2019 Asian Senior Men's Volleyball Championship (20th edition, in Iran)

• Iran's roster is the same as the VNL final. they only replaced Manavinejad with World U21 MVP A. H. Esfandiar (no injury. just a technical decision)

according to the coaches, the only reason Iran is participating with A team is the Olympic Qualification ! top 8 from this tournament qualify for the AVC qualifier in January and being in the same group with Qatar and Australia, they weren't sure if B team can advance from the first round (which is necessary for a top 8 finish)

I don't know about Japan but it seems the rest are here with A teams. for the same reason as Iran.

• Hi, generally I am not opening threads, but this one was missing.

Anyone can help with rosters? Especially China, Japan, Iran, South Korea, ecc....

Still nothing here on official site
    https://asianvolleyball.net/ne…-volleyball-championship/

nothing wrong with new threads...

the rosters are now listed here:

https://asianvolleyball.net/ne…9-DailyBulletin-01_R2.pdf

it seems everybody is taking this seriously. AUS, CHN, IRN, KOR all with A teams, even JPN, that's already qualified for olympics...

from the results, it seems IND upset KAZ, and AUS had a surprisingly hard time against QAT. other than that, not many surprises so far...

ACV ranking seems so off, that's how AUS and IRN ended in the same group...

• it seems everybody is taking this seriously. AUS, CHN, IRN, KOR all with A teams, even JPN, that's already qualified for olympics...

from the results, it seems IND upset KAZ, and AUS had a surprisingly hard time against QAT. other than that, not many surprises so far...

ACV ranking seems so off, that's how AUS and IRN ended in the same group...

the seeding was based on the 2017 tournament where Australia didn't "shine" . same as Iran with U23 team but that's irreverent, Iran is top seed as the host anyway. Qatar was probably the victim of that. I think they could qualify from any other group. they still have a chance to finish 9th and at least qualify for the AVC Olympic Qualifier.

I'm surprised Japan is with A team, interesting everybody took this seriously. finally a competitive Asian Championships after a while.

• Losing to Australia turned out to be a good thing ! not only because that was a wake up call. that actually made it easier for Iran in the knockout round. thanks to South Korea's win over Japan.

Quarterfinals

Iran vs Chinese Taipei

South Korea vs India

----

Australia vs Pakistan

Japan vs China

• i just assumed they'd go straight into semis, i don't know why i thought that... in any event, CHN might still not make it to semis...

any videos of this tournament? nothing shows up on YT... it'd be interesting to see JPN x KOR and AUS x IRN.

• Thailand has a high jumping lefty OP. I wonder why they didn't use him much in the match against Japan? Thailand is way lower level and ranked compared to Japan, but I wanted to see the THA and JAP leftys go head to head for fun and how he would hold against them. Though it's already too late now for any kind of rematch as they didn't even qualify for the top 8.

• Thailand has a high jumping, hard hitting lefty OP. I wonder why they didn't use him much in the match against Japan? Thailand is way lower level and ranked compared to Japan, but I wanted to see the THA and JAP leftys go head to head for fun and how he would hold against them. Though it's already too late now for any kind of rematch as they didn't even qualify for the top 8.

This caught my attention. Here is a highlights video from Thailand's match against Hong Kong, the mentioned opposite appears in sets 2, 3, and 4, wearing jersey number 2 (Amorntep).

He is too short, though. He seems to have a nice technique but I don't know if he's that hard-hitting indeed :)

• This caught my attention. Here is a highlights video from Thailand's match against Hong Kong, the mentioned opposite appears in sets 2, 3, and 4, wearing jersey number 2 (Amorntep).

He is too short, though. He seems to have a nice technique but I don't know if he's that hard-hitting indeed :)

Yes, he's the one. But yeah, you're right too about his hitting isnt the strongest. I think he has a lot of potential to be even better with a better coaching staff and trainer.

• Australia survived another tiebreak against a lower ranked team. this time in the knockout round against Pakistan !

Semis

Iran vs South Korea

Australia vs Japan

if Iran plays like today, I don't think they can win the title. Chinese Taipei was in the match for all 3 sets. the team looks not motivated at all. even Kolakovic had to tell them "this is the quarterfinal FFS, move yourself"

the match for 9th place between Qatar and Kazakhstan is also important to qualify the last Asian team for the AOQT. even though I won't be surprised if teams like India and Pakistan later withdraw. but they had close games today in the QF, maybe they think they have a chance in OQT.

• very strange score, did AUS really play badly or is there more parity in the men's division this year? are PAK (and TPE) really improved?

AUS also struggled against QAT in first round...

also, was there a limit by AVC on having only 16 teams? it looks like it could have been a tournament with at least 24 teams, as many teams are not here (IRQ, KSA, KGZ, TKM, UZB, AFG, NEP, VIE, MYA, PHI, NZL etc.).

• very strange score, did AUS really play badly or is there more parity in the men's division this year? are PAK (and TPE) really improved?

AUS also struggled against QAT in first round...

also, was there a limit by AVC on having only 16 teams? it looks like it could have been a tournament with at least 24 teams, as many teams are not here (IRQ, KSA, KGZ, TKM, UZB, AFG, NEP, VIE, MYA, PHI, NZL etc.).

Yes. there is a limit of 16. even though those teams do not participate all the time. you always have some of them in the tournament. I think we had 20 teams at the Asian Games. it could be more here without that limit.

PAK and TPE aren't "that" bad. they can surprise top Asian teams in a good day, they never win (at least not yet) though but they can take 1-2 sets. if all teams send their A squad. we usually end up with top 5 (IRN, JPN AUS KOR CHN) in top 5 places.