2019 FIVB Women's Club World Championship

• Why nightmare performance by de Kruijf? I agree she isn't playing good at the moment, but at the important moments she was there. Also she contributed well in block. She isn't effective in her attack as she used to be. But I have to say Wolosz forcing her by going 3 times in a row to her and than gets blocked. The rest of the match she only gets like 3 sets. You show real confidence in your player:whistle:

True, but besides the low % in attack I have seen her on court little reactive. Onestly I expect more from her.

• Any other coach would do that because it was a clear golden generation for turkey.

Gozde ozsoy neslihan eda toksoy naz gizem...

He should be blamed for the result of not making into knockout stage! He is definitely incompetent.

that is kinda unfair. TUR was in a pool with the strongest teams in london (BRA, CHN, US, KOR and SRB). in the other pool, all teams had to do to qualify was to beat GBR and ALG...

• Gio dislikes Ebrar and it pisses me off. There I said that! Like she had to yell crazily to make him challenge a ball that was indeed block out and he was like nah, ok lets sub you.

Haak says let's challenge insecurely. Gio: down!

he does not dislike her. but he was burned before in some other match, where she told him to challenge for a block touch, and twice she was wrong, so he told her harshly, "i'm not challenging anymore for you, you have to be sure!"

btw, like matthias, i only saw it from the 4th set on, and santarelli was throwing a tantrum at the 2nd referee and screaming like a lunatic, i'm surprised he didn't get a card...

• Nightmare performance by Sylla and De Krujif. Sylla acts like elite OH but she is just a good player. Vakif stats are very good.

did u see Hill`s numbers? She had 37% in attack while Sylla had 33%. But Sylla received 41 times vs Hill 26.

Sylla did actually well because she was able to hold the pass, same thing happened last year when they faced Vitra and Sylla received over 50 times.

Genaro with 24 receptions....Huge mistake serving on her. This is actually one of the reasons they lost. They were serving straight on Genaro :wall:...and she was was passing perfectly every time.

• People just don`t understand the reason the OH1 ( usually the bigger hitter) struggles with reception more, is because they have to receive the most as everyone is serving on them since they have the weakest reception. And by having a OH2 and libero with good reception, just puts even more pressure on OH1 as everyone will want to serve on her every time.

Look at Vasileva, she received 43 times vs Courtney 27 and Sonsonna 22. And this happens in almost every game.

but for example when you have Natalia and Kim, that are on the same level. They both basically split the amount of serve receive, as teams won`t ,aimly target only one of them. They will start by serving on both and see which one is better worse and go from there. But when you have a struggling libero that helps even more as people will serve on them as well.

Got check the amount of serve receive players like Plak and Anthi have vs what Onal and Maret have.....and so on.

Sylla playing with Hill L.Bosetti and Genaro is actually a nightmare for her, since they have great reception, no one wants to serve on them. But let`s say if Sylla played with Plak and a bad libero, well Sylla would be a beast as no one would be serving on her and she would be free to attack.

• People just don`t understand the reason the OH1 ( usually the bigger hitter) struggles with reception more, is because they have to receive the most as everyone is serving on them since they have the weakest reception. And by having a OH2 and libero with good reception, just puts even more pressure on OH1 as everyone will want to serve on her every time.

This is always puzzling to me because I watch different volleyball. Most, if not all, the best Japanese hitters are also the best receivers. They receive, pass, and kill the ball ALL the time. Seems like their preferred way of playing

• This is always puzzling to me because I watch different volleyball. Most, if not all, the best Japanese hitters are also the best receivers. They receive, pass, and kill the ball ALL the time. Seems like their preferred way of playing

Everyone can receives decently in Japan imo. Myabe it is because of their fast tempo offense to crack the opponent's tall blocks that pushed them to receive better.

• Disappointing finish by Tianjin against a Guangdong team who didn't even have Kosheleva, Lin Li, and Zheng Yixin. Anybody know the extent of Zhu's injury, I know it's related to her wrist, but how bad is it?

• Mei Xiao-han beats Yao Di today.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• Disappointing finish by Tianjin against a Guangdong team who didn't even have Kosheleva, Lin Li, and Zheng Yixin. Anybody know the extent of Zhu's injury, I know it's related to her wrist, but how bad is it?

The rumor: Zhu will quit this reason and I guess perhaps she will just return before VNL 2020.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• This is always puzzling to me because I watch different volleyball. Most, if not all, the best Japanese hitters are also the best receivers. They receive, pass, and kill the ball ALL the time. Seems like their preferred way of playing

Japanese hitters are usually very small. It will be easy for them to receive, and their attacking rate is usually lower than the usual main hitter from other team.

Being tall means it is very hard to receive, or dig a ball because speed will be decreased as the height increases. That's why it's exceptionally hard to find OH who is tall and have good defense like KYK.

• that is kinda unfair. TUR was in a pool with the strongest teams in london (BRA, CHN, US, KOR and SRB). in the other pool, all teams had to do to qualify was to beat GBR and ALG...

Okay I'll agree that Turkey was in the pool of death. But turkey getting qualified to olympics in 2012 has not much things done by motta.

It was turkish golden generation definitely. Excluding that, motta has achieved no more. He got eczasibasi's head coach because of 2012, and now he is just doing the tasks purely by player's power.

Look at guidetti. Vakifbank has been top club for several years, and vakif was not always the favorite, but he has made difference and finally got bunch of trophies.

Look at Lavarini. He made minas to get 4 trophies last year. You can say that was because minas have good players like natalia and gabi. However he made dramatic changes in korean NT this year and they placed in the 6th though he played 2 games(russia, netherlands) with substitutes. Now he is a head coach in Busto Arsizio, making the team runner-up which was actually not expected before the season starts.

Eczasibashi is a big club. Big club needs good coaches, like they need good players. Motta might be okay with normal club, but he is definitely unfit for team like eczasibashi which is working to get bunch of trophies.

• Japanese hitters are usually very small. It will be easy for them to receive, and their attacking rate is usually lower than the usual main hitter from other team.

Being tall means it is very hard to receive, or dig a ball because speed will be decreased as the height increases. That's why it's exceptionally hard to find OH who is tall and have good defense like KYK.

In theory, in general, sure. How tall is Sylla? Compared to Saori, Ishii, Kurogo, etc?

It just seems to me that everyone talks about this—receiving and attacking—like it’s something that can’t be done.

• In theory, in general, sure. How tall is Sylla? Compared to Saori, Ishii, Kurogo, etc?

It just seems to me that everyone talks about this—receiving and attacking—like it’s something that can’t be done.

It is not impossible, but it is definitely a hard thing to do. And a player who can do that will be very special and will get paid more than any other players.

Ishii, Saori are much taller than the rest of japanese player. They are and were the first option of japanese team. I think they are good player but have some limit actually because of height and power. If we think back in years when saori was in vakif and galatasaray, it seems true for me.

• It is not impossible, but it is definitely a hard thing to do. And a player who can do that will be very special and will get paid more than any other players.

Ishii, Saori are much taller than the rest of japanese player. They are and were the first option of japanese team. I think they are good player but have some limit actually because of height and power. If we think back in years when saori was in vakif and galatasaray, it seems true for me.

I dunno. Reception takes practice. Some people don't like to practice

It's one thing to say shorter people have an advantage in reception --just as taller people have an advantage in attack. It's another thing to say if you receive a serve you shouldn't (or shouldn't be able to) attack. I mean, if the serve sends you to the floor and you get off the floor like a wounded horse, yeah, don't try to attack that one.

What is the cutoff point? 180? If you're over that you shouldn't be expected to be able to receive and attack? We know the exceptions to that. The great players.

A lot of people say you want to free your best attacker from reception so they are free to attack. I sort of get that. But in the volleyball I watch most of the time there is no inhibition to attacking the ball if you received it. None.

• When you receive, you have to bend your body and if the balls come to you right after that, you have to get up rapidly and go to the ball. It needs a great effort to do that. If you do only one part of it, then it will be much comfortable plus saving the stamina which is very important to show your performance till the end of the match.

Okay. I know japanese players are awesome receivers, that is a definite fact. However they don't stand out very much in attacks though they have solid receptions which can made attacking much easier. I think japanese players can do great job when they play as 2nd OH of the team.

And I didn't mean height equals to attacking abilities. Though height occupies a very large part to perform, it can be compensated by other parts like jump or power. But I think japanese attackers aren't competitive enough in this point either.

The player whom we call 'great' is well deserve that name. It is really hard to do both attack-defense well.

• When you receive, you have to bend your body and if the balls come to you right after that, you have to get up rapidly and go to the ball. It needs a great effort to do that. If you do only one part of it, then it will be much comfortable plus saving the stamina which is very important to show your performance till the end of the match.

It's not about who is good at this or that. I was interested in the ramifications of doing both. If you receive serve should you automatically assume your number of sets and/or your hitting percentage will go down? Or premature match fatigue sets in? I don't see that in Japan volleyball. That's why I was puzzled by why it seems like it's a rule or something

If you suck at reception and think it's impacting what you want to do as an attacker, practice your reception. Or don't :)