online these past few days and didn't know which one was true. Do you know who will be the coach?

The players performances for this competition may determine if they can make the World Cup or not. The middles will definitely be competing for that last spot.

Nope, the article I read mentioned nothing who would be the coach. Have not read again in Baidu.

Yeah, perhaps the 4th position of MB is not quite settled yet, still open for applicant :-)

Gong Xiang-yu has a unique position, which I don't really grasp. She's a firm member of the starting line-up (core NT), yet she's still being dispatched to event such as the Asian Championship, while her core teammates are preparing for the WC. I can only think that her presence is to beef up the team's OP position as an all-round player in the opposite post, and who knows, Lang may still want her to refine her skill set (but of course, she isn't under evaluation) :-) Gong has made a shiny performance since the 2018 WCH, she's a different player today (as well as Yuan Xin-yue, Zhang Chang-ning). My great pleasure to watch her ups!

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

Edited once, last by samsara ().