2019 Asian Women's Volleyball Championship (August 18–25, Seoul)

• Damn Dumpster to the rescue! Thanks, my friend :)

• These Korean commentators are like listening to verbal martial arts :)

• Du QQ is kind of having a game. Scored a few points. Korea takes the first set, though. Look out for Liu YH in set 2. She's going to be angry about it.

• Sun Yan needs to practice getting out of her wheelchair faster

• My Heroes

• 1st, gold medalist(s) 23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Japan MVP
    Mayu Ishikawa
    2nd, silver medalist(s) 23px-Flag_of_Thailand.svg.png Thailand Best Setter Nootsara Tomkom
    3rd, bronze medalist(s) 23px-Flag_of_South_Korea.svg.png South Korea Best Outside Spikers Mayu Ishikawa
    Kim Yeon-koung
    4 23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China.svg.png China Best Middle Blockers Nichika Yamada
    Yang Hanyu
    5 23px-Flag_of_Kazakhstan.svg.png Kazakhstan Best Opposite Spiker Haruna Soga
    6 23px-Flag_of_Chinese_Taipei_for_Olympic_games.svg.png Chinese Taipei Best Libero Piyanut Pannoy
    7 23px-Flag_of_Iran.svg.png Iran
    8 23px-Flag_of_Indonesia.svg.png Indonesia
    9 23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.svg.png Australia
    10 23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India
    11 23px-Flag_of_Hong_Kong.svg.png Hong Kong
    12 23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png New Zealand
    13 23px-Flag_of_Sri_Lanka.svg.png Sri Lanka
  • Congratulations to the Japanese, Thai and South Korean teams for the gold, silver and bronze medals respectively. The medal winners are in the exact order same as the previous edition, and the Chinese team achieved these results under the same coach, Bao Zhuang :-)

I felt bitter that the China sent such an awful team to the 2019 ACH. Upon watching the team played against the JPN squad in the last match of the second round, I stopped expecting the good performance from the CHN team. Imagine if they would just keep Gong Xiang-yu and Liu Xiao-tong (instead of Duan Fang and Zhang Yi-chan) along with Liu Yan-han just like the VNL Finals, then the team wouldn't perform so bad. Even though Diao Lin-yu couldn't match Yao Di's performance but she still played very decently. I feel bad that these late few years China did not send a proper team to this Asian event. Only last year did they send a full team to the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta (minus the injured ones). Well, of course an excellent performance in the World Cup will justify the decision to ditch the Asian highest level volleyball competition, the biennial Asian Championship or ACH (as the quadrennial ASIAN GAMES is a multisport event).

For the first time in 44 years, the Chinese team has failed to show up in the podium of the Asian Championship for the back to back editions! Said to be the worst achievement! I hope this bitter lesson will teach the decision makers in the Chinese team to give a more decent priority for the quality of the team dispatched to this tournament in future!

As about the Japanese U-20 team, again congratulation for the brilliant performance. They practically defeat the best squads of the host South Korean and Thai teams... the NT A (core), no excuse indeed… what an achievement from the world champion junior squad!

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

Edited 7 times, last by samsara ().

• sitenoise Who would you add and replace for the Japan A Team in the World Cup?

The Coach :)

Seriously. But it'll never happen.

Short answer is: OP Yolo (aka Haruna Soga) and MB Shion Hirayama. (As adds, not necessarily replacements. Mayu Ishikawa is already a Senior NT member and she might get more playing time this WC than Nabeya or Koga).

The long way to look at your impossible question :) is :: All or None :: Start with that and then ask "who would you add/replace to this squad"? The weak link with this U20 squad is 2nd OH, so if you added Ai Kurogo and/or Yuki Ishii to it you'd be on to something. I would seriously consider doing this (especially if Coach Aihara is the Coach).

Keep in mind this group of kids, more or less, have been playing together for the past few years and winning (more or less), at a level a step or two or three down from Serbia, China A or Italy, etc, but increasing. That chemistry means a lot. I think it would be an excellent idea to let them take the next step up the ladder of competition at this WC. Precisely because it's not the WCh or OG.

It's very difficult to look at it from the other direction (replacements to the Senior NT mano a mano):

OP ... Is Yolo better than Risa Shinnabe? No but not far behind. Yolo has only just turned 18!

MB ... Is Yamada better than Erica Araki? No, but closer to Iwasaka, maybe

MB ... Is Hirayama better than Okumura or Akitagawa? We're getting closer to a "maybe, almost".

OH ... Is Mayu Ishikawa better than Ishii or Kurogo? Is 173cm taller than 180cm? That's the bottom line.

Libero ... Is Rena Mizusugi better than Kobata or Inoue? No.

The Setter ... The U20 setter, Tsukasa Nakagawa, isn't available, and this position is a can of worms. Tashiro, Tominaga, and Miya Sato are about as good as Japan is going to get right now. But if we really deployed the U20-ish squad for the WC, I'd consider Miyashita and Saitama's Misaki Inoue. Miyashita because her defense fits perfectly and Inoue because she seems to me to be the best at working with diverse weirdo styles of attack (Yolo and Hirayama on the right/up the middle/from downtown, and Ishikawa with her desire for high sets on the left --Kurogo likes them, too). Misaki Inoue won the Summer League with all rookies against mostly standard club lineups. She deserves attention.

I'm not sure if Coach Nakata knows how, or would even want, to work with players like Yolo and Hirayama, but if we add them, then the WC roster might look like this:

Setter:

Tashiro and Miya Sato

Libero:

Kobata and Inoue

Opposite:

Shinnabe and Yolo

Middle Blocker:

Araki, Hirayama, Iwasaka (gawd, I really want to put Yamada there instead of Iwasaka but ...)

Outside Hitters:

Kurogo, Ishii, Ishikawa, Koga, Nabeya

As well as Mayu Ishikawa played this summer (2 X MVP), and as good as she is, 173cm is always going to make her a tough haul when you get to the big leagues. Just have to face that fact.

A final shoutout to MB Nichika Yamada who won the Best MB here. She's going to be on the senior NT sooner or later. But unless we adopt the All or None reversal perspective, she can sit this next one out. Nana Iwasaka is Senior Captain so she's not going anywhere.

• The chemistry this young squad has together is solid including with Coach Aihara. This is something some youth teams lack in my opinion and maybe even some senior NT. If Nakada invites some of these young players for the World Cup I think it would be a good idea to also add Aihara as an assistant. He knows these girls best, otherwise I'm not sure Nakada will know how to utilize them. Then again she probably won't and instead see's him as a threat to her position.

Ishikawa is making a name for herself, she plays like she's taller than she really is (if that makes sense). lol Yuki must be so proud to see his little sister grow. :heart:

• Pool F - JPN vs CHN

That's the same link as for JPN v THA Final. I'm getting these mixed up now as newer ones come online. This is the JPN vs CHN from that uploader, I think.

We got Damn Dumpster for Korean sources, VR Sports Fan for Thai, and Sport Channel who posted a 1080 50fps Final Match JPN v THA. I just found it and will watch it to see if there are missing points.

• Ishikawa is making a name for herself, she plays like she's taller than she really is (if that makes sense). lol Yuki must be so proud to see his little sister grow. :heart:

so the rumor is true? Ah, they got the volleyball blood in their family I guess

• If you have any Thatdao love looking for an outlet, she played a good game against Japan. Looks great. Angry kills. Wonderful.

• If you have any Thatdao love looking for an outlet, she played a good game against Japan. Looks great. Angry kills. Wonderful.

I love her, but she can improve her blocking though. She actually was rather similar to Yamada when she was around that age. And she used to do slides as well a few years back, but now she mainly hits in front of the setter and occasionally hits as WS in desperate rotations lol. Wished they would have used Tichakorn more too. She is young and promising, but saw very limited court time the whole tournament.

someone just made a clip of her actions vs Japan in the finals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq_dZ_vRNas

• Thatdao can’t do the slides as before due to the injury a few years back. She had to rest for 2 years and just came back during the Asian Games last year.

I agree that Tichakorn is very promising. They should allow the seniors rest and let the juniors to shine more.

• Thatdao can’t do the slides as before due to the injury a few years back. She had to rest for 2 years and just came back during the Asian Games last year.

I agree that Tichakorn is very promising. They should allow the seniors rest and let the juniors to shine more.

yeah, she isn't fully recovered, hopefully she eventually will be able to get her 2014-16 form again or at least close to it.

on the other note, I'm excited Thanacha will get a chance to develop further in the Japanese league this coming season. She does not posses the same qualities of skill as Chatchu-on and Pimpichaya when they were the same age as her, but she has potential. Excited to see how she will perform.